ESS Sabre DAC -- Give me your Feedback - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2008, 10:54 PM   #11
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
BTW, how do you like your Wolfson DAC? Do you have a schematic for the ouput stage?
  Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2008, 03:55 PM   #12
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
finneybear, may I ask your background?
  Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2008, 08:02 PM   #13
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Quote:
Originally posted by ESS_Blammo
BTW, how do you like your Wolfson DAC? Do you have a schematic for the ouput stage?
I have this EV board
http://www.wolfsonmicro.com/uploads/...WM8740EV1M.pdf
I like it better than CS4398
http://www.cirrus.com/en/products/pro/detail/P1023.html
  Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2008, 09:43 PM   #14
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Deep inside the Silicon Furnace
Quote:
Originally posted by ESS_Blammo
finneybear, may I ask your background?

Let's see... I do not work for TI, nor ADI, nor Crystal, nor Wolfson, nor AKM, but I do know quite a few guys from TI, ADI, Crystal, Wolfson, and ESS Tech (Fremont)
  Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2008, 09:48 PM   #15
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Deep inside the Silicon Furnace
Quote:
Originally posted by thomaseliot


I have this EV board
http://www.wolfsonmicro.com/uploads/...WM8740EV1M.pdf
I like it better than CS4398
http://www.cirrus.com/en/products/pro/detail/P1023.html
IMHO, CS43122 is the one to beat, not CS4398. One Wolfson engineer last week told me that WM8741 is their top dog now yet we have found out WM8740 sounds better than WM8741. In the end, it all depends on the implementation. EV boards are just EV boards. They do not tell you the whole story.
  Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2008, 05:14 PM   #16
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: whereisit
Quote:
Originally posted by finneybear


IMHO, CS43122 is the one to beat, not CS4398. One Wolfson engineer last week told me that WM8741 is their top dog now yet we have found out WM8740 sounds better than WM8741. In the end, it all depends on the implementation. EV boards are just EV boards. They do not tell you the whole story.
Enough with these switched capacitor outputs already.
I have a CS43122 in my old DAC after an ASRC and it's fine but nothing special.
  Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2008, 01:10 AM   #17
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Deep inside the Silicon Furnace
Quote:
Originally posted by abzug

Enough with these switched capacitor outputs already.
I have a CS43122 in my old DAC after an ASRC and it's fine but nothing special.
This ESS chip uses capacitors as well.

It's vary hard to do CS43122 right, BTW.
  Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2008, 01:12 AM   #18
agent.5 is offline agent.5  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: San Francisco, CA
Maybe you guys need to compare the new DAC with a great TDA1541 implementation?
  Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2008, 06:28 AM   #19
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: whereisit
Quote:
Originally posted by finneybear
This ESS chip uses capacitors as well.
Better turn that smile upside down, because I've confirmed with Dustin that it does NOT.

I'm guessing your comment about the CS43122 has a similar relation with the truth as the one before it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2008, 06:32 AM   #20
Account Disabled
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: whereisit
Quote:
Originally posted by agent.5
Maybe you guys need to compare the new DAC with a great TDA1541 implementation?

Maybe we also need to compare a Ferrari F2008 with a Ford Sunliner
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ESS Sabre DAC wanted spurzheim Swap Meet 1 9th March 2009 12:24 AM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 12:25 AM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2