Real or fake PCM63? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th April 2008, 09:03 PM   #11
poynton is offline poynton  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Location: A life on the ocean waves when I'm not at home in N. Wales (but I'm not Welsh so no sheep jokes!)
Default Re: Monarchy

Quote:
Originally posted by Cobra2
This is a factory (piggy-back) Monarchy Audio Chip, I think they still can supply PCM63 K for reasonable price.

Arne K

Is that a direct piggy-back ? ie 2 in parallel ?

Andy
Old 20th April 2008, 07:12 AM   #12
Cobra2 is offline Cobra2  Norway
DIY !
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Cobra2
Yes/No...most pins are in paralell, but not all. Anyway, it did not sound better than single chip.

Arne K
Old 20th April 2008, 08:25 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Fake or not?

beauty_divine,

Paul has just the same chips as you have, and it seemed to sound really OK for him.

My "Y"s are slightly different, but they also has the same unusual gold-colour markings; I am wondering ?

Now something even more strange: In all the original BB Japan PCM63 Chips (and I visually inspected ALL Japan - P, J, K, K2 and Y, chips), the letters "PCM" are printed exactly under the big “BB” letters. This is so also in your case, however not in mine (!), so if something is faked, my "Y"s have a good chance to be the faked ones...

On the contrary, when I got the Chips, they looked just like I would expect a new-old-stock to be: The legs have been perfectly straight & symmetric. It was quite hard to put them in the sockets, and I had to "form" them correctly (!).

I would have thought that someone indeed re-engraved / refurbished them so that they will look new. However, if the were used, I would have noticed it on the legs, I am pretty sure.

My assumption: The chips are original BB, new-old-stock. However, for some unknown reason, someone have marked them new. It might have some criminal energy behind it or not.
I assume that while marking the Chips, there have been also some selection/identifications mistakes or confusion.

Note that there are also "K" and "K2" Chips on the market (also from A'AF) which are gold coloured; all have new dates (2002, 2003, etc). I can tell you for sure that I compared a gold-coloured "K" with a regular "K" – and there have been no different in sound - both have been a real "K"! My own experience shows that the Type which is written on the Chip is normaly correct. My "Y"s are sounding excellent.

What can you do now? If you bought them from A’AF, just send them back to him and ask for a replacement. Ask him also for the source for the chips. He is known as reliable, and usually he will react fast. Please keep me/us informed.
Old 20th April 2008, 09:28 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

I checked with Monarchy Audio several months ago and they have no (zero) stock of the PCM63 in any flavor. Their website is out of date.

We've seen pics of the stamped K chips and that procedure is well known. I haven't seen any pics of a known good Y grade chip. Why should we assume that the Y's are stamped in the same way? We don't even know what the Y grade was. It's well documented that K's were selected from normal production runs but is there any information to suggest that this was the same for the Y's?

Who is to say they are a "better" chip than the K's when there is no Burr-Brown data available.

Old 20th April 2008, 09:54 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Default well...

look at this...

IY
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pcm63p_______________y.jpg (81.9 KB, 2278 views)
Old 20th April 2008, 10:00 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Default and:

the "Y" IS on the BB Date Sheet, Page 11, "PACKAGE OPTION ADDENDUM". It is listed there. I copy it for you here (the printing format will changed a bit):

Orderable Device Status (1) Package,Type, Package, Drawing, Pins, Package, Qty, Eco Plan (2) Lead/Ball Finish MSL Peak Temp (3)

PCM63P OBSOLETE PDIP NTD 28 TBD Call TI Call TI
PCM63P-1 OBSOLETE PDIP NTD 28 TBD Call TI Call TI
PCM63P-J OBSOLETE PDIP NTD 28 TBD Call TI Call TI
PCM63P-K OBSOLETE PDIP NTD 28 TBD Call TI Call TI
PCM63P-K-2 OBSOLETE PDIP NTD 28 TBD Call TI Call TI
PCM63P-Y OBSOLETE PDIP NTD 28 TBD Call TI Call TI

Regards,
IY
Old 20th April 2008, 10:07 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Default Remark:

The only Chip which is NOT on BB list is this one (KY):
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pcm63p-ky japan.jpg (62.5 KB, 2156 views)
Old 20th April 2008, 10:13 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Default Gold Coloured "K":

This one looks differently then usuall but sounds the same as a normal "K":
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pcm63k_ phl.jpg (8.8 KB, 2085 views)
Old 20th April 2008, 10:18 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

IY,

Like I said there is no information - apart from the fact it was available.

Have you seen specs? There are none in the datasheet and google doesn't reveal anything. At least with the K2 you can find information that indicates that they were used in a high-end pro Sony CD mastering device.

thanks for posting the pics. where have these come from?

cheers
Paul

Note: As far as I'm aware A'af never represented the PCM63K as being a PCM63P-K he only ever claimed that they were a military grade version PCM63. They were priced far lower than the PCM63P-K's he was selling.
Old 20th April 2008, 10:32 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Default Pcm63p-y???

Well, I do remember me starting once this "Y" topic with the following question (on the "Pcm63p-y???" thread):

"Has anybody ever HEARD the sound of the Burr Brown PCM63P-Y in real life? According to the mythology, this "Y" selection grade should have been the absolute-best of all PCM63’s; however, there is Zero information about this particular PCM63P in the "Y" Version on the Internet."

No any specifications came until now either… At least it SOUNDS.

IY

Hide this!Advertise here!