Digital audio for dummies

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A "basic" question here:

Can someone point me to a resource regarding data formats for digital audio?

The nature of the project is like this:
I'm trying to use a TI audio DSP chip for tone control (I haven't picked out which TI chip yet). I don't exactly know what kinds of data conversions I need to make this happen.

The block diagram of such a system might look something like this:

24 bit
19kHz sampling -------------> Digital Filtering ------------> 24 bit ADC 192kHz DAC

TI (and Analog Devices, for that matter) has some great tools for programming their audio DSPs (PurePath Studio for TI, and Visual Audio Designer for Analog Devices, both GDE-type programming). The problem is: If I make a program using their tools for a specific microcontroller, I need to know what other ICs/peripherals I would need to make the whole system "work".

guess that you will get 24/192 sample from cd/dvd spdif out. then you need a digital receiver like cs8416 to convert spdif signal to I2S signal. then you feed I2S signal to your DSP. Feed your DAC with I2S signal out from your DSP.

I reckon you should read the datasheet. :)

Hi!

I would like to use the Texas PCM3168A chip to make an external sound card for my PC.
The main question is: how can i connecnt it to a PC? What data conversions do I need?

It can be controlled with I2C, and i found an USB I2C adapter, but as i know it does not send adio on that.
It supports TDM, DSP, I2S, L, R digital audio interfaces. What chip do i need to convert that to a PC conenctable interface?

rtarbell said:
I don't exactly know what kinds of data conversions I need to make this happen.

lorylaci said:
What chip do i need to convert that to a PC conenctable interface?

Archwn said:
I reckon you should read the datasheet.

I reckon you should read the datasheets too. That's what I'd have to do to answer your questions. You guys are a bit out of your depth and nobody is obliged to throw you a lifeline.

Post your best guess circuit and rationale and somebody will critique it for you.

w

90% or better of questions on here people could answer for themselves if they just did the research.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.