Ultra High-End DAC designs for DIY? - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th February 2008, 09:49 AM   #21
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

Default Re: @tinitus

Quote:
Originally posted by gentlevoice
Have you heard the new SACD sampler recorded with DXD from DPAMicrophones?....
Regards,

Jesper

Thanks, most of my jazz CDs are OK recordings
Old 29th February 2008, 11:01 AM   #22
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Cauhtemoc

What they have to offer is far from ultra high-end.

In what way is the TP DAC deficient?
Old 29th February 2008, 11:41 AM   #23
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

Power supply ?

Analoge output buffer ?
Old 29th February 2008, 01:54 PM   #24
gugi100 is offline gugi100  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

The powersupply of the opus dac is actualy reasonable wel, vldo regulatos with good decoupling.
No outputbuffer, the opus is voltage out there is no big need for an output buffer. But if you need it, you can put whatever buffer you like after the Opus dac.

It is a simple dac and I agree no Ultra High End (whatever that may be).
But to my ears it does the job.

Gr Gert-Jan
Old 29th February 2008, 02:35 PM   #25
4real is offline 4real  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

I see some folks throwing in some tube output stage DAC's... Ik don't think anyone having an ExtremeA amplifier would want something like that. If I had to guess, steaxauce is probably looking with the best specs to be found, so the best THD+N, great ripple and stopband, and great noise figures... At least, I would look for that if I had one of those amps..

Quote:
Originally posted by analog_sa
[B]
My personal feeling is that "Ultra High-end" dac is significantly outside the abilities of most diyers. No project based on ready made commercial solutions and app notes really stands a chance.
Why would that be?

You mentioned Wadia? What do they offer that DIY could not do? So what if they have some crazy upsampling ******** in their stuff. Since any commercially available upsampler will have better specs than any DAC out there (even those Wadia uses), so it really doesn't matter... And obviously there is loads of more marketing stuff out there for very simple principles that DIY'ers have done already in some way. Give it a fancy name and make sure no-one opens the box to look at it -> great concept

So i guess, with the stuff available to all DIY'ers, you can make a very good DAC, that will actually rival anything commercially available, specially for the price you pay for it.
Old 29th February 2008, 04:29 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 4real
So i guess, with the stuff available to all DIY'ers, you can make a very good DAC, that will actually rival anything commercially available, specially for the price you pay for it.
I agree for the most part. There are some notable exceptions that unless you have extremely "deep pockets" to buy the design and test equipment you could not rival. I do not think anybody will be programming Xilinx FPGA chips at home to make a custom DAC that works similar to, and rivals, the Chord DAC64 or something from EMM Labs or DCS.

However, if you are looking at something like Musical Fidelity's KW DM25 DAC - then that is something you can do on a DIY basis without shelling out retail $$$. Of course, as mentioned earlier, the new DAC by ESS called the Sabre Reference Audio DAC (chip ES9008) is the cutting edge, and putting a good circuit around that will probably surpass nearly everything esoteric on the market.
Old 29th February 2008, 06:09 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by InfiniteGain

However, if you are looking at something like Musical Fidelity's KW DM25 DAC - then that is something you can do on a DIY basis without shelling out retail $$$. Of course, as mentioned earlier, the new DAC by ESS called the Sabre Reference Audio DAC (chip ES9008) is the cutting edge, and putting a good circuit around that will probably surpass nearly everything esoteric on the market.

The press release for the Sabre DAC said it is $29 in lots of 1000. Can you imagine how expensive it would be in single/small quantities? And to achieve the 134 dB spec (which is for mono), you would need two chips. Otherwise the DNR goes down to 128 dB. Not only that but it's 64LQFP. Most people shy away from SSOP. Even if the Sabre DAC isn't vaporware, I don't see it having any impact on the DIY market.
Old 29th February 2008, 07:44 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ezkcdude

And to achieve the 134 dB spec (which is for mono), you would need two chips. Otherwise the DNR goes down to 128 dB. Not only that but it's 64LQFP. Most people shy away from SSOP. Even if the Sabre DAC isn't vaporware, I don't see it having any impact on the DIY market.

You only gain 3dB when you parallel DACs, plus several people are looking at putting PCBs together. The ESS part will be a contender.
Old 29th February 2008, 08:03 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Spartacus

You only gain 3dB when you parallel DACs, plus several people are looking at putting PCBs together. The ESS part will be a contender.
I saw in the other thread that Russ is putting together a board. I hope he can get the chip in good quantitites. I don't think many people will want to solder that chip on their own.
Old 29th February 2008, 08:12 PM   #30
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

I'm going to try the Twisted Pear modules with the cods initially and if they ever offer the ESS part will try one of those at some point. It certainly looks very promising.

Hide this!Advertise here!