BB PCM 1702 vs 1704

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am buliding a dac and need to decide between the BB PCM 1702K and the PCM 1704K.
I prefer the 1702 as it is easier to implement in a DIY application however I want the best I can get so can anyone provide some advice?

I have tested both chips and percieved the 1704 to give better low level resolution but in all fairness it was not a completly comparably set up (DIY bit clock as compared to a std one and slightly different layout) whick is why I am confused, afterall the only datasheet benefit (on 16-20 bit material) of the 1704 is slightly (1-2 dB) lower THD at 0dB.

I used the PCM63K before and recently switced to the 1702K and was actually pretty dissapointed, the 63 had a much fuller and engaging reproduction then the 1702.

I would be great if anyone could share their expereiance of going from the 1702K to the 1704K, perhaps there is no point and I need to consider going back to the 63K:confused:

DAC Sound

A 8 said:
I used the PCM63K before and recently switced to the 1702K and was actually pretty dissapointed, the 63 had a much fuller and engaging reproduction then the 1702.

I would be great if anyone could share their expereiance of going from the 1702K to the 1704K, perhaps there is no point and I need to consider going back to the 63K:confused:

Hi A 8,
Thanks for your post. Thus far I have found NO correlation between the sound of a DACchip and harmonic distortion or any other spec. By trial and error I ended at TDA1543 (NON-OS) after done a lot of chips like CXD2552Q, AD1851, AD1864, AD1865N-J, AD1865N-K, TDA1541AS1.
I have heard the PCM63 in the Treurniet DAC, forgot his brandname (Sorry Pieter) and I agree it is a nice DAC comparable to AD1865 sonically.
Todays trend is for more bits and higher sampling rates. Even with upsampling. After having heard some upsampling DAC's like Musical Fidility and Electrocompaniet at my friends house I can only say: "I am not impressed" Sure these upsamplers have more air in the highs but are also are more fatiguing and less musical to my ears. I also miss the impact of the bass. The latter always a problem when I switch back to LP of the same disc.
[size=huge]What is it that the LP has so much more bass, weight and slamm???[/size]:confused: :confused: :confused: :bawling: :bawling: :bawling: :bigeyes:

Joined 2002
Paid Member
I do not agree...

...but it do not help you...?

Maybe my Oracle/SME do not give that slam, maybe my RIAA (several of them)...

Or maybe you should try other CD - transports?
Playing Vangelis or Faithless on CD sometimes scares me with the deep & powerful bassnotes, and Santana Supernatural has slam so you blink your eyes!
(Your Clock also helps here!)

Arne K

Going with the PCM1704K

Thx all,

The reason for fiddeling away from the 63 was that I wanted a 20-24/96 capable dac to be used for dvd-audio and other dvd's like Roger Waters (PCM20/48) and David Gilmore (PCM24/48) and being tired of all the jitter issues with my old set up (CS8412/SM5813/PCM63K) I wanted re-sampling.
The 63 is more complicted to implement in a "jitterfree" re-sampling dac as it will trigger analog out based on the wordclock, the 1702 and 1704 will do it based on the bitclock so one just connect it directly to the master clock...

Anyway...I have decided to go with the PCM1704K as it in my setup seemes to give slightly softer sound witout loosing transparancy, resolution or precision.

Michael

Sorry Elso...I gave up vinyl back in -89 been trying to re-create the emotional experiance since......think I passed it in -94 then got lost (tweaked it to death 50 times...ran out of money...got kids ......gave up).
I think I am getting there again.......tonight was *********g amazing.

Really Elso, there is less wrong with digital then vinyl...I really can't stand the thd on the last tracks and the 600 watts going into my 4 12" woofers that goes completly balistic due to rumble... forget it, digital is the way to go ;)

Other then that it smells great..........

My '1704s sound great. And I have lots of friends that agree with me.

They better.......I charged them for the privilege.

A really good clock is essential to get good bass, and clean highs. Otherwise, it can be a tad annoying in the top end. And in some cases, floppy on the bottom.

Jocko

Got the 1704K running now and they seem to be really good....midrange is amazingly clean, had some issues with lower end but it was fixed when tweaking the transport with a few oscon 1000uF caps.
They are growing on me every day and I would not want to switch back to the PCM63K.

Ayon CD5

Hello all,

I've a big problem with a Ayon CD5 I had to replace twice a PCM1704K chip, and now it's the third time. In the past I could find without problem genuine TI PCM1704K, but it's seems to be a problem today. So I don't know what to do.
Is there a drop in replacement for this cheap ? I don't care too much if it's not as good as, it's a second system player, and I want to keep this race car because a lot of work has been done on it.
Ok that's not normal that one the 1704K break so often it's a weak point of this player, each time I connect or disconnect the XLR/RCA/Digital cables while the unit is switched on, I sooner of later know that a 1704 will die, it has been confirmed by a Ayon technician :xeye:

So, any kind advice to help me ?

Here's the main board with the PCM1704K x4 in the bottom and OPA627 x4 just above.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.
viewer.php

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.