Airport Express - digital output?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi folks!

I'm considering purchasing an Apple Airport Express for connection to my stereo. There's a couple of things I'd like clarified if anyone out there is using one. I'll be using it with Windows Vista Home Premium.

1) I know there's an optical digital out on the Express, but my DPA DAC does not use this. Can I connect my USB-SPDIF converter to the USB socket on the Airport Express? And then connect from the converter to my DPA as per normal?

2) Secondly, I have read that when using Airport Express with iTunes you get bit-perfect output (the ONLY way with iTunes and Windows Vista). Is this indeed the case?

Many thanks.

- John

Can only respond to question 1, and that would be no. It needs to be a printer. Can't hurt to try, I would do it for you if I had the converter. This printer basically shows up in Bonjour for use by the OS. Can't imagine how that would work with audio. Does itunes have the ability to search for Bonjour devices?

Toslink to SPDIF converter does work well, though- it's what I use. Greatly enhanced performance (no more glitches) by powering the converter off battery. Cheap wall wart just had too much RF noise leaking through.

Looks like it's not possible - that USB port can only be used with a printer or the remote control.

However, I'll try and get the circuit diagram from somewhere, and install my own 75-ohm BNC SPDIF output. Shoudn't be too hard to do...... he says ;)

Anyone else tried this?

Edit: Seems like they have. Hope this is of interest to someone. I'm definately going to try this:

http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/index.php?topic=14992.msg150326

Trouble with that is it adds another stage. Nothing wrong with optical in theory, but the cheap implementation one finds on units like the Airport Express can be bettered by picking up the circuit before the optics, and - hopefully - take this out to an SPDIF. Hopefully all that's needed is some resistors to set the correct output. Really need to get hold of a circuit diagram but no luck thus far :(

Thanks for the suggestion though :)

I recently got airport express (last revision) analog outputs sound very harsh. I purchased spdif->toslink converter, fed it to monica 2 dac, same harsh sound.
I'm using same dac with sony cd player it doesn't sound anything like that.
so airport somehow manages to screw up signal, I wonder if it does any oversampling before its' digital signal output.
could it be caused by itunes? maybe it does some preprocessing..

Hmmm. Definitely not my experience. I use a RAKK DAC II with dual spdif inputs. One if fed by a standard CDP, one by the Airport Express. Can't tell a whole lot of difference between them; I have heard the AE is 'bit perfect', whatever that means. Might be something else going on.

I did have a problem with my toslink-spdif converter. The wall wart supplying the 9V to the converter was full of RF hash, and it coupled into the DAC, eventually out to the tube stage. This hash would confuse the DAC, producing squeaks and hiccups in the output.

Resolved this by using a battery to supply the converter; no issues whatsover (until the battery runs low after about 4 hours). I haven't gotten around yet to building a better, quieter 9V supply. Running off batteries is a PITA.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
If you don't want or can't use the toslink output, almost any can be converted to coax. You just pick the signal off the PCB where it goes into the optical block.

As mentioned in a few posts above.

Same signal, different connector.

Also remember that with the AE you are locked into using iTunes. At lest on the PC - AFAIK. There is an AE hack for Windows, but I never got it to work.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.