ESS Sabre Reference DAC (8-channel) - Page 159 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th December 2010, 01:07 AM   #1581
Bunpei is online now Bunpei  Japan
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
have you seen my email to you?
Hi, gusp! I'm sorry for my late reply. Please read my PM to you.
Old 7th December 2010, 12:37 PM   #1582
Bunpei is online now Bunpei  Japan
diyAudio Member

Default A comments of Sabre32 architecture

How do you feel about this bitter comment on our Sabre32 DAC?

What about 32 bit DACs

(Doubtless, their DAC is high-end enough. I listened Diamond Platinum IV-DAC with USB2 interface last weekend. It played 352.8 kHz/24 bit sources without any problems.)
Old 7th December 2010, 01:09 PM   #1583
Account disabled at member's request

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunpei View Post
How do you feel about this bitter comment on our Sabre32 DAC?

What about 32 bit DACs

(Doubtless, their DAC is high-end enough. I listened Diamond Platinum IV-DAC with USB2 interface last weekend. It played 352.8 kHz/24 bit sources without any problems.)
It is quite obvious that they have not investigated the Sabre32 in the depth as the most of their statements are far from correct

I believe the strengths of the Sabre32 are their weakness and vice versa...
Old 7th December 2010, 01:11 PM   #1584
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

I think its a desperate post by desperate people that are losing customers to people buying sabre dacs. only people that are not confident enough in their own product would bother to publish such made up nonsense to discredit another company. they rely on people not having the technical savvy to look up the white paper themselves for the whole story, but instead read these totally out of context crazy talk. I guess they forget or do not know that in fact the sabre is many chips in parallel.

the MSB gear is nice, I have heard a few as my friend is a rep for them here in brissie, but the price..... so high they have to string superlatives together to name things as diamond platinum IV DAC, what are they going to call the next upgrade? what is more valuable than these 2 materials?

lame duck.....
Old 7th December 2010, 01:21 PM   #1585
Account disabled at member's request

Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
I think its a desperate post by desperate people that are losing customers to people buying sabre dacs. only people that are not confident enough in their own product would bother to publish such made up nonsense to discredit another company. they rely on people not having the technical savvy to look up the white paper themselves for the whole story, but instead read these totally out of context crazy talk. I guess they forget or do not know that in fact the sabre is many chips in parallel.

the MSB gear is nice, I have heard a few as my friend is a rep for them here in brissie, but the price..... so high they have to string superlatives together to name things as diamond platinum IV DAC, what are they going to call the next upgrade? what is more valuable than these 2 materials?

lame duck.....
Almost everything they have written are wrong and missleading...
Even the whitepaper they have linked to are for the old Sabre DACs like the ES9006 and ES9008, and are NOT representative for the Sabre32...
Old 7th December 2010, 01:29 PM   #1586
diyAudio Member

aha, I didnt bother to follow the link they included, thats actually quite funny!! I wonder if they will be hearing from ESS lawyers, especially as they even use the sabre32 logo on the webpage. really not very well thought through, the whole thing, thats why it seems so desperate

Last edited by qusp; 7th December 2010 at 01:34 PM.
Old 7th December 2010, 03:51 PM   #1587
elecon is offline elecon  Japan
diyAudio Member

I borrowed the Fidelix Caprice (the first Japanese made DAC using the SABRE 9018) from Fidelix proprietor Nakagawa-san last weekend and brought it to a wealthy friend's million dollar/euro system which in fact sound as good or better than the price tag suggest (usually not the case). Multiple speaker systems: (1) Wilson Audio X-1 (Grand Slam), (2) an extremely elaborate & grande seven-way multi-amped system based around JBL, Electrovoice, ATR etc drivers, and, (3) a string instrument-bodied stacked array speaker system. This friend also has top of the line dCs equipment and a lot of professional gear as well. Pre/power amps are top of the line FM Acoustic, Cello, Mark Levinson etc. He also has an enviable music collection on vinyl, CD, SACD, as well as computer files. We played both CD and computer audio files (WAV) (Macbok Pro with M2Tech Evo run from Lithium Battery.) We were three audiophiles/audio professionals, including the host. We bypassed the preamp/volume section of the Caprice and played a variety of tracks including classical, jazz, and popular music. Although we did not attempt a comparison of other DACs, including alternative DACs with SABRE 9018, we got conclusive results that the Fidelix Caprice with SABRE 9018 used as a pure DAC was able to bringing this super high end system to its full potential. This is despite that the Fidelix Caprice sells for only (ca.) US$1900 in Japan. I do not write this to promote the Fidelix Caprice in particular (it is currently only made for Japanese market spec), but rather to report the potential of the SABRE 9018 in an optimal application.

Last edited by elecon; 7th December 2010 at 04:12 PM.
Old 7th December 2010, 04:20 PM   #1588
diyAudio Member

someone ask the msbtech guys about differential nonlinearity , how it compares to sabre, and why don't they feel the need to publish it.

Last edited by tritosine; 7th December 2010 at 04:22 PM.
Old 7th December 2010, 06:30 PM   #1589
diyAudio Member

looks like they would simply quote the 9006 spec
Old 7th December 2010, 11:14 PM   #1590
diyAudio Member

Came across the Sabre32 bash on the MSB site a few months back when it was brought up in another forum. My conclusion was they are either:

A. Intentianally trying to mislead people about the DAC technology they dont really know anything of (except what was decided to be put into the white paper) Hoenstly, do you think ESS would really spill all the details in the whitepaper?

or

B. They have no idea what they are talking about.

Bottom line is MSB makes the claim that noise shapeing is no good (for DAC's). However dig a bit further on their website and see how they make ADC's..

Either way, no point arguing, its just "funny" to me.

Dustin

Hide this!Advertise here!