ESS Sabre Reference DAC (8-channel)

Attachments

• fwb.jpg
    fwb.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 1,214
New Sabre DAC

Russ/Brian
I'm WAY new to DIY construction, and have a dumb question (sorry, only kind I can ask at this point). :xeye:

I guess that the existing Buffalo board designs are built to work with the Sabre DAC chip that's already out. So that if I were to purchase your currently "commercially available" Buffalo Board with the existing DAC, I'd have to purchase a new Board (once it's been designed, etc.) to go with the new iteration of Sabre DAC. Is that correct?

And, I would also wager that in the process of designing the new boards, you're in deep enough to have no time frame for when the new Buffalo (?) is going to be available. :cannotbe:

In anticipation of your gracious reply, Thanks!

Larry

Re: New Sabre DAC

Muser said:
Russ/Brian

1) I guess that the existing Buffalo board designs are built to work with the Sabre DAC chip that's already out. So that if I were to purchase your currently "commercially available" Buffalo Board with the existing DAC, I'd have to purchase a new Board (once it's been designed, etc.) to go with the new iteration of Sabre DAC. Is that correct?

2) And, I would also wager that in the process of designing the new boards, you're in deep enough to have no time frame for when the new Buffalo (?) is going to be available. :cannotbe:

In anticipation of your gracious reply, Thanks!

Larry

Hi Larry,

1) Correct.

2) We are aiming to get a new design out as soon as practical, but our schedule is dictated by some outside factors beyond our control, so the best we can do is keep our site updated with news about coming attractions.

Cheers!
Russ

Re: Counter point DAC

nagaesan said:
I am sorry, the Counter point DAC have discrete active I/V stage, and this is not ES9008S?

The Counterpoint is indeed intended for the ESS9008/ES9018, but it would work equally well with any current output DAC. It is meant specifically our Buffalo DAC. :) I am not sure how you would make it work with the EVAL board as you would need to exclude the on-board I/V stage. Probably would require some board surgery. :)

There is a quad opamp on the board, but it is only used to set bias voltages and act as an integrator. It does not do the actual I/V conversion.

It could be called a type of fully symmetrical folded cascode current conveyor design, but not a classic current conveyor. I am really not sure how to classify it.

One cool feature is that the output can be balanced even if you use a single ended current source, but you can take only one end and use it single ended with almost no THD penalty.

I can't wait to fire it up and give it a rip outside the simulator. The earlier prototype worked very well. So hopefully the testing goes ok.

Cheers!
Russ