ESS Sabre Reference DAC (8-channel)

I'd like to show my own understanding here.

ES9018 incorporates a multi-level (65 levels) delta-sigma(sigma-delta) modulator.
In "White Paper" published by ESS, they use the term "six bit". However, I think it should not be interpreted as "PCM" because "PCM" does not refer delta-sigma modulated data and refers a binary format of 2's compliment in general. A DA module in ES9018 processes 65 level delta-sigma modulated data coded in "Unary" or "Thermometer" coded and DEMed.

In the case of PCM input, a usual PCM data is converted into 65 level delta-sigma modulated data.
In the case of DSD input, I imagine the original DSD data is also converted first into a certain form of internal multi-level representation and then the data is delta-sigma modulated into 65 levels as PCM is processed.

Last edited:
Pls tell me about 2 register setting for stereo mode for SPDIF/SERIAL/DSD input.

To make to get stereo mode for SPDIF/SERIAL/DSD input, which 2 registers do I set. I guess 1 register is #14. If it is right, another?

Russ,

I will put together a sorta mini app note on how to wire the chip up such that you only need 3 pins connect and you can get all channel to parallel together in all 3 modes. I know I should have just made it easy programming but that would be no fun right? No just kidding, I really overlooked that and its my mistake. But for now, you can short

DSD5 to DSD1
DSD6 to DSD4 to DSD2.

With these pins connected like so, there is 2 register setting you can make to get stereo mode for SPDIF/SERIAL/DSD input.

Also, pin25 on your schematic should be connected to 3.3V

I will get you the register settings soon.

Thanks

Dustin

Analog output without AVCC power

I'm recently trying a various AVCC power supply systems for ES9018 of mono configuration.
In the process, I happened to forget to connect an AVCC power and turned digital 3.3V and 1.2V on! Alas, how so? A small sound came from my amplifier though the level is low. What internal mechanisms may make such phenomena?

In my configuration, 8 channel analog signal pins are tied and connected to a primary of line transformer. No voltage is given to those analog out pins at all.

Hi, qusp!

Thank you very much for your post. I'm sorry that I could not catch on your explanation as I can imagine no circuit diagram along with your explanation because of my limited knowledge.
You told a possible "N-channel (MOS) arrangement" in the analog output stage of the DAC. Does your guess of this time match well your previous speculation?

Bunpei

i'm just guessing, but then thats all we can do yes?

what I mean is, depending on the exact format or type of the fets (unknown), perhaps the missing analogue reference supply can be replaced by signal, so the swing of the signal itself (generated previous to the output stage) is enough to get something through, by turning the fets on with whatever signal voltage is over the gate threshold voltage and RDSon, but not with enough drive/bias to get full output. without AVCC the return will be compromised too, which would also contribute to the lack of output strength, but I can see how there could be something.

again i'm just guessing here but that is a mechanism that would allow it. distortion will be significantly higher and the waveforms incomplete, but it would be recognisable as music.

Last edited:
DPLL is not likely to be disabled on ES9018-2M

When I read a press release of new ES9018-2M, I got such an impression that we could disable DPLL functionality on the chip by setting a new register appropriately.

Today, after I browsed its datasheet for the first time, I thought it would be impossible.
Does anyone interpret the datasheet descriptions in different manners?

High pitch whining sound from ESS9018/TPAIII

Hi All,

I encounter some issues with the following setup:

MiniDSP Mini-Sharc with the digital input module (MiniDIGI) ->

TPA Buffalo III in voltage out mode (loaded with a 1K resistor and a 3300pF Low-pass filter)

I get a high pitching noise on the oputput of the DAC, that is with or without the I2S lines from the Mini-Sharc connected or not With the I2S lines connected the noise is changing slightly and less stable though.

All DIP-switches are OFF (apparently new firmware) as per the datasheet recommandation, only the SP/DIF input is ON (i.e. set to bypass).

I have tried different supplies for the DAC board (simple 7508 regulator, LT1963 regulator) nothing wont change.

I'd nned some help troubleshooting the thing, I am slowly getting crazy...

Hi All,

I encounter some issues with the following setup:

MiniDSP Mini-Sharc with the digital input module (MiniDIGI) ->

TPA Buffalo III in voltage out mode (loaded with a 1K resistor and a 3300pF Low-pass filter)

I get a high pitching noise on the oputput of the DAC, that is with or without the I2S lines from the Mini-Sharc connected or not With the I2S lines connected the noise is changing slightly and less stable though.

All DIP-switches are OFF (apparently new firmware) as per the datasheet recommandation, only the SP/DIF input is ON (i.e. set to bypass).

I have tried different supplies for the DAC board (simple 7508 regulator, LT1963 regulator) nothing wont change.

I'd nned some help troubleshooting the thing, I am slowly getting crazy...

Problem solved!

Actually nothing wrong with our implementation, just ripple on the AVCC as described by many users (including the solution) here:

Sawtooth-ripple-on-AVCC-module

We have done a quick and dirty job with short trimmed through hole ceramics (100pF) on top of the PCB - result: working like a charm and dead silent!

OPA 2209 and OPA2211 are on their way and will probably replace the LMP next week!

Big thanks to DIYAudio-member Zaireeka for pointing us straight to the solution!