ESS Sabre Reference DAC (8-channel) - Page 196 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th December 2012, 11:44 AM   #1951
Account disabled at member's request

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolls View Post
Oscillator belongs to the dac, as near as possible. Better to slave the transport. I am looking for a way to slave my transport as well:
I use a lampizator modyfied Denon. it has several clocks, generated by a 27Mhz Quartz and a PLL chip. So I am in need of a 108Mhz Oscillator, which I have not seen yet.
Send a PM with your address and I will send you a 1ps jitter 108MHz oscillator.
Old 11th December 2012, 04:05 PM   #1952
diyAudio Member

Hey RayCtech ... just noticed your post and wondered if your website is up & running?

Greetings,

Jesper
Old 13th December 2012, 10:13 AM   #1953

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolls
Oscillator belongs to the dac, as near as possible. Better to slave the transport. I am looking for a way to slave my transport as well:
I use a lampizator modyfied Denon. it has several clocks, generated by a 27Mhz Quartz and a PLL chip. So I am in need of a 108Mhz Oscillator, which I have not seen yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayCtech View Post
Send a PM with your address and I will send you a 1ps jitter 108MHz oscillator.
@rolls did obviously not want / need the oscillator, but I got PM from others.
As I have a limited supply I send the requests I have received until now.

These oscillators are custom specified and custom built (like the 22.5792/24.576M, 90.3168/98.304M etc. I also had custom built) with all specifications improved...
Old 17th December 2012, 11:33 AM   #1954
oettle is offline oettle  Germany
diyAudio Member

Is there a datasheet available for the ES9018 ?
I don't mean this 2 page product bief.
Thanks
Old 17th December 2012, 12:27 PM   #1955
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

you have to email the distributors, but you dont need to sign any NDA anymore
Old 20th December 2012, 11:01 PM   #1956

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayCtech View Post
@rolls did obviously not want / need the oscillator, but I got PM from others.
As I have a limited supply I send the requests I have received until now.

These oscillators are custom specified and custom built (like the 22.5792/24.576M, 90.3168/98.304M etc. I also had custom built) with all specifications improved...
So far none of the requesters wanted the oscillators..
Maybe they believed this was a sales campaign
However I saved the stamps on some letters..
Old 21st December 2012, 05:00 AM   #1957
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

I would love to try the 90.3168/98.304M, are they 3.3V?
Old 21st December 2012, 01:03 PM   #1958
Bunpei is offline Bunpei  Japan
diyAudio Member

Default Timing control within ES9018

I believe many of DIY ES9018 users have experienced a positive effect of "synchronous master clocking" scheme on resultant sound quality. I use the term, "synchronous master clocking" as "providing a master clock which is synchronous to BCLK of I2S or DSDCLK of DSD, of which frequencies are x 256, x 512, x 1024, x 2048 of fs.

I have thought why the method is better than an asynchronous master clocking for a long time. I'd like to explain my considerations on a series of posts and to request your frank comments.

My basic position is a strong supporter of ES9018 DAC architecture that performs the best, I believe, among commercial DAC chips easily available in the market.

First, here are my FAQs, questions and answers.

<FAQ>
Q1. Is there any explicit register setting that switches a clocking from "asynchronous" to "synchronous"?
A1. No. ES9018 does not care whether its master clock is synchronous or asynchronous.

Q2. What does "DPLL" in ES9018 mean?
A2. No common users exactly know any true meaning of the term "DPLL".

Q3. Is there any explicit register setting that turn DPLL OFF?
A3. No. DPLL is always ON even if a synchronous master clock is provided.

Q4. What does "Jitter Reduction" functionality in ES9018 mean?
A4. No common users exactly know any true meaning of the term "Jitter Reduction" neither.

Q5. Does ES9018 have any internal built-in analog or digital oscillators?
A5. Its answer might be "No".
Old 21st December 2012, 01:52 PM   #1959

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunpei View Post
I believe many of DIY ES9018 users have experienced a positive effect of "synchronous master clocking" scheme on resultant sound quality. I use the term, "synchronous master clocking" as "providing a master clock which is synchronous to BCLK of I2S or DSDCLK of DSD, of which frequencies are x 256, x 512, x 1024, x 2048 of fs.
I have for some time fiddled with a dual mono ES9018 with synchronous clocking at 22.5792MHz and 24.567MHz...

With the custom setup and register programming I have implemented there are 0 - zero dropouts or any of the problems I have registered most / many DIY setups have playing PCM 44.1k/16bit to 384k/32bit, DSD64 and DSD128, and SPDIF up to 192k/24bit.
Also DSD256 and DSD512 should work with these "low" master clock frequencies, but I have not tested.

The clocks will soon be changed to 90.3168MHz and 98.304MHz, but there have been quite some fun to get flawless performance with the 22.5792MHz and 24.567MHz clocks.

I have also compared PCM with DSD (identical sources) and must thus demystify the rumors "an unverified account or explanation of events circulating from person to person and pertaining to an object, event, or issue in public concern" stating that DSD plays better than PCM.
These rumors may be true when a 16 or 24bit PCM source are compared to DSD using a ES9018 DAC, but untrue when a 32bit PCM source are compared to DSD on a ES9018 DAC. For DACs with 24 or 16bit limitations (processing) the results may also favor PCM with 24 and 16bit PCM sources.

And - yes DSD sounds (much) better than a 16 or 24bit PCM source on the ES9018 - DSD even better than a original DXD 352.8k/24bit master. But a 32bit PCM source (without dither and "advanced" filtering) beats DSD with a good margin.

The test environment have not been using my Linux based music server, but a MacBook Pro (quad core i7, 16GB RAM, SSD) with OSX 10.8.2 and Audirvana Plus 1.4.1 - as this have only been a "debug" setup to optimize the USB adapter and DAC functions...

Quote:
Audirvana Plus rev. 1.4.1 debug information:
running on Mac OS X 10.8.2

iTunes settings:
Completely deactivate iTunes playback: on
iTunes volume control: off
iTunes play position control: off

Audio settings:
Use Max I/O buffersize: off
Max Mem for audio buffers: 10240MB
Max Sample rate limit: None
Sample rate switching latency: None

Direct Mode audio path

Currently playing in Integer Mode:
Device: 2ch Non-mixable linear PCM Interleaved 32bits little endian Signed Integer aligned low in 32bit, 8 bytes per frame @352.8kHz

Active Sample Rate: 352.8kHz
Hog Mode is on
Devices found : 2

Preferred device: USB 2.0 A r0.3 Model UID:USB 2.0 A r0.3 UID:AppleUSBAudioEngine:Oblivion:USB 2.0 A r0.3
OSX 10.8.2 are "tweaked" by removing some kexts that slowed the overall performance etc..
Total CPU load when playing 352.8k/32bit or DSD128 are thus below 1%....

Last edited by RayCtech; 21st December 2012 at 02:08 PM.
Old 21st December 2012, 02:57 PM   #1960

Forgott to mention that AMT headphones was used for the fidelity evaluations.
100% directly coupled to the ES9018 DAC chips.
The headphones have a selectable impedance 2.75 ohm, 5.5 ohm and 22 ohm.

Hide this!Advertise here!