ESS Sabre Reference DAC (8-channel)

sidiy said:
Question for Russ: how does the S/PDIF buffer achieve 75 ohm of input Z? As is R13 can not determine the input Z of the circuit, but perhaps I'm wrong.

I hope it's not too late to correct this.

Hi,

I have never implemented that circuit before, but I saw it in the demo board schematic, so unless there is an error in the schematic, I assume it works ok. :)

I Actually do think the impedance of the circuit is 75 ohms, at least at the working frequency.

Maybe someone more familiar with this input buffer can chime in.

Cheers!
Russ

sidiy said:
Question for Russ: how does the S/PDIF buffer achieve 75 ohm of input Z? As is R13 can not determine the input Z of the circuit, but perhaps I'm wrong.

I hope it's not too late to correct this.

It's OK. The incoming signal 'sees' a 75 ohm impedance into the high impedance node of the comparator. It will correctly terminate and will not reflect any energy back into the 75 ohm cable impedance.

:bigeyes:

sidiy said:
Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Then the source sees 75Ohm + something (high) to ground. Which means a lot of reflections back into the source.

Hi Sidly,

Yes you are right this circuit will not do a true 75 Ohm load to terminate the SPDIF line. It was used since it worked (All the time) . Now that you have brought it up, here is a properly done circuit.

Attachments

• spdif_input_better.jpg
    spdif_input_better.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 1,649
dusfor99 said:

Hi Sidly,

Yes you are right this circuit will not do a true 75 Ohm load to terminate the SPDIF line. It was used since it worked (All the time) . Now that you have brought it up, here is a properly done circuit.

Thanks Dustin, that looks much more conventional. :)

I just simulated the previous circuit, and was about to post. :)

Fortunately there is plenty of time to make the change.

Cheers!
Russ

Hi Dustin,
Indeed we'd be in deep trouble if that type of circuit would not work. Every CDP needs a data slicer afterall :D (this because despite using NRZI coding, targeted to eliminate the DC content, the RF signal from the laser diode still 'rides' on a varying level of DC)

I drawed quickly two alternatives. Just a note on the bias through R2 or R7: the voltage drop across them, mainly determined by R3 and respectively R8, must be sensibly higher than the hysterezis of the comparator.

I'm using the second one in one of my DACs, inspired from the demo-board of the PMD100 digital filter.

Hope it helps, cheers!

Attachments

• s-pdif.jpg
    s-pdif.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 1,572
sidiy said:
Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Then the source sees 75Ohm + something (high) to ground. Which means a lot of reflections back into the source.

No, I'm sorry, I disagree with your statement. (grin)

The circuit didn't reflect back to the source. That is why it worked. :D

The term (+ something (high) to ground) is a high impedance in parallel with the 75 ohm.

The incoming AC coupled RF signal doesn't really care about it.

RF signals don't care about 'ground' in general. That is why they are so hard to conceptualize. They will leave the circuit board and travel through the air at a whim. :D

The terminating impedance was close enough. +/- 10% is usually close enough.

I wouldn't have done it that way, but it was good enough and it worked.

You can't argue with that. :D

The coupling cap was required in the comparator circuit because the comparator action operated at 1/2 VCC.

Where is the SPDIF coming from, inside the box or outside?

The MAX part has a -7V to +12V Common-Mode range.

The SPDIF + doesn't actually need a coupling cap and the SPDIF - on the cable doesn't need to be tied to ground. UNLESS it will violate the common mode range.

If there is a chance of the common mode range being violated, then an input signal transformer would solve the problem.

I just looked at the block diagram of the ESS Sabre and realized it does a DSD-PCM-downsampling before upsampling again. Obviously the semiconductor industry still is less fond of DSD than the music industry. What DACs are there that have true DSD (no change of sample rate)?