Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

ESS Sabre Reference DAC (8-channel)
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th August 2017, 02:22 PM   #2581
francolargo is offline francolargo  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlevoice View Post
And previously I was told from a probably reasonably reliable source that the ES9018 due to its sampling structure should generate some listening fatique over time, i.e. when listening for longer periods of time ...
Greetings Jesper,

Certainly, listing 'fatigue' is a matter of opinion; it can have multiple causes and be perceived differently in our various systems and by different people. The 9018 chip's (re)sampling behavior can be controlled (as well as the output filtration) via I2C. I haven't read the 9038 data sheet, but it seems there are even more control options programmed into it. My conclusion is that it is not wise to accept a blanket comparison statement about fatigue without direct testing using various control options. ...and by the way, one advantage to having older ears is that DAC 'fatigue' seems less an issue!
Old 9th August 2017, 05:32 PM   #2582
gentlevoice is offline gentlevoice  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Hi & greetings to you as well ;-)

... Hmmm ... although I basically agree with what you are saying here the person who told me about this was one of the (main) designers of one of the very well reviewed/perceived and utterly expensive DACs based on the ES9018.

On the other hand, having designed DACs myself and worked with the intricacies involved in really tuning such a circuit, my experience is that even small changes may have quite a say in how a DAC is perceived subjectively. Thus actually saying "something" about how the DAC itself (i.e. the IC) sounds can be quite challenging IMHO ... That said it is my guess, and intuitive understanding, that if there is something in a circuitry (whichever it is) that causes listening fatique (to normal & sensitive persons) such a "trait" may not be easy to work around software-wise or otherwise - and might be perceived by more people ... Which is the reason for my question ...

Well, just my thoughts on this ...

Quote:
and by the way, one advantage to having older ears is that DAC 'fatigue' seems less an issue!
... smiling at your comment here ...

Cheers,

Jesper
Old 6th September 2017, 05:35 PM   #2583
carlmart is offline carlmart  Brazil
diyAudio Member

Even if I already opened a thread about this Sabre chip, I wonder if anyone here has seen or tried this eBay kit:

ES9038PRO Ulitmate DSD DAC LCD Display Successor of ES9028 DAC,Amanero/XMOS USB | eBay

Know nothing about this DAC chip, but tome serious DAC boxes are now carrying it.
Old 14th October 2017, 05:02 PM   #2584
Russ White is offline Russ White  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi @Bunpei,

I designed and tested a new output stage called "Mercury" that easily handles the 9038 current. You can read a bit about it here:

Introducing the Buffalo III-SE-Pro 9028/9038

It will get it's own thread soon.

Cheers!
Russ
Old 15th October 2017, 04:22 PM   #2585
Bunpei is offline Bunpei  Japan
diyAudio Member

Hi, Russ!

It's really great!
I always respect your significant contribution to our community.

Bunpei
Old 15th October 2017, 06:12 PM   #2586
cu6apum is offline cu6apum  Russian Federation
diyAudio Member

Guys!! Datasheet, anybody?! I feel far behind.
Thanks!

ESS Sabre Reference DAC (8-channel)Hide this!Advertise here!