Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

ESS Sabre Reference DAC (8-channel)
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th February 2009, 08:58 PM   #1291
Studley is offline Studley  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Placid

Guys
you have mentioned the Counterpoint is getting near. Any news on the Placid?

Ian
Old 12th February 2009, 09:00 PM   #1292
Russ White is offline Russ White  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Russ White
Default Re: Placid

Quote:
Originally posted by Studley
Guys
you have mentioned the Counterpoint is getting near. Any news on the Placid?

Ian

Placid is undergoing redesign to make it more user friendly.

Until then, LCBPS is actually a great choice for counterpoint (assuming I can get past this turn off issue).

Cheers!
Russ
Old 12th February 2009, 09:22 PM   #1293
rab is offline rab  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Es9018

Quote:
Originally posted by dusfor99

Hi Peter,

The bit lenght for the coefficients is 32, the inter MAC unit is 64 bits. Each of the 8 channels can have its own unique coefficients. ThIs is ideal for making an active Xover that will not have an phase problems. (well other than the speakers phase responce itself). We are almost done with a new GUI that can be used if you have a demo board that actaully has a graphical filter builder built into it. Soon..

Dustin
Hi Dustin,

How long is the FIR filter (or is it IIR filter?)

Where can I download a product datasheet of this new chip with all the details for design. Or how can I get it or sign to get it.
Is also data of the new ad converter available?

Some time ago I did sent an email to the dutch/belgium representative but did not get an answer yet. Someone told me they are not very active. I do not know if this is true, but anyhow I did not get an answer.

Ronald
Old 17th February 2009, 01:22 PM   #1294
Algar_emi is offline Algar_emi  Canada
diyAudio Member

Just completed most of the support PCB for my Buffalo. One LCDPS for the digital supplies, two LCBPS (my own PCB and parts choice) for the upcoming CounterPoint ver2, the digital input PCB with AES/EBU, True 75 ohms BNC and optical SPDIF using the TORX142L (192Khz speed support). The RCA is not mounted because I'll use the USB input card for the forth input into the CS8416 MUX.

There is also the small Simple Reg PCB for the Buffalo analog reference modification. The MUX is all assembled as well as the Buffalo. I just need to complete the USB card and wait for the Counterpoints.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg all support pcb_s.jpg (81.9 KB, 1277 views)
Old 17th February 2009, 05:37 PM   #1295
Giawa is offline Giawa  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
How long is the FIR filter (or is it IIR filter?)
In fast roll-off mode: The filter is a two stage FIR. The first stage is 512 taps (cosine symmetry). The second stage can be up to 28 taps (either sine or cosine symmetry).

In slow roll-off mode: The filter is now a single stage FIR with 64 taps (no symmetry required).

Quote:
Where can I download a product datasheet of this new chip with all the details for design. Or how can I get it or sign to get it.
You'll have to get in touch with marketing at ESS for a full data sheet. Alternatively, the new Sabre32 GUI help files contain all of the register definitions (if that's what you're looking for). An alpha version is available on the website. http://esstech.com/index.php?p=support_downloads
Old 17th February 2009, 06:10 PM   #1296
rossl is offline rossl  United States
diyAudio Member

Default GUI

Hi Giawa. I notice that you are from Kelowna.

Does that mean that we now have another source of insider information?

I downloaded the new GUI, but it looks like I can't play with the filter designer unless I have a new demo board attached.
Old 17th February 2009, 07:32 PM   #1297
Giawa is offline Giawa  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I downloaded the new GUI, but it looks like I can't play with the filter designer unless I have a new demo board attached.
Hi rossl, there's a new version posted that has the filter designer as a stand-alone application. You should now be able to use it without a demo board attached.

http://esstech.com/index.php?p=support_downloads

Quote:
Does that mean that we now have another source of insider information?
I don't know if 'insider information' is the right phrase
Old 17th February 2009, 10:46 PM   #1298
kevino is offline kevino  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

512 taps that isn't a huge amount of filtering potential. I wonder if there is even
any significant signal delay capability?
Old 18th February 2009, 11:12 AM   #1299
Ciu is offline Ciu  France
diyAudio Member

Default About Sabre Output

Hello

Does this schematics has any chance to work, using THAT1200, as a simple Balanced To Unbalanced converter ?

Thanks for any advice
R.C.
Attached Images
File Type: gif sabre_that1200.gif (14.5 KB, 2009 views)
Old 18th February 2009, 05:31 PM   #1300
Algar_emi is offline Algar_emi  Canada
diyAudio Member

Hi Russ. I assembled the Simple Reg modification PCB for the Buffalo and I'm testing it right now. In your latest schematic with notes, you mentioned that the Vref can be changed by changing the R3 value.

Reference to the enclosed schematic with my measurements results.

I can only get 2.8V at Vout, changing R3 cause small variation from 2.75 to 2.85, but that about it. All the other currents you recommended (R4 > 4ma, R6 > 1ma, R1 >4ma) are meet. The two leds reference source D1-D2 (green leds) is 3.9V. The way I see it, R2,R3 form a simple voltage divider, not loaded by the high input impedance of IC1, so the ratio of Vled X (R3/R2+R3) should fix the Vref value. I should be able to adjust R3 to get Vref 3.3V but I cannot. By the way I'm using the circuit with jumper (short) used for Re and Rf.

Any suggestions?

Is the value of 2.8V enough for the Vref value on the Buffalo PCB, or is it too low?

Thanks for any help you can provide.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg simple reg_with voltages.jpg (35.0 KB, 1959 views)

ESS Sabre Reference DAC (8-channel)Hide this!Advertise here!