Clock Jitter Cleaners - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th October 2008, 09:08 PM   #31
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by excelon
it will be only a board, perhaps 250 mm. long in the final form though the digital circuitry will take less space. There aren't any cables, only (paired-for differential, same length) PCB tracks. I'll try to keep them as short as possible without using vias. Also, I'll isolate these drivers from the rest of chips (having it's own PS) so CPLD isn't a solution anymore...
thanx
It will depend on the jitter requirements of the DAC / ADC, if LVDS is allowed, the analogue output noise level may get worse.

A good single ended coax will do a better job, for sure

best
Old 30th October 2008, 12:58 AM   #32
diyAudio Member

how far the "proaudio" style Wordclock can travel safely using the standard BNC termination? Sadly the grimm clock missing these details and I read all kinds of stuff on the net. I want about 5-10 meters, cause PC with wordclock io on soundcard is "kicked out" of the room.
Old 30th October 2008, 08:11 AM   #33
excelon is offline excelon  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
It will depend on the jitter requirements of the DAC / ADC, if LVDS is allowed, the analogue output noise level may get worse.
the DAC uses four PCM1794A chips for a stereo configuration. Every DAC will need three synchronous clock signals: I2S Bit-Clock/Word-Clock and System Clock. Fortunately, there are no ADCs on that board.

Quote:
A good single ended coax will do a better job
A very good ideea though, I must admit, it's an exotic one. Besides that... it would need too many cables/connectors for every DAC chip.
Best regards!
Old 30th October 2008, 10:39 AM   #34
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tritosine
how far the "proaudio" style Wordclock can travel safely using the standard BNC termination? Sadly the grimm clock missing these details and I read all kinds of stuff on the net. I want about 5-10 meters, cause PC with wordclock io on soundcard is "kicked out" of the room.
The allowed cable length is not a property of the wordclock generator, "endless" lengths of coax can be driven, the transmission losses unfortunately reduce the lenghts to practical ones, but 10 meter is no problem: Look at the cable specs.

best
Old 30th October 2008, 10:40 AM   #35
diyAudio Member

Quote:

A very good ideea though, I must admit, it's an exotic one. Besides that... it would need too many cables/connectors for every DAC chip.
Best regards!
LVDS using PCB traces is more exotic, in my perception

Forget about the connectors, coax can be solder connected to the board.

Why the huge distance between source and DAC chips ? Move the DACs to where you need them, and extend the analogue output signal: Less hassle

best
Old 30th October 2008, 02:51 PM   #36
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to quantran Send a message via MSN to quantran Send a message via Yahoo to quantran
I have tried to order one but no response.

Quote:
Originally posted by 00940
muckrake: a clock costs 25 (30 with vat) at tentlabs. Not a bad deal for a audio specialty shop. And you don't have to buy 100.
Old 30th October 2008, 03:28 PM   #37
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by quantran
I have tried to order one but no response.

No response yet, I am way behind in answering Emails but will get back to you soon

best
Old 30th October 2008, 08:40 PM   #38
excelon is offline excelon  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
LVDS using PCB traces is more exotic, in my perception
well, in this case we have different opinions about "exotic" implementations. Excluding the care for PCB layout, I thing that differentialing is still a good approach with good benefits.
Quote:
Why the huge distance between source and DAC chips ? Move the DACs to where you need them, and extend the analogue output signal: Less hassle
yes, I'll do that: it's one of the main board's constraints. I'll make a block schematic for better understanding. In the end, I guess that the distance between DACs and clock source is less than 250 mm long.
best
Old 31st October 2008, 08:20 AM   #39
diyAudio Member

Quote:

well, in this case we have different opinions about "exotic" implementations. Excluding the care for PCB layout, I thing that differentialing is still a good approach with good benefits.

yes, I'll do that: it's one of the main board's constraints. I'll make a block schematic for better understanding. In the end, I guess that the distance between DACs and clock source is less than 250 mm long.
best

Differential signalling only works as long as the full path is diffeerentiasl. Given all parasitics on biards, that is a ahard job. Coax is much better - been there, done that.

And you "should" place the clock close to the DACs, that is rule number one with DAC design.

best
Old 31st October 2008, 03:44 PM   #40
diyAudio Member

Nice to see the clock expert find this thread!
Hey Guido checked your site and wondering if you know
freq. for Denon DVD-2910 as listing is just for CD transports/
players. Also have a Theta Data II that I'm not sure if it's worth
doing new clock or if it is more critical in outboard DAC?

Hide this!Advertise here!