ESS Sabre Reference DAC (8-channel) - Page 129 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th February 2009, 03:09 AM   #1281
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Russ White
Default Re: Buffalo - Level of Complexity

Quote:
Originally posted by GrahamH
I am just getting started into DIY audio and your DAC is just the component I would like to start with.
Hi Graham,

Many people with varying degrees of skill have completed finished DACs based on our modules.

Check out this thread for some more info:

Buffalo DAC (ESS Sabre 9008)

It is probably not the kit for an absolute beginner, but it is not very difficult either.

Cheers!
Russ
Old 11th February 2009, 05:00 AM   #1282
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: Buffalo - Level of Complexity

[QUOTE]Originally posted by GrahamH
[B]Russ,

I am just getting started into DIY audio and your DAC is just the component I would like to start with. I have little skill in electronics assembly and even less understanding, but want to start somewhere fun and interesting. Do you feel your Buffalo kit would be jumping into the deep end or could I reasonably start there?

Cheers,
Graham

[QUOTE][i

Twisted Pear kits are absolutely right for new comers; they are simple to assemble and connect. This assumes that you can solder properly.

Because Russ is prepared to asnwer questions clearly, this makes it easier to commission as well.
Old 11th February 2009, 06:23 AM   #1283
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Es9018

Quote:
Originally posted by dusfor99
Hi Cauhtemoc,

I can answer "some" questions with no problems, but there are some areas I am not allowed to go into. It never hurts to ask. So what are you curious about?

Dustin
I have heard rumours that the new chip is supposedly easier to use in hardware mode (i.e. standalone, or without a microprocessor). Is this true, and if so, exactly how is it easier to use? This question has been itching my mind for a while.
Old 11th February 2009, 09:57 AM   #1284
PHEONIX is offline PHEONIX  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default THD performance

Hello dusfor99

With ES9018 what is the THD at 10kHz is it -120dB like at 1KHz.

What is the PSRR of the the 3.3V analog supply with respect to the current ouput configuration.

Reagards.
Arthur
Old 11th February 2009, 12:27 PM   #1285
schro20 is offline schro20  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Es9018

Quote:
I can answer "some" questions with no problems
Dear Dustin,

I'd like to understand better the capabilities which are exposed by letting users set the filter characteristics. For example, is there enough flexibility to do a design which has a stereo signal coming in and splitting it for each channel into three (six outputs total) to drive active 3-way speakers? For a given channel how much flexibility is there in the filter. For example, how many taps does it have? What bit length the coefficients and what bit length for the internal arithmetic?

Peter
Old 11th February 2009, 06:18 PM   #1286
GrahamH is offline GrahamH  United States
diyAudio Member

Smile Re: Buffalo - Level of Complexity

fmak and Russ,

Thanks for the advice. I have been practicing my soldering and with the great support in this forum feel comfortable going for it. Since it seems that the revised Buffalo might still be a few days/weeks away, I am going to start with the IVY + LCBPS kits. Practice there and then move on to the Buffalo when it is ready.

Thanks again.

Graham
Old 12th February 2009, 01:21 AM   #1287
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Es9018

Quote:
Originally posted by Cauhtemoc

I have heard rumours that the new chip is supposedly easier to use in hardware mode (i.e. standalone, or without a microprocessor). Is this true, and if so, exactly how is it easier to use? This question has been itching my mind for a while.

Hi Cauhtemoc

THe chip will now autodetect if the input stream on data1 is SPDIF or not. If its not, it will try to see if its I2S or DSD. SO there is not need for a MCU to program it to get it into SPDIF mode.

Dustin
Old 12th February 2009, 01:22 AM   #1288
diyAudio Member

Default Re: THD performance

Quote:
Originally posted by PHEONIX
Hello dusfor99

With ES9018 what is the THD at 10kHz is it -120dB like at 1KHz.

What is the PSRR of the the 3.3V analog supply with respect to the current ouput configuration.

Reagards.
Arthur

THD+N unweighted is 120 db from 20 to 20k

Dustin
Old 12th February 2009, 01:26 AM   #1289
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Es9018

Quote:
Originally posted by schro20

Dear Dustin,

I'd like to understand better the capabilities which are exposed by letting users set the filter characteristics. For example, is there enough flexibility to do a design which has a stereo signal coming in and splitting it for each channel into three (six outputs total) to drive active 3-way speakers? For a given channel how much flexibility is there in the filter. For example, how many taps does it have? What bit length the coefficients and what bit length for the internal arithmetic?

Peter

Hi Peter,

The bit lenght for the coefficients is 32, the inter MAC unit is 64 bits. Each of the 8 channels can have its own unique coefficients. ThIs is ideal for making an active Xover that will not have an phase problems. (well other than the speakers phase responce itself). We are almost done with a new GUI that can be used if you have a demo board that actaully has a graphical filter builder built into it. Soon..

Dustin
Old 12th February 2009, 11:59 AM   #1290
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Es9018

Quote:
Hi Cauhtemoc

THe chip will now autodetect if the input stream on data1 is SPDIF or not. If its not, it will try to see if its I2S or DSD. SO there is not need for a MCU to program it to get it into SPDIF mode.

Dustin
Thanks. This is exactly what I had hoped for, and it's a feature that should clearly have been in the old DAC.

What can you tell us about the new ADC? Could you tell us the DNR for example, as this is something that appears to be missing from the product brief on your website. It also appears that the ADC does not require a microcontroller, and all configuration is done via pin-strapping, is this correct?

Hide this!Advertise here!