ESS Sabre Reference DAC (8-channel)

I have some of the Buffalo prototype boards available which have a couple of silk screen flaws (nothing serious).

Once we have it thoroughly tested we will make those available at a reduced price since they are not perfect. :) Functionally they will be the same as production boards. We also will need to order more chips as we are about out of the ones we ordered.

If you just want a board without a chip let me know. I could do that pretty quickly.

Cheers!
Russ

4real said:
I just contacted the Dutch distributor of ESS, and he told me that I could only buy in quantities of +100K :bigeyes:

I only want one or two :bawling:

Here is the responce I got:

"Hi Dustin,

I never heard from our Dutch distributor. They’ve been inactive as far as I can remember. I think they are talking about DVD minimum quantity from past experience.

You can direct this guy to Line1 Sales in UK, listed on our website or contact Paul Grand, Paul Grand [pag@lineonesales.co.uk]."

Thanks

Dustin

Sabre chips and boards for DAC

As suggested by peufeu I switch from National Instruments Workbench to Altium Designer. So it will take me a bit more time.

Board design should be done within 1 week
Then I'll order the Sabre, the boards, and all other components required. They'll ship within 15 days, then I'll do the soldering job and dispatch everything.

Please tell me how many boards you'd like and how many Sabre chips you'd like.
Please also tell me if you plan to do a stereo or 8ch version (explainations below).

The board will have the Sabre on it, with a regulator for each power rail (probably low drop).

There will also be 10 ch of IV based on THS4131 on it.
You'll have to tell me how many channels you'd like soldered on it.

8 IV will be connected to the 8 outputs with corresponding resistor values, and 2 others with resistor values for the stereo mode of the SABRE. I'll try to put jumpers to easily switch from 8ch to 2ch mode, however, if not possible, there will be jumpers to disconnect the 8 ch and you'll have to wrap connection to the 2 IV.
Each IV will have it's own regulators for both positive and negative rails. Low drop of course to avoid power waste.
I'll try to put unbalancing opamps for the 2ch IV if there's room left.

There will be a separate board for the XO with its "Tent labs like" shunt regulator that will plug upon the Sabre to keep traces as short as possible and lower EMI and associated mess, and allow you to use something else if you want. The XO will not be soldered on it - pick the one you want and solder it.

Also I won't solder jumpers and connectors, but any of you should do that easily.

Don't hesitate to tell other people about it, the more units we buy, the less it costs.

Nicolas

Jkeny: For 2 channels, will probably be around 150$ without the XO.

Yeah, it's more expensive that Russ White's stuff... but it's more meant for testing than direct use. Also, it has IV onboard.

Spartacus, I do so because at least I need these channels ^^. So probably PCB waste, but the basic idea was to make a board for my needs - I just offer to share the design, and provide some facilities for people wanting it.
Also, the chip used works in fully differential.

Ivan Petrov: Now you have an idea of the price. Of course if you want to give me more, you're welcome :)

Peufeu: In the end, you want one?

I'll not set a wiki: people ask me here or by email, and I'll put a sheet on my website with who wants what.

Hi Dustin

Is it possible to get the PWM or DSD coded signals out of the chip?

By doing that you/we can get an power amplifier output with 4 additional transistors.
I have a design using Lovoltech LU1014D JFET's with JFET regulated onboard power. 25 Watt with these JFET's into 8 ohm and 50 Watt into 4 ohm with only 4 JFET's in addition to your chip...

Have been planning to use the Cirrus CS44800 http://www.cirrus.com/en/products/pro/detail/P1070.html
,but if it is possible to get PWM or DSD coded signals out of the ESS Sabre chip :angel:

Attached photo of the JFET amplifier:

Attachments

• kortene.jpg
    kortene.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 1,458
Some more information on the JFET amp.
Both operational as class A and PWM amp.
JFET regulator with virtual capasitor of 20 Farad...

PCU pcb wiyh "Silicium Carbide" rectifiers (6 in parallell),
and 6 secondarys.

AC in pcb with auto 115/230 VAC selection,
slow start, DC trap, filter and optocoupled remote
power on/off, and ready for temperature fuses in the primary.

Raymond

Attachments

• power3.jpg
    power3.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 1,374