Old Philips DAC module - info. required. - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th April 2008, 11:33 PM   #21
ramchip is offline ramchip  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Old Philips DAC module - info. required.

Carawu, what's this about "old PC-programs for controlling cdmpro/cdm12 via i2s...."?
I don't know of them and they might lead to another avenue which could bring new ideas.

Guido, if you have a Linux kernel version 2.4 then I could send you a program to monitor the I2C bus. It uses two pins on the printer port to listen to bus activity.
The problem is the hardware to connect to the bus. The device used is a triple-channel digital isolator called an ADuM1300 manufactured by Analog Devices.
As far as I know it's an SMD only device so that's another headache, depending on your resources.
I used this "galvanic isolation" technique before turning to bit-bashing the PIC.
Why did I gave up with the Linux program? Because I was getting inconsistent results, possibly because of the coding of the controller, or more likely, because the program couldn't cope with the message format used in the application under investigation.
It would be good to see what that program makes of a "pure player", e.g. CD160/640/660.
I guess the easiest thing would be for me to invest in a cheap ebay machine and take a look myself. That would save you a lot of bother!
Anyway, I'm really pleased that my PCB has been identified in several CD players.

Regards,
ramchip
Old 18th April 2008, 02:27 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

Try this:
http://www.daisy-laser.com/technolog...sa/techdsa.htm

PC software:
http://www.daisy-laser.com/technolog...dsaprogram.zip
Old 18th April 2008, 08:36 PM   #23
guido is offline guido  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Old Philips DAC module - info. required.

Quote:
Originally posted by ramchip
Guido, if you have a Linux kernel version 2.4 then I could send you a program to monitor the I2C bus. It uses two pins on the printer port to listen to bus activity.
The problem is the hardware to connect to the bus. The device used is a triple-channel digital isolator called an ADuM1300 manufactured by Analog Devices.
As far as I know it's an SMD only device so that's another headache, depending on your resources.
I used this "galvanic isolation" technique before turning to bit-bashing the PIC.
Regards,
ramchip
I don't have linux, but i do know how to use a PIC. But i'm only using the 16f84
Old 23rd April 2008, 11:25 AM   #24
diyAudio Member

Thanks Carawu. I'll take a closer look at cdmpro when I get a chance.

Guido, it's good to know you are into PICs, I started with the 16F84 last year. Now I'm using the 16F74, a 40-pin beast! The coding is going well.
I talked myself into buying a cheap CD player on eBay. It arrived this morning. Unfortunately, it doesn't have the golden PCB that I wanted. It has one marked
CMKS-P3X. The player is a Philips, model number CD 163.
If you know where I can find a service manual, preferably a free online one, please let me know!

Regards,
ramchip
Old 23rd April 2008, 12:58 PM   #25
poynton is offline poynton  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Location: A life on the ocean waves when I'm not at home in N. Wales (but I'm not Welsh so no sheep jokes!)

Quote:
............. Unfortunately, it doesn't have the golden PCB that I wanted. .........

What cd board were you wanting ?

I have several of the CD160 type.

Andy
Old 23rd April 2008, 04:57 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

The CMKS-81X circuit board as shown in post #14 of this thread. I was after a machine with it in so I could experiment with the I2C bus. The message structure is not the same as the current standard so looking at a pure player might help.

Regards,
ramchip
Old 23rd April 2008, 04:58 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

The CMKS-81X circuit board as shown in post #14 of this thread. I was after a machine with it in so I could experiment with the I2C bus. The message structure is not the same as the current standard so looking at a pure player might help.

Regards,
ramchip
Old 23rd April 2008, 05:09 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Thanks Carawu. I'll take a closer look at cdmpro when I get a chance.

Guido, it's good to know you are into PICs, I started with the 16F84 last year. Now I'm using the 16F74, a 40-pin beast! The coding is going well.
I talked myself into buying a cheap CD player on eBay. It arrived this morning. Unfortunately, it doesn't have the golden PCB that I wanted. It has one marked
CMKS-P3X. The player is a Philips, model number CD 163.
If you know where I can find a service manual, preferably a free online one, please let me know!

Regards,
ramchip
I'm using one in a preamp with support for i2c, rc5, kenwood xs, samsung vfd etc. rather use a small pic with i2c i/o exdenders than a beast

as for the player, seems to be a 1545 machine. inside:

cdm12.1 with
SAA7345GP-M5 decoder
TMP47C421AF display controller
MC68HC11ER20 controller
TDA1301TN1 servo
TDA1545 SMD dac

So here the 6811 talks to the tmp47.. for keyboard input and display time/track. I'm afraid that this is too new technology to be usefull with the other pcb. But what would you like to achieve with this player anyway, there are no keys to select a specific track (number)?
Old 23rd April 2008, 05:29 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

All new kit guido, very good!
What would be really useful for my purposes is a CMKS-81X circuit board (as shown in post #14 of this thread)
in a machine which has a track number selection feature. I wonder how many candidate machines fit the bill. The one that arrived today was advertised as a CD 162, but when it arrived it's clearly a CD 163.
It works well but it's not exactly what I need. Maybe I should try for one of these: Philips CD304MK2, Philips CD160, CD630, CD640 or CD660. Grundig 8100, Marantz CD273. Not sure which of these has track selection though!

Regards,
ramchip
Old 23rd April 2008, 08:51 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

CD650

Think non of the philips players you mention above. Hang on, i'll have a look in mine...

Hide this!Advertise here!