"sound card" vs external DACs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
" ... I just use a 24/96 Sound Blaster Audigy, it works for me. ... if you are worried about anything beyond 24 bit/96khz, will you actually be able to HEAR the difference with your sound system? ... I DJ and what is more important? Absolute clarity bringing a van load of records? Or portability of having all of the music that i need on an external hard drive? Isnt it enough for the "audio purists" that we haul 70lb AB class amplifiers to every gig ... the tweaks to eliminate the awful sounds of the PC power supply. I have experienced those problems and would love to be free of them ... there is definitely something to be said for spending more money on a better sound card. We get what we pay for after all. ... "

A lot of territory to cover ... But it looks like you have a handle on it. That Sound Blaster Audigy? = no problem found IMOP. Whatever gets the stereo signal out of the media device and into the DAC and squirts 24 bit / 96K analog into the PA = about as good as it can get.

Free advise ... and worth every penny:

You might consider removing all unused PCI (etc.) cards from your PC media player = the fewer cards, the smaller the load on the host internal switching supply = this will increase the noise floor = dump the modem cards, extra ethernet cards, etc. and remove external hard drive connections, too = SCSI, SATA, USB and FireWire external drives may pirate power from the host PC, even where they are plugged in to the wall, and those cables act as antenna for "spurious radiation" like CB radios & cell phones = pipelines of power supply noise. You might also consider removing all internal, but not used drives, except for the DVD/CD player of course if you need it on stage, but who needs the parasitic floppy and "back up" hard drive(s), get one big one instead. I've seen significant noise floor improvements on the 'scope from removal of those extra devices. ... even extra RAM and co-processor boards can kill the switching supply noise floor, use only what you actually need. (Same, same for laptops.)

I'm sure there are mods-a-plenty for the SB, but I would not change much unless you want to break it. Sound Blaster does make some very good sound cards, and they have been at it for more than a decade = confidence is high.

It is possible to see further improvements by going with an external "sound card" (DAC). But, no need to spend extra unless you still have noise and there are no other options. (This "divorces" the "sound card" from the host PC supply, altogether. Tweakers and audiophiles will even power an external DAC/ACD sound device from a 12 volt battery to get clean power for the DAC, but that would be cumbersome for you.)

(Further reference, contact my favorite nephew, http://djvajra.com )

20-bit / 24-bit DAC with linux drivers?

Hi,
I am trying to do something similar and my purpose is for setting up a Data acquistion system at least a 20-bit DAC. My OS is a Real time linux system and the other I/O boards (from NI) have drivers from COMEDI.

Can someone suggest me a 20-bit (or more) DAC which has linux drivers?

Thanks.

M-audio Fast Track Ultra 8R
M-audio Fast Track Ultra
Tascam US-1641
Tascam US-144
Alesis IO-2
ALESIS MULTIMIX 16 USB 2.0
DIGIDESIGN MBOX 2
MOTU 828 MK II USB 2.0
EMU 0202
EMU 0404
LINE6 TONEPORT UX8
INFRASONIC AMON
ESI ESU 1808
EDIROL UA-101
MARIAN UCON CX

Just to name a few - the list is much longer!
I use the MOTU 828mk3 which features firewire only. I'm not sure, but the mk2 is the same?

mentioning remastered older recordings. Of course those recordings were not dealing with software based - VST or other - dynamics processors, equalizers and other effects processing.
In acknowledgment of T.C. Electronics excellent white paper, especially the many CD players that poorly handle illegal overs (+0 dBFS), I recommend recording practices that track at -20 dBFS, which allow for the further processing with dynamics software, eq, etc., especially at the mastering house.
Some recording and mastering engineers adhere to this, but it is still amazing at this time that many are under the impression, primarily from the 16 bit days, that optimum gain staging require as close to 0 dBFS as possible even though most use more than adequate 24 bit ancillary equipment, 24 bit recording format and 32 or 64 bit mix engines.
For a clearer analysis, see Paul Frindle regarding his excellent forum posts/replies at Pro Sound Web's Mastering Forum regarding Levels and gain issues.

PSW Recording Forums: Reason In Audio => DAW & Desks: Is ANYBODY actually still mixing on their desk?.

This is only a tiny section regarding this subject, but there is more scattered around that site especially well written stuff from Paul.
Maybe this is off topic, but good stuff none-the-less.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.