ESS Sabre Reference DAC (8-channel)

Russ White said:

Oh I certainly agree it probably not worth bothering with!

That said, I actually do have several older CDs that do have pre-emphasis. But I rarely play them.

It just seemed like a natural thing to do.

You would be amazed how many emails I get asking about it.

Cheers!
Russ

Doesn't the CD player handle it, anyway?

Since we are using Oppos and Denons as transports and picking the data off just before their DAC chips, the controller should have recognized that de-emphasis is needed and apply the DSP.

Right?

rossl said:

Doesn't the CD player handle it, anyway?

Since we are using Oppos and Denons as transports and picking the data off just before their DAC chips, the controller should have recognized that de-emphasis is needed and apply the DSP.

Right?

How can you assume what CDP a person is using with the DAC? I have folks using my DACs with all sorts of transports, most (all that I know of even my Denons) leave the PCM intact (straight from the Disc) through SPDIF.

If you have a CS8416 or Wm8804 watch the deemph flag, some very old CDs will light it up. :)

Cheers!
Russ

rossl said:
In that case you will need a SPDIF receiver (Wolfson, CS, etc.) to check the de-emp flag, and the microcontroller will have to watch the flag and set the register in the Sabre8.

Yes, I knew I could do that, but I figured that since they implemented a SPDIF receiver they may also check the flags present on the SPDIF signal.

I hope Dustin chimes in on this as I wonder if its tucked away in there some place.

Updated/Corrected schematic

Ok, assuming that its ok to connect DSD1 and DSD3 I am using Dustin's recommendation for supporting 3 signal input and PCM/DSD/SPDIF inputs.

I am using a small PIC12F629 just to do basic configuration like PCM format etc, as well as change the automute setting (thanks Ross!).

More complex control can be added via a separate PCB, and you can simply omit the PIC if you like as it will be socketed.

I am a bit curious about the comparator bit at the SPDIF input. I have never used such a circuit. Does that part look ok? I basically copied that piece from the eval board schematic.

Thanks for the great input so far.

Cheers!
Russ

Attachments

• schem.pdf
    18.2 KB · Views: 1,019
top(preliminary)

Attachments

• pcb_top.jpg
    pcb_top.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 1,919
Russ White said:

Yes, I knew I could do that, but I figured that since they implemented a SPDIF receiver they may also check the flags present on the SPDIF signal.

I hope Dustin chimes in on this as I wonder if its tucked away in there some place.

The de-emphasis flag is not detected by the SPDIF reciever in this rev of the chip. Yes, its obvious it should have been, but it was overlooked :eek:. Once again, sorry guys.

Dustin

Variac said:

The Oppo players are worth considering..
And very very cheap..

dusfor99 said:

Tried that, but there DSD signal is not anywhere on the PCB. Basically, the DSD is converted to PCM before being sent to the DAC

Dustin

That's why I like the Oppo :D

It converts the DSD to PCM so I can use a DSP equalizer to correct for speakers and room reflections before sending it to the DAC.

Correcting the bass for the room standing waves and zeros makes it sound awesome.