ESS Sabre Reference DAC (8-channel)

Re: Re: Re: Dustin on the radio through Sabre, of course

hirez69 said:

I would like to know some tecnical details about your equipment list:

CD/SACD Player: could you provide the mod. scheme to obtain DSD output?
DAC Board: what are the EVB capacitors replaced with metal film caps? what are the the metal film caps used? Which Crystek crystal have you used? as has been connected and powered? Thanks

hirez69

I don't know if Dustin is still following the forum, he could answer your questions better than I could. I only got a demo of the Sabre8 prototype board, so we didn't get into the specifics that your are asking about.

As far as powering the prototype board, they had a small power supply and jumpered it to the board. Any extra regulation (if any) can be seen on the ESS prototype schematic.

I will be going back to ESS HQ at the end of the month to get a demo of the Sabre32 and A/B compare my Buffalo/IVY system to the Sabre8. They've not had the pleasure of hearing a Buffalo yet. I'll ask them your questions then.

RossG

Re: Re: Re: Re: Dustin on the radio through Sabre, of course

krgaunt said:

I will be going back to ESS HQ at the end of the month to get a demo of the Sabre32 and A/B compare my Buffalo/IVY system to the Sabre8. They've not had the pleasure of hearing a Buffalo yet. I'll ask them your questions then.

RossG

I think they have. Maybe not the person you spoke to, but ESS has at least one Buffalo.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Dustin on the radio through Sabre, of course

BrianDonegan said:

I think they have. Maybe not the person you spoke to, but ESS has at least one Buffalo.

I've heard that Dustin in Canada has a Buffalo, that's the rumor anyway. The ESS Pres. in Fremont CA, Bob Blair, said he hasn't heard it yet. Just for fun, I was thinking of bringing my Sympatico over too. They are using a Harmon Kardon power amp, nothing fancy, so the Sympatico should sound at least as good.

I have a question about the recent modifications on the Buffalo that I'll ask in the other forum.

RossG

USB for the dummies

A new project with XO on board!!

Please include USB onboard in this new project for the Dummies like me :) that are now fighting with DAC components, Filterboards etc etc to feed each driver. (and make it balanced if youre at it :D ).

Cheers

Peter

p.s. Bob... did you receive the parts??

This is great news! It means I can dedicate the DSP to room correction duties and let the DAC do the basic LPF / HPF stuff.

The volume control works so well on the Sabre that I'm sure the new XO stuff will be well implemented too.

@Russ / Brian - If / when you do start on a Sabre32 board, could you possibly make the eight DAC outputs and all digital inputs accessible? (This would still allow the outputs to be jumpered for the highest quality in stereo.)

I don't know why I put off building this amp for the last few months. It's VERY satisfying to listen to! Every song sounds better, and movies sound so realistic (only 2.1 atm).

I can confirm similar things to what others have said about the Sabre - it does have a long decay time. Maybe it's simply because everything is so well separated now, but individual sounds seem to "hang in the air" for much longer and I can easily discern parts of songs which I never heard before.

The imaging is also spot-on. I can hear the almost "3D" type sound which people described on other systems, but I never quite understood it...

eg. in certain songs, parts of the soundstage sit ABOVE the speakers! This is not simply a phasing thing or "Q-Sound", as I never heard this previously. I also did an A/B test with my old amp, and I could hardly hear the same effect at all. This must have a lot to do with the extreme linearity of the Sabre.

The best thing of all though is the overall balance... Pretty much every song sounds "right" now. The music goes right to the very edge of the dynamics and the brighter parts of songs without going overboard. It's also not fatiguing to listen to and even manages to tighten up the subwoofer response.

I've also have the RevC amps to thank for the dynamics and clarity that I've missed while the amps were sitting on the shelf (waiting for me to drill the new heatsinks.) I'm constantly amazed at how much power these little chips put out. I've never heard any distortion at higher volumes either (unlike every branded amp I've owned previously - we're not exactly talking "audiophile" amps here though.)

OzOnE.