ESS Sabre Reference DAC (8-channel)

Disabled Account
Joined 2005
NeoY2k said:

Yes, I'll put a stereo IV for people wanting stereo, and a 8ch I/V for people wanting 8ch - won't cost me much time to copy/paste it 4 times and connect +VCC and - VCC xD

"PSU" board is just regulators, in fact, just improved ones - a regulator, a transistor, somes resistors and caps.

You'll have to provideat least +1.2 and +3.3 power rails - say hello to Russ's power supplies ;) . If separate regulators are not enough for you, well, you can buy 3 "2 voltages" power supplies.

Hi,

I sent an e-mail to you, although I will be leaving by the end of the week I have a friend that is going to closely watch the threard for your boards, I hope to get one from the Buffalos too.

fmak said:

I understand this. However, fc of 192k seems very high and 50k to 96k is more normal with hifi equipment.

Your website seems to say that there are pads for adding filtering. Is this right?

The corner frequency is easy enough to adjust, but I found the Fc I am using now to be very effective. Also, it keep the phase shift minimal.

This is not a value I arrived at to emulate commercial gear. It is what I found to sound great. ;)

Cheers!
Russ

Not everyone has the datasheet ;)
If peufeu wouldn't have sent it to me I would never had it...

I called ESS who said they were sending it to the next day - guess what, I called many times, but never received it.

So yes, you can control each channel.
Please note it's digital control - you'll have to use i2c.

BrianDonegan said:
You should know this is a datasheet that ESS only wants distributed with a signed NDA (non-disclosure agreement). Whether or not you agree with that policy, by posting links to the datasheet without permission, you are more likely to 'turn off the tap' of information being provided here by ESS insiders.

Isn't this a DIY forum? If we can't access the data sheets, I'm more than a little perturbed... How else are we supposed to design schematics or boards based on this chip? Without the data sheet - it's meaningless to me. And there's no doubt you guys (TPA) won't be able to release the data sheet or your Sabre schematics on your website either. At some point, I think we need to seriously question whether this discussion should be moved out of DIY.

ezkcdude said:
And there's no doubt you guys (TPA) won't be able to release the data sheet or your Sabre schematics on your website either.

Evan,

There is no legal hurdle to publishing the schematic. I checked that. ;)

As to the datasheet It can be had by anyone, you just have to jump through some hoops.

I do agree ESS should not require an NDA to get it. Seems a bit silly to me. Especially since for a month or more it was publicly available.

Cheers!
Russ

One pretty cool thing about it being in a DIY thread, is that nearly all of the critical data in the datasheet is actually right here in the thread. Look at the code I posted for a lot of clues. There is nothing illegal or shady about posting those things.

A lot of those details would not have come to light so soon without a thread like this. So while I think ESS is a bit strange for not making the DS public, I applaud Dustin for being to helpful to us.

Also, just as a point of fact, not all DIY people will need, or be interested in the datasheet. Of course many will.

Cheers!
Russ

Russ White said:
One pretty cool thing about it being in a DIY thread, is that nearly all of the critical data in the datasheet is actually right here in the thread. Look at the code I posted for a lot of clues. There is nothing illegal or shady about posting those things.

If you're able to disclose schematics and code, what is it that the NDA actually protects?

ezkcdude said:

If you're able to disclose schematics and code, what is it that the NDA actually protects?

I have no idea what it is exactly they are keeping close to the vest, except perhaps the performance specs and such. Which is why I think it's silly. My guess is they view the data sheet as preliminary data (as it is marked) and may want to revise it before it is public. I just don't know. Basically its in a beta state, as many who have seen will agree.

I have been in close contact with Dustin, so I know I am doing nothing wrong when I post what I do, if he wanted it gone I would know. Also nothing I have signed puts me in a position where I cannot share the things I have shared so far. I am very careful about that sort of thing. :)

I think soon you will see the entire data sheet public (and hopefully corrected). Perhaps it is undergoing revision.

Cheers!
Russ