Ultra High-End DAC designs for DIY? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th February 2008, 01:48 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PigletsDad
Look at the twisted pear site; they have some kits.
What they have to offer is far from ultra high-end.
Old 28th February 2008, 04:07 PM   #12
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Cauhtemoc

What they have to offer is far from ultra high-end.
True enough, but as analog_sa said there aren't really any diy options that would fall into that category. I followed Russ White's Opus thread and the products do seem solidly engineered, the WM8804 apparently outperforms the CS8416 in some key respects, and they offer a current output dac module in addition to the Opus module - it seems altogether a significant step up from the Zhaolu I am currently using which many rave about (and I no longer do - see that thread.)

I think the advice to buy a used Wadia is a good tip, but I will say that my mid/late '90's PS Audio Ultralink II HDCD decoder was thoroughly outclassed by my now less than impressive Zhaolu (and on several sources) so be aware that there have been real improvements over the last 10 yrs or so and be very careful to get something that has stood the test of time or that you can try before you buy. I wouldn't recommend that Ultralink II to anyone today.
Old 28th February 2008, 04:33 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

How about the ESS Technology Sabre Reference DAC if you can get hold of the DAC chip in low volume. Dustin Forman, the designer of it, is a member here. This DAC is a commercial chip offering, so you would need to incorporate your own choice of digital receiver, (A)SRC, and I/V filter if you are looking for a complete DIY solution.

Either way, the specs on the DAC chip surpass everything else on the market by a very big margin, so if you can come up with a suitable design to incorporate it, then you are at the cutting edge sonically.

Alternatively, maybe you can ask Dustin Forman for an evaluation board. The thread has the info to link to the ESS Tech web pages with an abundance of technical information, as well as Dustin's own assistance in the thread with some people's questions.

See the thread: here
Old 28th February 2008, 04:45 PM   #14
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

Wonder what this is worth

http://www.audiokit.ro/products.html

http://www.mother-of-tone.com/attraction.htm
Old 28th February 2008, 08:40 PM   #15
Telstar is offline Telstar  Italy
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Ultra High-End DAC designs for DIY?

Quote:
Originally posted by steaxauce
With this in mind, the DAC needs to do a good job of rejecting jitter, and it would be best if it could accept input via USB, Firewire, Ethernet or some other protocol, but this is not a necessity: If necessary, I can purchase or build an s/pdif or even I2S interface for my computer.
I would like to know more about building a 12s interface for the computer, i mean to extract digital audio directly in this format, not through usb conversion.
Old 28th February 2008, 09:17 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: Ultra High-End DAC designs for DIY?

Quote:
Originally posted by Telstar

I would like to know more about building a 12s interface for the computer, i mean to extract digital audio directly in this format, not through usb conversion.

There have been some discussions about getting I2S off soundcards. It probably doesn't get any more direct than this. Or any simpler. Short cables though.
Old 29th February 2008, 12:32 AM   #17
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

Fore my television I have a rather cheap terestial digital receiver with a harddisk
The harddisk I use solely fore recording taped live jazz concerts, transmitted from 3sat in Schwitzerland, well I have some very rare rock recordings too
Quality is quite good to outstanding, music is superb...schwiss people seem to have very good taste

This makes me wonder where the weak link is in a digital audio chain
I suspect the major problem is still the studio recordings, the recording gear and the producer, as it has always been...the secret of the quality of my harddisk recordings can only be explained with "good sound live recordings"

Most modern music sound awfully supressed/compressed, no matter what you do
Old 29th February 2008, 12:52 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

To the OP, I'm definitely not putting my DAC (ezDAC) in the "ultra-high end category" (not even close), but I do put up all the schematics and board designs online for anyone to look at. I dare say - judging from the amount of e-mail I've received over the last year or so - quite a few folks have done that and learned something. (I was just as clueless as yourself before I took up the project.)
Old 29th February 2008, 06:08 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Default @tinitus

Have you heard the new SACD sampler recorded with DXD from DPAMicrophones? I'm not saying I personally like the balance of the recording but it's done without compression or the like. Can be ordered free from www.dpamicrophones.com (miking a Grand Piano).

Regards,

Jesper
Old 29th February 2008, 08:14 AM   #20
Pulse-R is offline Pulse-R  Australia
diyAudio Member

I saw somwhere an I2S mod for Audigy sound card, which could be coupled inside the PC to a Twisted Pear board for fully balanced output - nice!

don't know if you need the ASRC, but it wouldn't hurt for sure.

Hide this!Advertise here!