behringer dcx 2496

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,I need some help hooking up ACI Titan sub to Behringer
DCX 2496 .Where would you make these connections,I have
the xlr to rca adaptors.Also how would you connect a
Intergrated amp so you can usethe volume control and amp
for tweeters
Thanks for any help
buffalo52

Intergrated amp \Antique Sound Labs
Amp /Rogue88
speakers/ Hawthorne/ Silver Iris
Raysonic 128 cd

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
buffalo52 said:
for tweeters
Thanks for any help
buffalo52

Intergrated amp \Antique Sound Labs
Amp /Rogue88
speakers/ Hawthorne/ Silver Iris
Raysonic 128 cd

I think the best way to find out about that is to familiarize yourself with the behringer. there's a manual on-line if you don't have it.
You need to decide which channels (1-6) you want to use for which freq range (sub, mid/high, high). Then select a xover frequency and filter type, depending on the freq range of your speakers.
The DCX should be set up for these parameters; you should then store this setup.
Then it's just a matter of connecting your amps to the selected channels. You can use the integrated amp to set the hf level wrt the others, but the overall level control with a Behringer is a pain.
That's why I developed the remote control level setup for it ;)

Jan Didden

buffalo52 said:
for tweeters

buffalo52,

You could use the preamp section of your integrated to feed the DCX, and then output the high frequency channels to the amplifier section. I'll assume you have other amplifiers for the sub.

You're unlikely to be very satisified with this for there are two issues. The first is that the voltage levels on this unit are pro level, rather than consumer. It's a 4:1 difference. The second is that you need a way to control the volume. The two are somewhat related.

Most users on this forum have shied away from controlling the volume input into the DCX, since you lose resolution at lower volumes. Therefore, it is preferred to adjust the volume after the DCX. Many schemes have been developed in the DIY community for doing this, most relying on digitally controlled pots and a microcontroller of sorts. Jan Didden has a very elegant solution that you may wish to explore.

Regarding the signal levels, to get the most out of the DCX you ideally want to operate it with pro level voltage signals. One way to neatly sidestep this issue is to feed a digital signal straight in. You still have to deal with outputs, however, as the DCX can put out nearly 10 Vrms at max, while your typically consumer level audio amplifier will clip at 1.5 Vrms. And you then need to control the volume on the output, up to 6 channels.

Really what I want is something like a Sony TA-P9000, but with the signal matching built in. My solution for these issues is to route the digital output from my CD/DVD player into the DCX. Then use a motor operated 6-gang pot to control the volume on the output. To deal with the voltage difference, I've purchased some inexpensive impedance matching transformers. All this should yield a box that allows me to control volume, either via a knob or remote, and deliver the appropriate voltages to my power amplifiers. Detractors of this approach will say that tracking of a multi-gang pot is poor.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.