Improvements to TDA1541 dac output stage? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th August 2008, 08:48 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Improvements to TDA1541 dac output stage?

I'm looking at buying a TDA1541 dac kit and would be grateful for some advice. The schematic shows two opamp stages for each channel. Is this optimal? Could the scheme be simplified/improved?

Thanks in advance :-)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tda1541 dac.jpg (55.5 KB, 1050 views)
Old 24th August 2008, 10:09 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Could I just replace the output stage with this simple stage from the datasheet?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tda1541a datasheet output stage.jpg (12.4 KB, 891 views)
Old 25th August 2008, 02:44 PM   #3
oshifis is online now oshifis  Hungary
diyAudio Member

My philosophy is the simpler is the better. You can get rid of the 2.2nF capacitors, as well. The next step will be to go for no-oversampling (removing the SAA7220), then rolling the opamps... This is a never-ending game.
Don't forget the output of the opamp will be at DC so a blocking capacitor is needed. It is in the signal path, so...
Old 25th August 2008, 02:52 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

The first schematic I posted is incorrect - here is a corrected version:
Attached Images
File Type: gif japan tda1541a dac v2_f5m6wfw8ogvo.gif (26.3 KB, 914 views)
Old 25th August 2008, 02:57 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I plan on using LME49710 opamps instead of the OPA2604 shown.

Would sound quality improve if I just use one opamp per channel without the 2.2nF cap?

What is the second opamp on each channel for? Is this a low pass filter for rolling off the >20KHz digital rubbish? If so, I think I can live without it (I'm used to TDA1543 non-oversampling dacs without filtering).
Old 25th August 2008, 03:08 PM   #6
poynton is offline poynton  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Location: A life on the ocean waves when I'm not at home in N. Wales (but I'm not Welsh so no sheep jokes!)
First opamp is the i/v converter, 2nd opamp is the lowpass filter.

Improve the power supply - separate the analog and digital 5v etc

Replace the clock with a better version

Use a tube i/v and output

Where do you stop??

Andy
Old 26th August 2008, 07:22 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
My philosophy is the simpler is the better. You can get rid of the 2.2nF capacitors, as well. The next step will be to go for no-oversampling (removing the SAA7220), then rolling the opamps... This is a never-ending game.
Be careful! My first DAC was a TDA1541A, and I simply implemented that opamp circuit without the capacitors and it worked great. BUT, I was using a slow opamp, and when I upgraded to anything just reasonably faster, the sound would collapse after a few seconds, and the opamp would get too hot to touch. I reckon the opamp was forced into oscillation. I was really surprised it was that cap at first. I spent a lot of time reworking the power rail decoupling and grounding and stuff like that before I noticed the missing cap was the problem.

Also, I implemented NOS and it sounded awesome, but it sounded much better when I added an SAA7220P/B. But this was a DAC, not in situ, in a CD player, so my recloking was perhaps different.

Sorry, Oshifis, I very rarely disagree with you!

But, there's loads you can do
Old 26th August 2008, 07:39 AM   #8
Mooly is online now Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

If you are doing any mods and component changes around the output OpAmps and filters than at the very least you have to do some simple measurement's to back up the changes, even if it's just a 20-20khz sweep from a test CD to make sure you havn't altered the response.

Have a read at Marantz CD50 Mod that is just stunning
Post #10 I actually measured the effects of this one.
Old 26th August 2008, 10:09 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

My inclination would be to drop the SAA7220 and low pass filter stage, to give a non-oversampling dac with active I/V (LME49710).

Any thoughts?
Old 26th August 2008, 11:07 AM   #10
poynton is offline poynton  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Location: A life on the ocean waves when I'm not at home in N. Wales (but I'm not Welsh so no sheep jokes!)
Quote:
Originally posted by sharpi31
My inclination would be to drop the SAA7220 and low pass filter stage, to give a non-oversampling dac with active I/V (LME49710).

Any thoughts?

The schematic shown in post 4 does not use the SAA7220 and so is already NOS.

Andy

Hide this!Advertise here!