ESS Sabre Reference DAC (8-channel) - Page 88 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd July 2008, 02:02 PM   #871
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Russ White
Quote:
Originally posted by VT67
Russ, Brian

Any update on when the first Buffalo's will be shipped?

Regards
Hi,

First? That was quite a while back.

Brian is in the process of shipping out current orders.

Cheers!
Russ
Old 23rd July 2008, 02:23 PM   #872
diyAudio Member

Okay, here's what's up:

I opened up for pre-orders for this round on June 30th, and sold out in about 8 hours.

A large percentage of people ordered IVY's and power supplies, so I have roughly 3x kits to get together, in addition to the Buffalos to build and other bits people ordered.

I am on track to ship all of these this week, starting today, hopefully (if the day job doesn't get in the way too much ).

I hope to have another batch available in the next few weeks, but since for each Buffalo there is typically three additional kits I have to build, and I am a one man kit building show, I will need to keep the batches smaller to keep my head from exploding.

The benefit of this will be more chances to get one if you are not on the forums or our site all the time. I will make an announcement of when each batch will be available well in advance. They will likely be available every 3-4 weeks to allow build time.
Old 27th July 2008, 01:03 AM   #873
rossl is offline rossl  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by wobbly
Another small issue with my CD PRO2 transport is it inverts absolute phase - so I have to ask,whats the phase relationship thru the twistedpear combo,and any recomendation as to where i should reinvert the signal.
I believe that when we speak of absolute phase inversion in a digital product, the signal is "upside down".

Since the Sabre has a differential output, you can just treat the left channel + output as really being the -, and the left - as the +. Just swap the wires. And ditto for the right channel.

It's not so easy to deal with if you use a DAC that is single ended and not differential, but we don't have that problem here in this thread on the Sabre
Old 28th July 2008, 10:05 AM   #874
NeoY2k is offline NeoY2k  France
diyAudio Member

Oops sorry
Old 29th July 2008, 04:36 AM   #875
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CeeVee
I was record holder of the 100m at my school at 18

Hi CeeVee,

We got somthing in common. Those days are long gone though.
Old 29th July 2008, 04:37 AM   #876
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by wobbly
Another small issue with my CD PRO2 transport is it inverts absolute phase - so I have to ask,whats the phase relationship thru the twistedpear combo,and any recomendation as to where i should reinvert the signal.

The Sabre chip itself can invert signal if neeeded

Dustin
Old 29th July 2008, 05:08 AM   #877
wobbly is offline wobbly  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

AsI havnt recieved the kit yet I havnt read the ESS or T.P paperwork,,but is the invert function a software option or a simple pin/dip ground issue that would enable a front panel switch.
Also Dustin I would be interested to find out the reasoning behind your choice of the bitclock at 64fs Vs any other number ie 48fs as per the Philips CD PRO2 - as above, this means the dac and transport arent "plug and play"compatable.
Old 29th July 2008, 09:08 AM   #878
CeeVee is offline CeeVee  Portugal
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dusfor99

Hi CeeVee,

We got somthing in common. Those days are long gone though.

....don't remind me,

While i wait for a chance to order a Buffalo, i enjoy a bit of tinkering....and some decent sound, lampizating a cheap 24/96 from hk.
Old 29th July 2008, 11:41 PM   #879
schro20 is offline schro20  United States
diyAudio Member

Default digital volume control?

I always thought that digital volume control was "bad" and all volume control should be done in analog. Reason: you only have so many bits, so if you digitally scale values from (let's say) 0-255 to go only from 0-15 you have only 16 different levels left when you started with 256. If you scale in analog you still have 256 levels between 0 and 15. The latter presumably having more fidelity. Is that argument missing the point?

(I hope not to unleash a big argument here... Just point me someplace I can educate myself.)

Or is this something that's special about the ESS chip that it can do this the "right" way and the above argument is still correct in a more generic context?

peter
Old 30th July 2008, 03:39 PM   #880
DaveM is offline DaveM  United States
diyAudio Member

I haven't done a ton of reading into the actual setup of this yet, so tell me if this is an ignorant question, but is there a suggestion for the needed transformers?

Hide this!Advertise here!