ESS Sabre Reference DAC (8-channel) - Page 64 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2008, 08:29 AM   #631
peufeu is offline peufeu  France
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Lyon, France
That thing is a bitch to layout only on 2 layers, lol.
  Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2008, 11:37 AM   #632
diyAudio Member
 
MrMajestic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Quote:
Originally posted by peufeu
That thing is a bitch to layout only on 2 layers, lol.

?
  Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2008, 12:30 PM   #633
diyAudio Member
 
Russ White's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Nashville, TN, USA
Send a message via Yahoo to Russ White
Quote:
Originally posted by MrMajestic
Great posts Russ, just what I was looking for I think i remember reading somehwre in the thread that you tried DVD-Audio out as well. Where did you tap that?

Edit:
Would pin 46,47 and 50 get me PCM output and could I run that to TP SPDIF module?

Hello,

I have not tested PCM to SPDIF on this player yet, but it looks like you will want to take the PCM signal from:

PLRCK (51) - Left/Right clock

PBCK (50) - Bit Clock

PDATA1 (46) - PCM DATA for channels 1 and 2 (Usually front left and right).

I am not sure the format yet, I will let you know when I try it.

Cheers!
Russ
__________________
Less pulp more juice Twisted Pear Audio.
  Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2008, 12:43 PM   #634
peufeu is offline peufeu  France
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Lyon, France
Quote:
Originally posted by MrMajestic



?

I mean that a proper layout of this chip needs a plane for GND, a plane for the analog VCC, and a plane for the core voltage, because of the way the power pins are placed, which is slightly too much for 2 layers, you'd need 4 layers.

However 2 layers will work, you probably won't get the ludicrously high crosstalk performance figures in the datasheet, but you'll probably still get high performance, and as long as it sounds good...

I'm not blaming Dustin 'cause the way the power pins are placed around the chip really makes sense, I stand in awe just looking at the pinout thinking "damn, someone finally got it right". So, congrats.

Now, Dustin, can you please add a differential clock input ? There are NC pins there, use them, I mean all the high-perf instrumentation DACs have differential clock inputs (for good reason), PLEASE be the first to introduce this for audio, I'll build you a shrine, I'll immolate chickens in the name of ya, I'll drive to your place with a pack o'beer, but please, give me that differential clock input which is basically the only way to achieve ultra low jitter without massive design headaches.
  Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2008, 01:15 PM   #635
rossl is offline rossl  United States
diyAudio Member
 
rossl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Central Ohio
the demo board is 2 layers, and it sounds good.

so, I'm sure if you layout a 4 layer board, it will be much better
  Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2008, 01:18 PM   #636
diyAudio Member
 
Russ White's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Nashville, TN, USA
Send a message via Yahoo to Russ White
I did not have any issues routing the board 2 layer, and I think the routing is very good. if anything it forced me to carefully think about the GND and power returns. We will see how it measures. Personally I don't see the need for a 4 layer board in the least.

Cheers!
Russ
__________________
Less pulp more juice Twisted Pear Audio.
  Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2008, 03:12 PM   #637
diyAudio Member
 
wildmonkeysects's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: socal, merka.
Quote:
Originally posted by peufeu

Now, Dustin, can you please add a differential clock input ? There are NC pins there, use them, I mean all the high-perf instrumentation DACs have differential clock inputs (for good reason), PLEASE be the first to introduce this for audio, I'll build you a shrine, I'll immolate chickens in the name of ya, I'll drive to your place with a pack o'beer, but please, give me that differential clock input which is basically the only way to achieve ultra low jitter without massive design headaches.
You owe me a new keyboard and I second the emotion: although Dustin had mentioned that there are no analog bias lines inside the chip; an LVDS or PECL diff clock input would be XLNT, and that small amount of (internal to the chip) analog circuitry could be done without breaking the design integrity. Rev C? The chip is already good, that would be gooder. That and adding a mono input mode. And disabling automute so that a standalone HW mode would be practical.

Paging Dustin...?
  Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2008, 03:29 PM   #638
diyAudio Member
 
MrMajestic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Quote:
Originally posted by Russ White



Hello,

I have not tested PCM to SPDIF on this player yet, but it looks like you will want to take the PCM signal from:

PLRCK (51) - Left/Right clock

PBCK (50) - Bit Clock

PDATA1 (46) - PCM DATA for channels 1 and 2 (Usually front left and right).

I am not sure the format yet, I will let you know when I try it.

Cheers!
Russ
Ah yes, pin 47 is not correct, must have been tired Would be great if this worked.
  Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2008, 03:36 PM   #639
peufeu is offline peufeu  France
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Lyon, France
Quote:
Originally posted by wildmonkeysects


You owe me a new keyboard and I second the emotion: although Dustin had mentioned that there are no analog bias lines inside the chip; an LVDS or PECL diff clock input would be XLNT, and that small amount of (internal to the chip) analog circuitry could be done without breaking the design integrity. Rev C? The chip is already good, that would be gooder. That and adding a mono input mode. And disabling automute so that a standalone HW mode would be practical.

Paging Dustin...?
Haha.
Actually Xilinx gets ridiculously low jitter (useful for über-gigabit speeds) in their humongously expensive Virtex-5 by putting differential clock lines ON THE DIE.
  Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2008, 04:31 PM   #640
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Quote:
Originally posted by peufeu



I mean that a proper layout of this chip needs a plane for GND, a plane for the analog VCC, and a plane for the core voltage, because of the way the power pins are placed, which is slightly too much for 2 layers, you'd need 4 layers.

However 2 layers will work, you probably won't get the ludicrously high crosstalk performance figures in the datasheet, but you'll probably still get high performance, and as long as it sounds good...

I'm not blaming Dustin 'cause the way the power pins are placed around the chip really makes sense, I stand in awe just looking at the pinout thinking "damn, someone finally got it right". So, congrats.

Now, Dustin, can you please add a differential clock input ? There are NC pins there, use them, I mean all the high-perf instrumentation DACs have differential clock inputs (for good reason), PLEASE be the first to introduce this for audio, I'll build you a shrine, I'll immolate chickens in the name of ya, I'll drive to your place with a pack o'beer, but please, give me that differential clock input which is basically the only way to achieve ultra low jitter without massive design headaches.

Hi Peufeu,

The Xtalk number we post in the datasheet are derived from a 2 layer board. To my knowledge there has been no 4 layer board for this chip yet. I just wanted to point that out.


Thanks

Dustin
  Reply With Quote

Reply


Hide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 12:49 AM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©1999-2014 diyAudio

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2