ESS Sabre Reference DAC (8-channel)

steenoe said:
The Sabre chip sounds to be all good! What are the main advantages of this chip? Just short and plain, is perfectly ok!!
I gave up on page 13..... or something...

:)

Hi Steen!

The chip virtually eliminates jitter.

It sounds incredible.

For the rest of you,

My I/V solution is not omitted, it is optimized. :) I carefully designed the I/V stage and all GND return paths to be optimal. This has paid off really well.

And the I/V stage can take more than one form! :D

I am testing my IVY module which has been stunning for both Buffalo and COD. I also have a discrete SuSy I/V stage which has been shown on the Pass forum.

One other note. I have two optional pads for external clock input, and the traces are short and direct. So if you want to you can use whatever exotic clock your heart desires with the Buffalo. You are not limited to the on-board XO, and you can actually disable it without removing it.

If you want simply the best 8 channel output possible, you could use 4 Buffalo! Or even 8 if you care to write a little code... ;)

Cheers!
Russ

RayCtech said:
Hi Dustin

Is it possible to get the PWM or DSD coded signals out of the chip?

By doing that you/we can get an power amplifier output with 4 additional transistors.
I have a design using Lovoltech LU1014D JFET's with JFET regulated onboard power. 25 Watt with these JFET's into 8 ohm and 50 Watt into 4 ohm with only 4 JFET's in addition to your chip...

Have been planning to use the Cirrus CS44800 http://www.cirrus.com/en/products/pro/detail/P1070.html
,but if it is possible to get PWM or DSD coded signals out of the ESS Sabre chip :angel:

Attached photo of the JFET amplifier:

Sorry, not possbily, it will only be a "DAC" not a PWM modulator.

Hi Dustin

I have some questions I not have seen the answers for yet:

1. What are the minimum voltage levels the SPDIF input requires to work properly?

2. What are the DAC switching frequency - by that I mean switches the DAC output at 384k, 768k, 1536k or at some other frequecy?

What are the DAC switching frequency with these three conditions?
2.1. With 44.1k input and 40M clock?
2.2. With 44.1k input and 80M clock?
2.3. With 192k input and 80M clock?

3. Any register settings to change this??

Raymond

Hi again Dustin

I have also some questions regarding Register 11...

Register 11: Mode Control 2 (default=8'b10000101)
[4:2]: DPLL BANDWIDTH
3'b000 => No Bandwidth
3'b001 => Lowest Bandwidth
3'b010 => Low Bandwidth
3'b011 => Med-Low Bandwidth
3'b100 => Medium Bandwidth
3'b101 => Med-High Bandwidth
3'b110 => High Bandwidth
3'b111 => Highest Bandwidth
[1:0]: DE-EMPHASIS SELECT
2'b00 => 32 kHz
2'b01 => 44.1 kHz
2'b10 => 48 kHz
2'b11 => RESERVED

DPLL bandwidth have default the lowest bandwidth,
what changes when medium or high bandwidth are selected?

DE-EMPHASIS select are default set for 44.1 kHz and when register 10 [1] bypass_de-emphasis filter are changed to 0 this filter are in function.
If 44.1 kHz are upsampled to 192 kHz prior to this chip and the 44.1 kHz need de-emphasis, can the de-emphasis filter for 44.1 kHz in the chip be used??

Raymond

RayCtech said:
Hi Dustin

I have some questions I not have seen the answers for yet:

1. What are the minimum voltage levels the SPDIF input requires to work properly?

2. What are the DAC switching frequency - by that I mean switches the DAC output at 384k, 768k, 1536k or at some other frequecy?

What are the DAC switching frequency with these three conditions?
2.1. With 44.1k input and 40M clock?
2.2. With 44.1k input and 80M clock?
2.3. With 192k input and 80M clock?

3. Any register settings to change this??

Raymond

Hi Raymond,
1. The SPDIF input is just a CMOS input with shmidt trigger, so you really should use the comparator circuit to make the spdif input 0 to 3.3V

2. Switching frequency is XI/64. so
2.1 = 625kHz
2.2 = 1.25MHz
2.3 = 1.25MHz

3. No

RayCtech said:

Are this different with SPDIF and SERIAL input??

Raymond

RayCtech said:
Hi again Dustin

I have also some questions regarding Register 11...

Register 11: Mode Control 2 (default=8'b10000101)
[4:2]: DPLL BANDWIDTH
3'b000 => No Bandwidth
3'b001 => Lowest Bandwidth
3'b010 => Low Bandwidth
3'b011 => Med-Low Bandwidth
3'b100 => Medium Bandwidth
3'b101 => Med-High Bandwidth
3'b110 => High Bandwidth
3'b111 => Highest Bandwidth
[1:0]: DE-EMPHASIS SELECT
2'b00 => 32 kHz
2'b01 => 44.1 kHz
2'b10 => 48 kHz
2'b11 => RESERVED

DPLL bandwidth have default the lowest bandwidth,
what changes when medium or high bandwidth are selected?

DE-EMPHASIS select are default set for 44.1 kHz and when register 10 [1] bypass_de-emphasis filter are changed to 0 this filter are in function.
If 44.1 kHz are upsampled to 192 kHz prior to this chip and the 44.1 kHz need de-emphasis, can the de-emphasis filter for 44.1 kHz in the chip be used??

Raymond

Hi Raymond,

No diffeference from SPDIF to serial input on DAC switching frequency,

If you choose higher bandwidth setting, the DPLL locks faster but lets more jitter through. Your tradeoff.

Can only use De-emphasis as the rate of the input. So basically the chip would have no knowledge that the data was origanally at 44.1k if you upsample prior. By no knowledge, I mean it doesn't have a timebase of 44.1kHz to clock the de-emphasis filter at, so it would just run the filter at 192k. Thus stretching its frequency responce accoring tot he ratio of 44.1k to 192k. So basically, it will be useless.

Thanks

Dustin

Hi guys,

This is my first post but I have been following this thread since the beginning and I am really interested in this project. Can you please include me in the list for the first round of boards for the Buffalo?
I have a few questions though - I live in Bulgaria (Eastern Europe) and I was wondering which option I should choose -
Buffalo DAC Module, fully assembled: $129
or
Buffalo DAC Module/Dual Power Supply Combo: $169 -
or are these both required to get it working? I am planning also to include the IVY board so your advise is more than welcome.
I am sorry for the totally newbie questions which show absolute lack of understanding but I have some friends that are really experienced in the field and are willing to help with assembly and troubleshooting so please help. I just wanted to respond asap and not loose the opportunity to get it now :)
Thanks for the understanding.

agent.5 said:
I like to get a SMC media streamer and hook it up to Buffalo. Can they be hooked up via I2S or do I need to order SPDIF too?

The easiest way to do that is to mod the SMC media streamer so that you can take the SPDIF out. The Buffalo accepts SPIDF input directly. No other module is required.

Here is a thread that describes how:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1250796#post1250796

You can use Fuppes to serve up .flac transcoded to .wav.

Cheers!
Russ