Help me fix my DEQ2496 please... - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2008, 05:18 PM   #1
diyAudio Member
 
MikeHunt79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Bristol, UK
Unhappy Help me fix my DEQ2496 please...

It was working fine until recently, and now just the display backlight (and the optical out led) comes on and it does not boot...

I'm guessing the first thing to do is check the voltages from the PSU, but if these check out to be ok what would be the next thing to do?

EDIT: Also, what's the VR1 pot for? Display contrast?

EDIT2: The PSU seems to be putting out the correct voltages, what else can I check?
  Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2008, 12:17 AM   #2
rossl is offline rossl  United States
diyAudio Member
 
rossl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Central Ohio
the connector from the power supply to the cpu board is bad on some of these units.

pull off the connector at the cpu board and make sure the crimps are good.

that's the first thing I would do.
  Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2008, 12:38 PM   #3
diyAudio Member
 
MikeHunt79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Bristol, UK
Quote:
Originally posted by rossl
the connector from the power supply to the cpu board is bad on some of these units.

pull off the connector at the cpu board and make sure the crimps are good.

that's the first thing I would do.
Ok, I've done that. I also measured the voltages again this time from the CPU board, and they check out OK. I'll see if I can check the regulators on the CPU board also....
  Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2008, 02:08 PM   #4
zanash is offline zanash  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Notts
contact tenson on zerogain.com ....he mods these units and must know all the bad things that can happen .....

I've a deq 2496 but have only mildly worked over the units psu and its always worked fine ...
  Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2008, 02:37 PM   #5
kepa1 is offline kepa1  France
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Paris
I know that the connectors from the Input/Output board to the mother board of the DCX2496 have flaws, so it might be the same on the DEQ.
To solve that, you could replace the flat cable or simply bend the male connectors to get a better contact.
  Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2008, 02:51 PM   #6
FrankWW is offline FrankWW  Canada
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: n/a
DEQ 2496 not booting.

You may get lucky - simple fix.

The main circuit board can 'short' against the bottom of the case. I've seen two cases like this.

Before you do anything radical, turn on the machine, pick it up and twist it, see if it boots then.

Or, just slide a piece of thin cardboard - like used for greeting cards - between the board and the bottom. See what happens.
  Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2008, 03:01 PM   #7
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: usa
Blog Entries: 1
I remember mine didn't work without top case cover touching power supply's top metal screen. If I remember correctly I just bent that screen, so it has better contact with top case cover. it fixed the problem.
  Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2008, 05:13 PM   #8
diyAudio Member
 
MikeHunt79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Bristol, UK
Quote:
Originally posted by zanash
contact tenson on zerogain.com ....he mods these units and must know all the bad things that can happen .....

I've a deq 2496 but have only mildly worked over the units psu and its always worked fine ...
Thanks, I'll get hold of him. Hopefully he will be able to tell me the most common things that stop the DEQ from booting up.
Quote:
Originally posted by kepa1
I know that the connectors from the Input/Output board to the mother board of the DCX2496 have flaws, so it might be the same on the DEQ.
To solve that, you could replace the flat cable or simply bend the male connectors to get a better contact.
I've actually tried it with the IO board disconnected and it still doesn't boot. The cable it self seems ok tho.
Quote:
Originally posted by FrankWW
DEQ 2496 not booting.

You may get lucky - simple fix.

The main circuit board can 'short' against the bottom of the case. I've seen two cases like this.

Before you do anything radical, turn on the machine, pick it up and twist it, see if it boots then.

Or, just slide a piece of thin cardboard - like used for greeting cards - between the board and the bottom. See what happens.
I removed all the PCB's and covered the case in tape, apart from under the SMPS, as you can see here:

Click the image to open in full size.
Quote:
Originally posted by MisterTwister
I remember mine didn't work without top case cover touching power supply's top metal screen. If I remember correctly I just bent that screen, so it has better contact with top case cover. it fixed the problem.
That's weird, because mine has a plastic sheet on the top cover around the PSU area which looks like it's designed to insulate the top cover from the screen. Did you remove this plastic cover or did your not have this cover at all?
  Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2008, 06:30 PM   #9
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: usa
Blog Entries: 1
I don't remember exactly. I need to open my unit.
You may check if it will work by shorting power supply's cage to the case, with screw driver.
  Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2008, 10:41 PM   #10
diyAudio Member
 
MikeHunt79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Bristol, UK
Quote:
Originally posted by MisterTwister
I don't remember exactly. I need to open my unit.
You may check if it will work by shorting power supply's cage to the case, with screw driver.
I tried shorting it with a screwdriver, still no boot.

I think it may possibly be the BIOS chip, 39SF040, I actually have an EEPROM programmer so I'm going to see if I can get a blank 39SF040 chip and flash the firmware to it. The only problem with this is that I'm not sure where I can get a firmware file from, Behringer have the updates for the DCX (as it's updatable with the RS232 cable), but none for the DEQ.

EDIT: Found the files on the Behringer site after all... All I need to do now is get hold of the blank EEPROM.
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
deq2496 with tda1543 ChuckT Digital Line Level 5 5th May 2009 04:53 AM
Has anybody put a SRC in a DEQ2496? jscoe Digital Line Level 5 6th February 2009 02:20 AM
deq2496 vs rme 96/8 pad back Digital Line Level 0 1st September 2008 05:00 PM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 09:29 AM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2