ESS Sabre Reference DAC (8-channel)

Hi Tripathdude,

if I may .... you won't want any DC across the transformers, but I'm guessing there will be a DC blocking cap in the Promitheus buffer, in which case you could hook it straight up to the output of the Sabre DAC. I'd suggest getting in touch with Promitheus to check.

The Promitheus is a voltage buffer, so needs a voltage input. The Sabre chip can work as voltage or current out, but gives better performance with current output, technically at least.

Dan

chalkandtalk said:
Russ: I note that Twisted Pear no longer has any Joshua Trees. I will be ordering a Bufalo DAC as soon as I can but need a vol control.

Will you be offering a way to control the volume digitally soon?

cheers

Aidan

JTs will be available soon, as well as a way to control the Buffalo volume. So you could go either way.

Cheers!
Russ

Power up and down timing sequence

This may be a(n) R T F M question, but I don't have the full datasheet on hand.

Question for Dustin:

Could a slower startup of the analog supplies cause any harm to the chip? And conversely, would power remaining on to the analog section after digital powerdown, for instance from residual charge in bypassing, cause any harm to the chip?

I'm looking into a separate 3.3V supply for the analog section, not derived from the digital 3.3V supply, or a much lower time constant filter from the digital supply to the analog supply buffers.

Early futzing and listening shows considerable promise. Excellent phrasing and timing, PRAT on the UK/Euro side of the puddle. Tight, deep, articulate low end. Pinpoint L/R imaging. Piano is sounding really good. Working on liquid textures and front to back dimensionality to match.

Thanks,

WMS

Got my package today, you have one very very happy man here :)
The boards are simply amazing, I have friends working in the industry and they are very happy with the quality too, delivery to this end of the world was simply lightning fast and yes, it is spam but please let me thank Brian and Russ for making me truly happy. Thanks again guys, I will post on the results very soon, please be patient as I am not at your level of expertise.

Russ or Brian,

Any news on when the next modules will be available and how to get on the list? I will be off globe trotting in a month or two and won't be able to build for at least a year. I need a Buffalo kit including trans and IVY.

In regards to the Denon DVD-1920, will the 1930 and 1940 be the same player with a few changes, or is the 1920 diferent inside? I know that with the 3910, 3920, 3930, and so on that there were very little changes with the hardware. Most of the evolution onthese units is software based.

khundude said:
Russ or Brian,

Any news on when the next modules will be available and how to get on the list? I will be off globe trotting in a month or two and won't be able to build for at least a year. I need a Buffalo kit including trans and IVY.

In regards to the Denon DVD-1920, will the 1930 and 1940 be the same player with a few changes, or is the 1920 diferent inside? I know that with the 3910, 3920, 3930, and so on that there were very little changes with the hardware. Most of the evolution onthese units is software based.

No news yet. Brian and and I are working hard to work in some design tweaks based on test data we are receiving. Stay tuned.

I don't have any other Denons to look at right other than a DVD-2910 and a DVD-1920. So I can't really answer that question.

Between the two players the DVD-1920 looks much easier to mod.

Cheers!
Russ

Does anyone know what difference is with the Denon DVD-1920, 1930, and 1940 are and if the boards are different? The 19XX designates the model line and the 20, 30, 40, identify the generation so they should be very similar, if not identical. Most of the time the difference is software or addition of HDMI, 480p to 720p to 1080p, and so on, but if anyone knows there are differences in the boards, please chime in.

Russ, any approximation of when the next batch of Buffalo DACs will be ready? How do I get on the preorder? Pay now or just get on a list? Thanks again for you time.

The Dude

Joined 2007
Paid Member
I found a dvd-1930CI for a 'can't pass' price and took a chance (very small, IMO). When it arrives I'll verify for you that the boards match the photos Russ posted. My interest in the Denon line was piqued by the functionality of the firmware for DVD-A playback: a) Each channel has delay and level controls (0 to -12 dB) and b) 'bass management' may be good enough to compliment my analog setup w/o needing additional XOs (a PC is doing that job now). For SACD playback, though, I have NO idea what will happen! :clown:

Assuming the board is identical, I won't modify the transport immediately because for useful integration of Buffalo DACs into my system much depends on how the 'Uber' turns out. I certainly have full confidence that it will be up to the task.

Best regards,
Frank in Mpls.

Hi guys,

I went all the way to the first post but may be missed it - what values do I need to use if I try to run the Buffalo with resistors instead of the IVY, I am really anxious to try and make it work asap.
I am also expecting delivery of a Denon 1920, will sure post what happens.

Nikola Krivorov said:
Hi guys,

I went all the way to the first post but may be missed it - what values do I need to use if I try to run the Buffalo with resistors instead of the IVY, I am really anxious to try and make it work asap.
I am also expecting delivery of a Denon 1920, will sure post what happens.

You don't need any resistors. You can use it voltage output.

Look back a few posts for an indication of output swing, impedance, and bias.

Cheers!
Russ

Freak,

I am building the exact same set-up as soon as boards become available. I hope the guys at Twisted give us a heads up so I can get my hands on one this round. Not to thread jack, but I love the look of your Aikido Fierce! I would love it if you could get me a list of the parts and the supplier so I can start to pick bits up before I get the board. I know that the colour will not change the sound, and I trust your judgment in selection so why not make it look good too? I had been under the belief that only Amperex made the 6GM8 until I won an auction on ebay for a quad of Telefunken ECC86's, three still sealed. I thought they would be Amperex rembranded but it seems they have the diamonds on the bottom so I will have to wait and see.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=260240391743

Back to the Buffalo... Freak, are you going to be using it with the IVY as well? Russ, if you are not too busy making Buffalo DACs to respond, when would you estimate they will be ready? Can I prepay or get on a list? I am going to be moving around and now is my only window if I want to take it with me, and I do! I am so freakin' excited and dying from the wait for the DAC and the Aikido!