ESS Sabre Reference DAC (8-channel) - Page 64 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th April 2008, 08:29 AM   #631
peufeu is offline peufeu  France
diyAudio Member

That thing is a bitch to layout only on 2 layers, lol.
Old 30th April 2008, 11:37 AM   #632
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by peufeu
That thing is a bitch to layout only on 2 layers, lol.

?
Old 30th April 2008, 12:30 PM   #633
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Russ White
Quote:
Originally posted by MrMajestic
Great posts Russ, just what I was looking for I think i remember reading somehwre in the thread that you tried DVD-Audio out as well. Where did you tap that?

Edit:
Would pin 46,47 and 50 get me PCM output and could I run that to TP SPDIF module?

Hello,

I have not tested PCM to SPDIF on this player yet, but it looks like you will want to take the PCM signal from:

PLRCK (51) - Left/Right clock

PBCK (50) - Bit Clock

PDATA1 (46) - PCM DATA for channels 1 and 2 (Usually front left and right).

I am not sure the format yet, I will let you know when I try it.

Cheers!
Russ
Old 30th April 2008, 12:43 PM   #634
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MrMajestic

?

I mean that a proper layout of this chip needs a plane for GND, a plane for the analog VCC, and a plane for the core voltage, because of the way the power pins are placed, which is slightly too much for 2 layers, you'd need 4 layers.

However 2 layers will work, you probably won't get the ludicrously high crosstalk performance figures in the datasheet, but you'll probably still get high performance, and as long as it sounds good...

I'm not blaming Dustin 'cause the way the power pins are placed around the chip really makes sense, I stand in awe just looking at the pinout thinking "damn, someone finally got it right". So, congrats.

Now, Dustin, can you please add a differential clock input ? There are NC pins there, use them, I mean all the high-perf instrumentation DACs have differential clock inputs (for good reason), PLEASE be the first to introduce this for audio, I'll build you a shrine, I'll immolate chickens in the name of ya, I'll drive to your place with a pack o'beer, but please, give me that differential clock input which is basically the only way to achieve ultra low jitter without massive design headaches.
Old 30th April 2008, 01:15 PM   #635
rossl is offline rossl  United States
diyAudio Member

the demo board is 2 layers, and it sounds good.

so, I'm sure if you layout a 4 layer board, it will be much better
Old 30th April 2008, 01:18 PM   #636
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Russ White
I did not have any issues routing the board 2 layer, and I think the routing is very good. if anything it forced me to carefully think about the GND and power returns. We will see how it measures. Personally I don't see the need for a 4 layer board in the least.

Cheers!
Russ
Old 30th April 2008, 03:12 PM   #637
diyAudio Member

Quote:

Now, Dustin, can you please add a differential clock input ? There are NC pins there, use them, I mean all the high-perf instrumentation DACs have differential clock inputs (for good reason), PLEASE be the first to introduce this for audio, I'll build you a shrine, I'll immolate chickens in the name of ya, I'll drive to your place with a pack o'beer, but please, give me that differential clock input which is basically the only way to achieve ultra low jitter without massive design headaches.
You owe me a new keyboard and I second the emotion: although Dustin had mentioned that there are no analog bias lines inside the chip; an LVDS or PECL diff clock input would be XLNT, and that small amount of (internal to the chip) analog circuitry could be done without breaking the design integrity. Rev C? The chip is already good, that would be gooder. That and adding a mono input mode. And disabling automute so that a standalone HW mode would be practical.

Paging Dustin...?
Old 30th April 2008, 03:29 PM   #638
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Russ White

Hello,

I have not tested PCM to SPDIF on this player yet, but it looks like you will want to take the PCM signal from:

PLRCK (51) - Left/Right clock

PBCK (50) - Bit Clock

PDATA1 (46) - PCM DATA for channels 1 and 2 (Usually front left and right).

I am not sure the format yet, I will let you know when I try it.

Cheers!
Russ
Ah yes, pin 47 is not correct, must have been tired Would be great if this worked.
Old 30th April 2008, 03:36 PM   #639
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by wildmonkeysects

You owe me a new keyboard and I second the emotion: although Dustin had mentioned that there are no analog bias lines inside the chip; an LVDS or PECL diff clock input would be XLNT, and that small amount of (internal to the chip) analog circuitry could be done without breaking the design integrity. Rev C? The chip is already good, that would be gooder. That and adding a mono input mode. And disabling automute so that a standalone HW mode would be practical.

Paging Dustin...?
Haha.
Actually Xilinx gets ridiculously low jitter (useful for über-gigabit speeds) in their humongously expensive Virtex-5 by putting differential clock lines ON THE DIE.
Old 30th April 2008, 04:31 PM   #640
diyAudio Member

Quote:

I mean that a proper layout of this chip needs a plane for GND, a plane for the analog VCC, and a plane for the core voltage, because of the way the power pins are placed, which is slightly too much for 2 layers, you'd need 4 layers.

However 2 layers will work, you probably won't get the ludicrously high crosstalk performance figures in the datasheet, but you'll probably still get high performance, and as long as it sounds good...

I'm not blaming Dustin 'cause the way the power pins are placed around the chip really makes sense, I stand in awe just looking at the pinout thinking "damn, someone finally got it right". So, congrats.

Hi Peufeu,

The Xtalk number we post in the datasheet are derived from a 2 layer board. To my knowledge there has been no 4 layer board for this chip yet. I just wanted to point that out.

Thanks

Dustin

Hide this!Advertise here!