anyone know the RMS output of an ipod?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Sek,
Noticed you had measured output level from the dock, thanks.
Line-level close to 0dBU is perfect!

Have you opened a dock? Seems like they have 10k in series from the 30-pin and after that 100k to ground in my Nano dock. In other words they have ruined it by making Zout just below 10k. Will use my magnifying-glass tonight and bypass the 10k or take the signal before it to the RCAs. Will apart from getting a low Zout also get about 1dB higher level.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Hi Revintage,

well i have no idea, it worked on my 4G grayscale some years back.

i am not tech support so am not sure, did you download the bottom link not the top one? (for the nano)

also, i see to remember i had to restore mine for it to take.

good point, i cant see that it specifys HP or lineout, thinking about it, if its a cap imposed by apple, it surely would limit all signal outs, so one would have thought it would lift the HP and the lineout, similar to the sony NW-HD5's sound pressure tweak.

i cant remember, sry, i didnt bother with this after i got a red wine audio hardware imod, havent looked back since!

Hi Lars,

good job on modding that Nano Dock. :)

I used to work on a Universal Dock (manufctured 2005) back in the thread - which is different from the Nano Dock both in functionality and in the electronic components employed.

I've also got a 2006 Nano Dock. It's output jack appears to be driven directly by the nano's line out (via the series R). The Universal Dock employs a dedicated Codec with the DAC output connected to the output jack - directly, probably due to a filter internal to the IC.

Cheers,
Sebastian.

Hello Sek!

Will record a 1kHz and a 20-20kHz sweep in wave-format with Soundforge to determin output voltage from my Nano/dock. I only use wave-format in my Nano. Will also, at the same time, measure frequency response.

For using it with Nano G4 I had to remove some plastic to make it work. Charging through the dock does not work, though.

Didn´t run a sweep but 20, 1k and 20k. Recorded in SF at -6dB (think this is to be looked upon as 0dB) and moved to G2 and G4 Nanos.

20 and 20k where within 0,2dB from 1k. It´s within the used equipments accuracy. Will install Audio-Tester later, used analog eq. now.

G2 put out 1Vrms through the dock, G4 1,2Vrms.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.