ESS Sabre Reference DAC (8-channel) - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th February 2008, 07:31 PM   #21
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally posted by borisov57
All dac measures about the same, best SNR has PCM1794 with active I/V and lowest THD AD1955, but I am at limit of my measuring analog to digital converter.
Not really. Did you measure linearity? Did you measure settling time? Did you measure jitter rejection?

Anyway, I talked to Dustin on the phone earlier and I have a bit more info: external clock can be used after all, the filter shown on the diagram on the outputs is not switched capacitor but a programmable notch filter, the jitter filter has bandwidth < 0.1 Hz, and the digital filter is 256 tap FIR.
Old 13th February 2008, 07:38 PM   #22
diyAudio Member

Is there a PDF somewhere that shows the pinout of the chip? Can't seem to find one.
Old 13th February 2008, 08:16 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

Pinout of which chip?
Old 13th February 2008, 08:40 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

This new DAC.
Old 13th February 2008, 09:32 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Hi DustFor99,

Please consider me for an eval board.

I currently have: AD1955, PCM1798, WM8740, TDA1543 (Active I/V) and the DAC in PCM2707 for comparison.

My Audio System consists of various SS amps, Tube Amps, SS pre-amps and Tube Pres. Horn, Electrostatic, Full-range and "conventional" speakers.

Thanks

Andrew
Old 14th February 2008, 08:23 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

Hi abzug,

SNR results for all DACs were from 116.7 to 118.1 dB and THD 2V RMS into about 500 Ohms were between 0.0004 to 0.0009%.
Did you measure jitter rejection?

Best regards
Old 14th February 2008, 08:53 AM   #27
Account Disabled

What frequency did you measure at? THD generally increases when you get above 10 K, and a lot. But I don't see this for this DAC.

Looking at detailed measurements PDF sent to me by ESS, claiming measured by a third party, THD+N vs jitter starts at least 15 dB better than top DACs from the two usual suspects, to 45 dB better, depending on jitter frequencies. It's also flat, unlike the other two DACs which show increasing significantly with frequency. Also, intermodulation is lower and phase response better, and the crosstalk is 15-20 dB lower. For me the best feature in this DAC is the digital filter.
Old 14th February 2008, 09:38 AM   #28
diyAudio Member

Yes, measured figures for sabre dac looks very impressive, that is why I would love to try it. My result for THD are for 1 kHz, 2V RMS driving 500E input impedance AD converter. Bandwidth is 20 kHz.
Old 14th February 2008, 12:07 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Quote:
[i]PDF sent to me by ESS, claiming measured by a third party[/B]

Anyway you can post that PDF up?
Old 14th February 2008, 12:59 PM   #30
Account Disabled

I don't know if I have permission to post the datasheet, but on the comparisons it says I can forward them to other people interested, so if you PM me I'll email it back. However, I think it was mentioned in this thread they intend to post more data on the web anyway.

Hide this!Advertise here!