ESS Sabre Reference DAC (8-channel)

Ozone,
I'm making a board for 8ch ESS Sabre.
In fact, I already made it and sent the gerbers to the factory. Lead time is 4 weeks now to get the PCB... Will make the first and tell you if it works. I'll have something like 7 spare board so if you like... Form factor is a bit larger than TP's stuff but nothing to worry about.

However, a few points:
- It's not going to be cheap to build (CCHD 950 clock, all C0G/NP0 small caps, all solid polymer (oscons like) big caps, and big Fair Rite ferrites.
- It's all SMD. But I may solder it for you.
-It is routed for the Sabre8, not the Sabre32. If filtering etc.... is done via registers programming, then it will be ok for Sabre 32 too.

There's nothing onboard. Just the chip, decoupling, the clock, and headers.
1 header for inputs, 2 headers for outputs, 1 input for power rails (7... you'll need some regulators. I'll have some to spare too, probably). 1 i2C header and 1 control header (reset, address...).

So you'll have to use regulators (I will probably provide them), I/V (I suggest you use TP's IVY), input stuff (you'll have to go i2s to have 8ch, so you'll probably have to roll your own reveiver board, or check how you could synchronize 8 TP's SPDIF receiver boards?). And for programming etc... You'll have to use your own microcontroller (or computer to upload i2c). I'm going to use Arduino stuff as the simplest way to do it. An Atmega 168 may seem overkill for it but... i2c is so simple on arduino and these boards are so cheap.

Nicolas

Excellent! I'll definitely have a board or two from you. I still have a spare Sabre chip, and I don't mind soldering everything.

I might have to use cheaper alternatives for some of the other components though - especially that Crystek!

Hopefully the Sabre32 is all configured via I2C. I'm guessing it's pin compatible, so might be an easy swap.

The I2C stuff should be easy. I've never used Atmel chips before, but I've got a fair bit of experience with PIC assembly. (picked up a lot of C lately too - not half as difficult as I was dreading.)

My biggest problem has always been getting proper PCB's made - I gave up trying to make DIY PCB's as the copper always falls off after a while.

I've only had two projects sent off to be made in the past - one of them was completely messed up (84 pins swapped!), and the other one worked fine but turned out not to be suitable.

I was also worried about proper routing on the Sabre PCB, so rather you than me! ;)

I suppose that having four IVY modules wouldn't be too bad, as they would stack nicely. I still have seven Sympatico's to build before that anyway (once I get hold of the components).

Please PM me with pricing etc. once the boards arrive.

Many thanks,
OzOnE.

Fine! I'll send you a PM when boards are there. If you just take the board and buy solder everything by yourself you won't be out for much xD. I should calculate it but I think It'll be around 30$ for the board. It may seem a bit steep but it's the price for 4-layers... But considering It'll do 8 channels, it's not that bad.

Yeah the crystek part is expensive. I don't know if it will be pin compatible with less expensive ones. Maybe could you get your hands on some copper strips...?

I'll create my own thread tomorrow and will post "3d views" of these boards. It's rather useless but...

Simple question: I don't have the ESS chips yet, and hadn't the luck to speak to Brian at Shaws. I will try again to call him in the following days, I'd look fairly stupid with my boards but chip to populate...

How did you sourced yours?

Attachments

• 634hyper25.jpg
    634hyper25.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 1,518
Kooka said:
Does anybody know why these guys at TP do not reply to emails on their site? I emailed them 3 times in the next 15 days on their website (last time 2 days ago), but with no reply to any of the questions. Is this normal, on your experience? Doesn't their email work? Or what else..?

It may be that your email is going to my spam folder. Try emailing me through the forum. :)

Cheers!
Russ

HI Russ

Bet you've been rather busy with the counterpoint. As a Newbie, I've been thoroughly interested in following your groups development threads on the Buffalo, in one word 'impressive'. quite the hot item, congrats. Any chance of some Buffalo kits soon? Would sure be a kick to get one of them. I picked up a eval board and a es9008, but in all reality I don't think I've really got the skill set to do much more than experiment; buts that's never seemed to stop me in the past. Good luck with the counter___ How' Nashville these days, raised in Hunts. AL myself.
Charles

Hello! I'm Digital "WOTAKU" live in JAPAN.

Hello, DIYers!

I am nagaesan, an enthusiast of ES9008S chip live in JAPAN.

Russ wrote;
>I am guessing you mean "demo-board" firmware?

I think that you know, inside ES9008S IC-chip, there is some memory area and controll software for re-setting firmware.
I use ES9008S boards, that have USB controller. The work to renew firmware is very simple.
But I think you can renew from I2c interface your firmware in ES9008S IC on the Buffallo DAC.

hirez69 wrote;

>On the Ess site they are not available.
>The latest release is 2.0.2.1 version.

Yes. The latest rversion "2.0.2.1".
[sabre8_automute_disabled.iic] and [sabre8_noAM_SPDIF_Pol0Deg.iic] are not exhibit yet.

>Where did you find them?

I suggested improvement of ES9008S to JAPANESE ESS-IC chip importer ARROW UEC. And helping ES9008S promotion in JAPAN.
I am introducing ESS's ES9008S "super high performance" on my homepage. As a result I got experimentally version firmwares.

http://www.teddigital.com/ESS_Es9008B.htm

Attachments

• gui1register0.jpg
    gui1register0.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 772
I think that you know, inside ES9008S IC-chip, there is some memory area and controll software for re-setting firmware. I use ES9008S boards, that have USB controller. The work to renew firmware is very simple. But I think you can renew from I2c interface your firmware in ES9008S IC on the Buffallo DAC.

I believe the firmware you are referring to is not in the ES9008 chip, but rather in the micro-controller section of the demo board. We do not use ESS's firmware in the Buffalo.