Real or fake PCM63? - Page 11 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th April 2008, 12:12 AM   #101
diyAudio Member

-40 is garbage TDA 1540, TDA1543
-45 is very bad
-50 is bad
-55 is mediocre TDA1541
-60 is good
-65 is very good
-67 is absolute maximum I found among PCM56

all relative to input signal

So K/Y ranges from bad to near very good,
and if more chips are beeing tested even more diverse results are found.
Old 30th April 2008, 04:49 AM   #102
diyAudio Member

Well, my email to Juang aka A'af requesting that he send some extra chips for me to select some decent ones was met with a demand that I apologise on the forums for suggesting his products were FAKE. Given the body of evidence that these products are FAKE I feel that A'af is suggesting I make posts against what is clearly the actual situation so he can continue to profit from the diy community.
Old 30th April 2008, 05:32 AM   #103
diyAudio Member

A'af has agreed to take the chips back and refund purchase price.

Looks like I'm back to running the PCM63K's for the moment...
Old 30th April 2008, 07:30 AM   #104
diyAudio Member

I once read that the kind of marking used on those Ys was introduced by BB to make it harder to re-mark expensive chips by amateur criminals.

IMHO it can't be proved wether the Ys are fakes or not.

In any case stamps are not worth the high prices paid for.

Better select chips and put on them your own stamp.
Old 30th April 2008, 08:48 AM   #105
diyAudio Member

Default Ongoing

Quote:
Originally posted by spzzzzkt
A'af has agreed to take the chips back and refund purchase price.

Looks like I'm back to running the PCM63K's for the moment...

Are you sending all "Y"s back or only exchanging / selecting some of them?

I remember you saying that if there have not been the all the discussion here about fake or not fake PCM63ís, you would have enjoyed the D1V3 + "Y" with no hesitations.
Old 30th April 2008, 08:55 AM   #106
diyAudio Member

If it is a good sounding & measuring fake -

- why not listen to a fake ?
Old 30th April 2008, 09:04 AM   #107
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bernhard
IMHO it can't be proved wether the Ys are fakes or not.
and it might not be a fake after all...

Old 30th April 2008, 10:44 AM   #108
diyAudio Member

A'af took offense to my comments earlier in the thread that you could not positively confirm his chips as genuine on the basis of the contents of this thread. Pretty reasonable but contrary to his assertion that this thread was proof his chips were genuine:

Quote:
The first thing solved to this thread and according to "my" interest are... this PCM63P-Y are not FAKE
Quote:
I know you have an interest in selling these chips, but I think you are overstating the case to say that this thread has solved anything regarding authenticity. All that has been determined is that there is documentation that BB produced chips with Y, KY and K2 marking, and TI has indicated that chip forgery is a substantial problem. Your chips may well be authentic but I don't think this thread can be used to make any decision on that.
I would have preferred to exchange the not up to scratch chips and retain the good ones. However A'af stated I must publicly apologize for the above comments before he would even discuss this possibility. I'm not sure I would know what to apologize for? scaring off customers?

I proposed that he send me a 4 or 8 chips which I would test, pick two that matched the best two I have and return the rest with test results which he could use as he liked.. His response: "I owe you nothing." I guess I might of got further if I didn't hint at taking some kind of action if he didn't respond after he hadn't bothered to reply to my first email proposing a similar arrangement to replace the two chips that measure quite badly.

I definitely would not have bothered shelling out $250US plus shipping plus paypal fees if I'd know that these chips were only marginally better than the $25 a piece pcm63k which I bought initially knowing they were most likely of questionable origin.
Old 30th April 2008, 11:03 AM   #109
diyAudio Member

and yes I'm not sure if I will send them back - i'll see how I feel about it tomorrow. It just hurts having effectively paid $250 for two good chips. Genuine or not that is just stupid money for a pair of DAC chips.

as bernhard says it doesn't really matter if they are fakes or not. if they sound good they are good. What I see as the main issue with A'afs chips is that he's charging a premium price on the basis they are a high performance chip - but what you get is a "lucky dip". People _are_ getting bad sounding chips, b_d's experience shows and the tests I've done bear out there is bad and good. If you pay for a BMW you expect all BMW not half BMW with the rest Trabant.

cheers
Paul
Old 30th April 2008, 11:47 AM   #110
diyAudio Member

My two cents:

Buy defective or working CD Player that contain PCM63, Pioneer PD8500 has them, take out the chips and the laser and a few nice caps maybe, throw away the rest.
You will have the same chance for good chips "lucky dip" plus genuine garantie plus burn-in already done by the previous owner(s).

That's how I do it.

I found one PCM63-K in my boxes, one leg has been repaired, should be used in a socket, date code 9227, fully working, measurement result unknown, I have no player for it to test at the moment. 10 EUR plus shipping.

Hide this!Advertise here!