ESS Sabre Reference DAC (8-channel) - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th February 2008, 12:48 AM   #1
Account Disabled

Default New DAC chip

http://blog.stereophile.com/ces2008/011008ess/
134 dB SNR and -118 dB THD are impressive, but I find some other things in the white paper more interesting, such as the discussion of dynamic element state space modulation by transients:
http://www.esstech.com/techsupp/sabrewp.pdf
The time domain interpolation for SRC is reminiscent of what Anagram does in their DSP-based solution.
Too bad no mention at all of how they achieve their supposed 100% jitter rejection.
Looks like it should be easy to DIY with because it takes S/PDIF input and doesn't need that much around it on the digital side, and can be used as either voltage or current output due to the medium output impedance.
Old 8th February 2008, 03:19 AM   #2
Account Disabled

Waaait a minute! dusfor99 weren't you at ESS? I see a Dustin Foreman nametag in that Stereophile photo! LOL!
Old 11th February 2008, 12:02 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Exclamation ESS Sabre Reference DAC (8-channel)

Hi,

Does anybody know where to get hold of a unit or two of the ESS Sabre Reference DAC? The minimum dynamic range is 128dB!! THD better than -112dB any frequency.
http://www.esstech.com/products/digi...italaudio.shtm

Its the worlds best measuring DAC and supposedly the best sounding. The thing is, the DAC handles PCM, DVD Audio, SACD etc with unheard of quality and almost total lack of jitter. I was wondering if anybody may know how we can get our hands on them?

Thanks,
InfiniteGain
Old 11th February 2008, 08:31 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

I was interested in this DAC too, so I hope someone has a resource of where to obtain them. It looks like they will be $29 each (@1000 units) according to a few articles online. Thats pretty pricey for a DAC, but being 100% jitter free (according to them) and some of its other properties make it look worth the money. I think I remember reading something about a voltage out also....
Old 11th February 2008, 09:07 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Hmm....

Looked it up and ESStech lists their American "Authorized Distributor" as Shaw Electronics (http://www.shawelectronics.com). However, their "request quote" page doesn't have a submit button. The submit button on their "request info" page produces an access denied error. And, when you email the address listed under the "contact us" page, the email gets returned. Also, trying to contact sales at ESStech directly via phone results in no answer and a full message box....

So, I have no idea how to figure out how to get some of these since I can't contact them or their distributor.
Old 12th February 2008, 06:48 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Hi Abzug,

Yes that is me. hmm, never thought my picture would be linked on this site. I have really not been following the DIY site closly for a long time since ive just been so busy doing derivative parts of the DAC. I will try to keep up with it more often now that people seem to have some interest in the part.

CLD
Old 12th February 2008, 08:52 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

The initial article I saw said they were only distributing in batches of 1000 at $29 each! I was hoping somebody re-distributes in smaller quantities. Even if I have to buy 5, it works out quite favourable for me in the UK with the current exchange rate.
Old 12th February 2008, 12:59 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Yeah, I already have noticed. But in answer to your question, his account doesn't accept PMs or email through the website - so unless Dustin chooses to read this thread or the one you started and provide an answer, we cannot ask!
Old 12th February 2008, 02:09 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Hi Dustin,

I tried contacting you through your tech support but I guess you didn't get the message. Would you please contact me?

Thanks
Dave Davenport
Old 12th February 2008, 07:32 PM   #10
Account Disabled

OK I emailed him about it.

Hide this!Advertise here!