ESS Sabre Reference DAC (8-channel) - Page 203 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd January 2013, 03:10 PM   #2021
Bunpei is offline Bunpei  Japan
diyAudio Member

Hi, Coris,

Have you tried a synchronous master clocking for ES9018?
Have you obtained ES9018 datasheet and tried various parameter settings via I2C?
How many ES9018 chips have you broken and replaced them?
Can you show a wave shape photo of your 125 MHz clock?

Bunpei
Old 22nd January 2013, 04:09 PM   #2022
Account disabled at member's request

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunpei View Post
More than fifty ES9018-based DIY DAC users in Japan are enjoying a stable lock at "lowest" by applying synchronous MCLKs of 90.3168/98.304 MHz for 44.1/48 kHz I2S sources.
"lowest" are not an indicator for either "best" fidelity or "most" error free internal data transmission..

Can you please explain why "lowest" are as important as you emphasis ?
Old 22nd January 2013, 06:39 PM   #2023
Coris is offline Coris  Norway
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Hi, Coris,

Have you tried a synchronous master clocking for ES9018?
Have you obtained ES9018 datasheet and tried various parameter settings via I2C?
How many ES9018 chips have you broken and replaced them?
Can you show a wave shape photo of your 125 MHz clock?

Bunpei
Hi Bunpei

Answers:
1. No. I will do it, maybe soon...
2. Yes, I have the data sheet of ESS9018. I had not yet got in to the I2C world. Of course is on the list. In the last time I have been working on completely diffident priorities. Time is not my best friend...
3. NONE! My original DAC chip (the same I`ve used all the time for my experiences) is still working just wonderful overclocked for months now. As I said many times before, the chip did not even get warmer at all than usually. Why? Ask Dustin...
4. I think it is already published a such picture of 125Mhz clock (or another frequency above 100Mhz) somewhere in the threads I`ve wrote in. It is a very nice sinus anyway. I think to do some more and detailed measurements, and I will come with some more infos and waves snap shots in near future...
Old 22nd January 2013, 10:21 PM   #2024
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayCtech View Post
"lowest" are not an indicator for either "best" fidelity or "most" error free internal data transmission..

Can you please explain why "lowest" are as important as you emphasis ?
Oh, I'm sorry that my description was ambiguous. The "lowest" is not for a sound quality but for a "DPLL Bandwidth" parameter setting.
Old 22nd January 2013, 11:16 PM   #2025
diyAudio Member

Dear Coris,

I appreciated your honest and immediate answers very much.

I'd like to recommend you try a synchronous master clocking before you claim an overclocking of out of manufacturer's guarantee manner.
To tell the truth, I have broken three ES9018 chips in my experiments for AVCC over voltage and large capacitance decoupling. I felt really bad and spent much time to recover the boards by replacing the broken chips. Can you imagine such situation? This experience made me realized that I should never recommend such a risky experiment to others even if it looks safe initially.
You may say "My case is safe." Are you ready for taking care of any unexpected malfunction that may happen to those who follow your claim?

I hope you will understand well what I wanted to say to you.

By the way, through my need for repairing broken boards, I could establish a very easy way of replacing the DAC chip on board.

Bunpei
Old 22nd January 2013, 11:30 PM   #2026
glt is offline glt  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Dear Coris,

To tell the truth, I have broken three ES9018 chips in my experiments for AVCC over voltage and large capacitance decoupling. ...
Bunpei
Hi Bunpei, what are the limits on AVCC voltage and large capacitor decoupling?
Old 23rd January 2013, 05:54 AM   #2027
roender is offline roender  Romania
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coris View Post
... the chip did not even get warmer at all than usually. Why? Ask Dustin...
Hi Coris,

That's very interesting!
Did you measure the current consumption for AVCC, VDD (1.2V) and 3.3V when the chip is overclocked?
From my past experience with overclocking electronics the power consumption and dissipation will goes up not down.
IMHO, if the currents are lower than in non overclocked mode than I presume some internal DAC blocks are not functioning correctly or not at all.

Kind regards,
Mihai
Old 23rd January 2013, 06:37 AM   #2028
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Dear Coris,

I appreciated your honest and immediate answers very much.

I'd like to recommend you try a synchronous master clocking before you claim an overclocking of out of manufacturer's guarantee manner.
To tell the truth, I have broken three ES9018 chips in my experiments for AVCC over voltage and large capacitance decoupling. I felt really bad and spent much time to recover the boards by replacing the broken chips. Can you imagine such situation? This experience made me realized that I should never recommend such a risky experiment to others even if it looks safe initially.
You may say "My case is safe." Are you ready for taking care of any unexpected malfunction that may happen to those who follow your claim?

I hope you will understand well what I wanted to say to you.

By the way, through my need for repairing broken boards, I could establish a very easy way of replacing the DAC chip on board.

Bunpei
Hi Bunpei
Sorry for your problems and lot of work for replacing the destroyed chips.
I think I must clarify one more time something: What I`ve wrote here about those my experiments results (overclocking and so on) were not meant as a recommendation about how have to be done to have the best results with this ESS9018. I have done some experiments, I have found something, I had/have some results, and I just shared all those here in those dedicated threads. There is about informations here. If one may follow and practice with those informations, try to verify it, try to get some or better results, it is of course on ones own risk.
AVCC over voltage is safe when is do it right. TPA sell theirs Buffalo with over voltage on AVCC and they have for sure success with that DAC design. It came out from some informations, discussions (Dustin) on this forum that an over voltage on AVCC it may be safe with good results. That it were not an recommendation about how have to be done, but an information. Everybody take his own risk to try this or not... I took that risk too, and succeed...
I run my DAC with 3,6V on AVCC for quite long time and nothing wrong with that, only better results. The same about large capacities on decoupling. This can definitely not destroy the DAC chip, only maybe the regulators if is done it wrong...
I just remember that you were gratefully to me in one earlier post for the information I came with here about large decoupling capacities on ESS9018, when you got better result practicing with this information. You say now that this it were destroyed your chips... I have a little problem to understand this.

As a conclusion, I think maybe I have to hold for my self what about my experiments and the results I get... Maybe I wrong understood the principle/idea with this forum...
Old 23rd January 2013, 06:46 AM   #2029
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roender View Post
Hi Coris,

That's very interesting!
Did you measure the current consumption for AVCC, VDD (1.2V) and 3.3V when the chip is overclocked?
From my past experience with overclocking electronics the power consumption and dissipation will goes up not down.
IMHO, if the currents are lower than in non overclocked mode than I presume some internal DAC blocks are not functioning correctly or not at all.

Kind regards,
Mihai
Buna Mihai

I do not say that the power consummation or dissipation get down, only that dissipation do not get up to overheat that chip... So long that this functioning were OK for me, I did not researched very much to find out why is like this. I will do it ...
I understand that you may presume that the DAC is not functioning right, and some blocks inside are stop working, but then why the resulting sound is better?
Old 23rd January 2013, 06:49 AM   #2030
roender is offline roender  Romania
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coris View Post
Buna Mihai

I do not say that the power consummation or dissipation get down, only that dissipation do not get up to overheat that chip... So long that this functioning were OK for me, I did not researched very much to find out why is like this. I will do it ...
I understand that you may presume that the DAC is not functioning right, and some blocks inside are stop working, but then why the resulting sound is better?
Maybe because ASRC is powered down?

Hide this!Advertise here!