ESS Sabre Reference DAC (8-channel) - Page 75 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th May 2008, 03:55 PM   #741
diyAudio Member

Hi Tripathdude,

if I may .... you won't want any DC across the transformers, but I'm guessing there will be a DC blocking cap in the Promitheus buffer, in which case you could hook it straight up to the output of the Sabre DAC. I'd suggest getting in touch with Promitheus to check.

The Promitheus is a voltage buffer, so needs a voltage input. The Sabre chip can work as voltage or current out, but gives better performance with current output, technically at least.

Dan
Old 16th May 2008, 05:47 PM   #742
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Russ White
Quote:
Originally posted by chalkandtalk
Russ: I note that Twisted Pear no longer has any Joshua Trees. I will be ordering a Bufalo DAC as soon as I can but need a vol control.

Will you be offering a way to control the volume digitally soon?

cheers

Aidan

JTs will be available soon, as well as a way to control the Buffalo volume. So you could go either way.

Cheers!
Russ
Old 16th May 2008, 09:17 PM   #743
diyAudio Member

RUSS

Just received a brand new Denon-1920 for a just incredible price!
Unit is an open box item, no cosmetic or electrical functional defects.
I will be ordering Buffalo boards for the Denon update.

Merlin
Old 19th May 2008, 01:04 AM   #744
diyAudio Member

Default Power up and down timing sequence

This may be a(n) R T F M question, but I don't have the full datasheet on hand.

Question for Dustin:

Could a slower startup of the analog supplies cause any harm to the chip? And conversely, would power remaining on to the analog section after digital powerdown, for instance from residual charge in bypassing, cause any harm to the chip?

I'm looking into a separate 3.3V supply for the analog section, not derived from the digital 3.3V supply, or a much lower time constant filter from the digital supply to the analog supply buffers.

Early futzing and listening shows considerable promise. Excellent phrasing and timing, PRAT on the UK/Euro side of the puddle. Tight, deep, articulate low end. Pinpoint L/R imaging. Piano is sounding really good. Working on liquid textures and front to back dimensionality to match.

Thanks,

WMS
Old 19th May 2008, 09:59 AM   #745
Goto is offline Goto  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

WMS

Is that a "Teddyreg" (VBE multiplier?) psu you're experimenting with?

I have been having similar thoughts but haven't built one yet.

Mark
Old 19th May 2008, 02:27 PM   #746
diyAudio Member

Got my package today, you have one very very happy man here
The boards are simply amazing, I have friends working in the industry and they are very happy with the quality too, delivery to this end of the world was simply lightning fast and yes, it is spam but please let me thank Brian and Russ for making me truly happy. Thanks again guys, I will post on the results very soon, please be patient as I am not at your level of expertise.
Old 19th May 2008, 02:37 PM   #747
diyAudio Member

Russ or Brian,

Any news on when the next modules will be available and how to get on the list? I will be off globe trotting in a month or two and won't be able to build for at least a year. I need a Buffalo kit including trans and IVY.

In regards to the Denon DVD-1920, will the 1930 and 1940 be the same player with a few changes, or is the 1920 diferent inside? I know that with the 3910, 3920, 3930, and so on that there were very little changes with the hardware. Most of the evolution onthese units is software based.
Old 19th May 2008, 03:47 PM   #748
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by khundude
Russ or Brian,

Any news on when the next modules will be available and how to get on the list? I will be off globe trotting in a month or two and won't be able to build for at least a year. I need a Buffalo kit including trans and IVY.

In regards to the Denon DVD-1920, will the 1930 and 1940 be the same player with a few changes, or is the 1920 diferent inside? I know that with the 3910, 3920, 3930, and so on that there were very little changes with the hardware. Most of the evolution onthese units is software based.
No news yet. Brian and and I are working hard to work in some design tweaks based on test data we are receiving. Stay tuned.

I don't have any other Denons to look at right other than a DVD-2910 and a DVD-1920. So I can't really answer that question.

Between the two players the DVD-1920 looks much easier to mod.

Cheers!
Russ
Old 19th May 2008, 04:06 PM   #749
diyAudio Member

Hi Russ,

Has Dustin measured it then? How's it looking?

My 2p, for what it's worth, would be to add a reg (perhaps a filtered opamp similar to the analogue 3.3V supply) for the clock. Anyway, hope you are having fun!

Cheers,
Dan
Old 19th May 2008, 04:14 PM   #750
diyAudio Member

So far only the IVY has been tested. But Dustin's initial remarks are generally very positive.

Preliminary IVY numbers DNR ~ 133dB THD ~ -115dB performance was pretty equal between the balanced and single ended outputs.

Cheers!
Russ

Hide this!Advertise here!