ESS Sabre Reference DAC (8-channel) - Page 62 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th April 2008, 01:06 AM   #611
Variac is offline Variac  United States
diyAudio Editor

I feel that I must delete the post with the link based on
Brian Donegan's statement that according to his knowlege it isn't for publication.

Dustin, please tell me if it is OK to list the link as it must be terribly frustrating to be interested yet not have access to the spec sheet.

Old 29th April 2008, 01:28 AM   #612
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Russ White
Quote:
Originally posted by Variac
it must be terribly frustrating to be interested yet not have access to the spec sheet.
I can confirm that.

I spent a few days in frustration mode without the datasheet.

Hopefully ESS will see fit to make it public. I am not sure why it's confidential, but apparently it still is...

I hope they change that.

Cheers!
Russ
Old 29th April 2008, 01:42 AM   #613
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BrianDonegan
You should know this is a datasheet that ESS only wants distributed with a signed NDA (non-disclosure agreement). Whether or not you agree with that policy, by posting links to the datasheet without permission, you are more likely to 'turn off the tap' of information being provided here by ESS insiders.

Isn't this a DIY forum? If we can't access the data sheets, I'm more than a little perturbed... How else are we supposed to design schematics or boards based on this chip? Without the data sheet - it's meaningless to me. And there's no doubt you guys (TPA) won't be able to release the data sheet or your Sabre schematics on your website either. At some point, I think we need to seriously question whether this discussion should be moved out of DIY.
Old 29th April 2008, 01:46 AM   #614
Variac is offline Variac  United States
diyAudio Editor

I agree
Old 29th April 2008, 01:49 AM   #615
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ezkcdude
And there's no doubt you guys (TPA) won't be able to release the data sheet or your Sabre schematics on your website either.
Evan,

There is no legal hurdle to publishing the schematic. I checked that.

As to the datasheet It can be had by anyone, you just have to jump through some hoops.

I do agree ESS should not require an NDA to get it. Seems a bit silly to me. Especially since for a month or more it was publicly available.

Cheers!
Russ
Old 29th April 2008, 01:57 AM   #616
diyAudio Member

One pretty cool thing about it being in a DIY thread, is that nearly all of the critical data in the datasheet is actually right here in the thread. Look at the code I posted for a lot of clues. There is nothing illegal or shady about posting those things.

A lot of those details would not have come to light so soon without a thread like this. So while I think ESS is a bit strange for not making the DS public, I applaud Dustin for being to helpful to us.

Also, just as a point of fact, not all DIY people will need, or be interested in the datasheet. Of course many will.

Cheers!
Russ
Old 29th April 2008, 02:15 AM   #617
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Russ White
[B]One pretty cool thing about it being in a DIY thread, is that nearly all of the critical data in the datasheet is actually right here in the thread. Look at the code I posted for a lot of clues. There is nothing illegal or shady about posting those things.
If you're able to disclose schematics and code, what is it that the NDA actually protects?
Old 29th April 2008, 02:21 AM   #618
agent.5 is offline agent.5  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:

If you're able to disclose schematics and code, what is it that the NDA actually protects?
Pretty much nothing, as the source of the disclosure is in the public domain already and mounting a legal challenge will cost tens or hundreds of thousands.
Old 29th April 2008, 02:24 AM   #619
diyAudio Member

Quote:

I have no idea what it is exactly they are keeping close to the vest, except perhaps the performance specs and such. Which is why I think it's silly. My guess is they view the data sheet as preliminary data (as it is marked) and may want to revise it before it is public. I just don't know. Basically its in a beta state, as many who have seen will agree.

I have been in close contact with Dustin, so I know I am doing nothing wrong when I post what I do, if he wanted it gone I would know. Also nothing I have signed puts me in a position where I cannot share the things I have shared so far. I am very careful about that sort of thing.

I think soon you will see the entire data sheet public (and hopefully corrected). Perhaps it is undergoing revision.

Cheers!
Russ
Old 29th April 2008, 02:34 AM   #620
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Russ White

I think soon you will see the entire data sheet public (and hopefully corrected). Perhaps it is undergoing revision.

Cheers!
Russ

You're probably right about that.

Hide this!Advertise here!