ESS Sabre Reference DAC (8-channel) - Page 72 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th May 2008, 04:22 PM   #711
Cappy is offline Cappy  United States
diyAudio Member

Wackyterbacky,

15 feet of I2S, did I read that right?

If so, try 4 inches instead of 180 inches, and see if that improves the situation.
Old 13th May 2008, 05:01 PM   #712
diyAudio Member

Default 15ft of I2S???

wackyterbacky,

if the Sabre is as tolerant of jitter as it seems to be, you might try s/pdif out. You may not be able to tell the difference. (again, assuming the sabre is as good as it claims at rejecting jitter) Might be a better way to go 15ft... (maybe a quality optical cable?)

as for I2S, if you expect it to travel that far, you will need a buffer. 15ft of even the best coax will prove to large of a load for most any chip not specifically designed for driving long transmission lines. (I'm surprised it works at all, the signal at the receiver must look pretty bad ;-) some termination, or a 75ohm coax could even help, hard to know what the output impedance of the I2S driver is. (probably not a perfect 50/60ohm)

-CK
Old 13th May 2008, 06:05 PM   #713
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Russ White
On the Denon DVD-1920 mod I will be doing I will use both PCM and DSD. There is an LED that lights when the player is playing an SACD I will tap that line to trigger an OTTO. So when the LED is lit the OTTO is sending DSD to the buffalo, when it is not lit it is sending PCM. All of this fits nicesly in the DVD-1920 case when you remove the analog module (very easy).
Thats a great idea, I will try that as well. What kind of cable will you be running from the player to the buffalo? Im thinking that a shielded CAT6 cable would do the trick, but Im not sure how long I could run it. Might only need 20cm or so between the boxes.
Old 13th May 2008, 06:11 PM   #714
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Russ White
Quote:
Originally posted by MrMajestic
What kind of cable will you be running from the player to the buffalo?
I will probably just use small coax or CAT5. I may even try it with bare wire at first. The wire run should be pretty short.

While I know it was not great, I was amazed how well the DSD did even with about 3ft of ugly wire.

Cheers!
Russ
Old 13th May 2008, 06:19 PM   #715
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Russ White

I will probably just use small coax or CAT5. I may even try it with bare wire at first. The wire run should be pretty short.

While I know it was not great, I was amazed how well the DSD did even with about 3ft of ugly wire.

Cheers!
Russ
This is so cool, I cant wait to try it. I have to get my hands on a Denon 1920 first and of course the Buffalo DAC
Old 13th May 2008, 06:50 PM   #716
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Russ White
Quote:
Originally posted by MrMajestic

This is so cool, I cant wait to try it. I have to get my hands on a Denon 1920 first and of course the Buffalo DAC

Yeah I am looking forward to trying it. I have high hopes, but it is not tested yet.

Cheers!
Russ
Old 13th May 2008, 11:05 PM   #717
diyAudio Member

Thanks Russ for all the great info and the good work.

I've been following this thread since early on, and am very excited to try out the buffalo. I'm interested to see how well it handles jitter (no I2S here - just spdif ;-) and how well it compares overall to my Lavry DA10.

In the process I've discovered a few other items of use on the twisted pear site (darwin, OTTO, & the JT attenuator) I'm saving my pennies and making a shopping list.

Any solid plans yet on when the JT & the buffalo will be back in stock?

Thanks!
-CK
Old 13th May 2008, 11:10 PM   #718
diyAudio Member

Default Re: 15ft of I2S???

wackyterbacky et. al.,

Quote:
Originally posted by wackyterbacky
I want to add a caveat to the Juli@ I2S outputs. I use this and I'm driving 15 foot lengths of RG-174U ( 50ohm ) coax, since my PC and DAC are a ways a part.
I also want to try the Buffalo with the Juli@, but it may require cleaning up the I2S outputs.

Please keep us apprised of your progress in hot-rodding the ESI Juli@!

I'll be watching with interest because I have an older ESI board to which I HOPE I can add some 'Buffalo sauce'. It is the external "Wami-Rack 192X" that uses the AKM 4355. [The board was an e-bay special - I've kept it because I like the software even though the DAC isn't pristine.] Considering a mod, I would need six balanced channels (with I/V) so it's not a good project for experimentation. Moreover, I have been unable to confirm with the manufacturer's tech support that the DAC is being fed I2S data. ... so if anybody happens to know...

I would add that the stock interface cable for this older rack-mount DAC was 15 feet. When I replaced that cable with one that was 2.5 feet the sound improvement was not subtle.

Good luck and again, your results & insights will be appreciated.

Frank in Mpls.
Old 13th May 2008, 11:33 PM   #719
diyAudio Member

Russ, that is a great idea with the LED to switch the OTTO! Do you have any suggestions on other pure DSD players to mod, the cheaper the better. I often see the likes of old Pioneer DV-563A's and other Denons on Ebay or locally. After finding out that Oppo converts the DSD to PCM first, I began to look for another option. I don't need a DVD player either, it can be a Sony SACD player or such. Suggestions anyone?

One or two more things about transformers for the power supplies. Are the ones you sell able to be wired for 230v operation as I will be back in Asia in four months? Same with the Denon player, will it be easy to convert to 230v or do I buy one with 230v?
Old 14th May 2008, 12:52 AM   #720
peufeu is offline peufeu  France
diyAudio Member

Quote:
After finding out that Oppo converts the DSD to PCM first, I began to look for another option.
Unless it gets converted to 44 kHz, where is the problem ?

Hide this!Advertise here!