Real or fake PCM63?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Warning!

A'af said:
New Batch Commin, you can look here..

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=112998

all the best,
a'af

What is going on here?

The following pics are what we called once the FAKE PCM63 chips!! http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1366048#post1366048

Also FAKE could be:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1452926#post1452926

The only genuine BB chip could be:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1741164#post1741164

Hard to believe, but the FAKE chips - are back! Who would have think that we will see them here ever again?!

Be carefull! Not all the chips are genuine BB !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BTW, they MIGHT sound: I have one very good pair of them (!), but several other of them which I was trying DID NOT SOUND.

a'af, putting the url of BB might well discredit the rest of your reputation here. :Pinoc:

A warning to all novise here.

No greetings.

tritosine said:
: DDDDDD .... i have nothin to say about the dramma but had a good laugh nevertheless, thanks guys.

Wait, wait! Dramas can start small and become very big sometime later. Or the other way arround...

Be aware that the "Y" chip that a´af is trying to sell this time might well be a genuine BB.

All that one has to do is to forget the past.... However, this is not always easy to do, or recommended.

Greetings,

Y vs KY

Hi Irgendjemand.

I have a ballanced digital section with two PCM63 in each channel, so comparing individual chips would be complicated.

Listening some more to the difference between the Y and the KY, I think I must retract that the Y has more output than the KY.
I would rather put it as: the Y has more energy at the high frequencies.
The KY seems more relaxed or softer but without loosing much if any informations.
I am not shure if the Y can be be said to be more realistic/extended or be acused of distorting more or differently?
In my setup the KY sounds more pleasent but maybe less present?
I dont relly know.
I am happy I have both.
Maybe I will get more insight if I change something else in my setup.

Regards
Erik

Fascinating!

Hi Erik,

Your lovely post strongly coincide with my own discoveries. In a sense I would say that we are listening to music the very same way!

Firstly, I agree that the KY seems more relaxed or softer in relation to the “Y”, somehow without loosing much if any information. It is indeed less present – this is also my main impression.

Can the “Y” be said to be more realistic/extended? What we have in common is that (also in my setting) the KY sounds a bit less present.

This however brings us to a very interesting point: Where is the true?

Similarly to your discoveries, but not changing between Y and KY, I am frequently exchanging my Digital Filter IC, from SM5842APT to DF1704 and back. The differences: The DF1704 is more realistic, while the SM5842APT is more… pleasant but also less present. Sound familier, isn't it ?!.

On this very very high Hi-End level, this become terribly hard to correct, if at all needed. I came to a situation where I can’t give up on the realistic sound of the “Y” – but then, I am TRYING to relax myself a bit by listening to the SM Filter… it does not always help... so personally I am much using the “double” realistic setting: DF1704 + “Y”.

Few days ago I wrote to Herb: “You know what, I was much busy with the DF topic myself: So I am using again the DF1704 in my AVM DAC (instead of the SM5842APT): The sound differences is that with the SM5842 it is indeed beautifully resonating, but - I am afraid it is not realistic ???? , while the DF1704 is far from being beautiful, but is at least closer to the truth”.

Herb answer was remarkable: “Do you have recordings which are 'far from being beautiful'? I cannot understand this. To me: "less beautiful" = "less realistic"........”

Hmmmmm…. Another thing to think about… I wish it would be THE true...

Greetings,

IJ

........almost one year later...same old story, sorry guys..what about these ? thanks a lot

URL]

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.