USB based DAC project - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th February 2008, 11:30 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default USB based DAC project

Hello everyone,

I am new to electronic design and I have to build an audio circuit for a college project.

I have to design and build a USB based hi-quality audio DAC.

After having a mini research I found the PCM2205 IC from Texas Instruments that does the whole job and more. I wouldn't like to use this IC though because it will be very easy. I may do it at the end but i would like to try to buid some of the part myself and not use one chip for the whole project.

I would like to find an appropriate USB module and build the DAC on my own(ideally).

Is the UM232R USB module appropriate for my project?http://www.ftdichip.com/FTProducts.htm
Can you suggest me any other way of interfacing a DAC to USB

I would really appreciate any help either on the USB part or on the DAC part of the circuit (part numbers, circuits, links, ...)

Thank you
Old 10th February 2008, 04:28 AM   #2
Clutz is offline Clutz  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Re: USB based DAC project

I can't find any information on the PCM2205 IC, it's not listed on Texas Instruments website. That said, what you are going to want to do is get something like a PCM270x chip. This will act as the USB receiver, and it will output the I2S signal that many modern DACs use. After that, you've got a large number of options. Some good ones include the PCM1794/6/8. That is a pretty good one to go with because it has the digital filter uilt into it. If you use an older DAC, like say the PCM63, you will have to have a separate digital filter. If you wanted to go the NOS route, you could use the TDA1541A. I even believe I've seen some NONOS designs using the AD1865 chip.

But picking out the chips that you want to use is the easy part. You also have to work out the power supplies and voltage regulation, and then finally you have to do the schematic and the layout.

Quote:
Originally posted by bluetech
Hello everyone,

I am new to electronic design and I have to build an audio circuit for a college project.

I have to design and build a USB based hi-quality audio DAC.

After having a mini research I found the PCM2205 IC from Texas Instruments that does the whole job and more. I wouldn't like to use this IC though because it will be very easy. I may do it at the end but i would like to try to buid some of the part myself and not use one chip for the whole project.

I would like to find an appropriate USB module and build the DAC on my own(ideally).

Is the UM232R USB module appropriate for my project?http://www.ftdichip.com/FTProducts.htm
Can you suggest me any other way of interfacing a DAC to USB

I would really appreciate any help either on the USB part or on the DAC part of the circuit (part numbers, circuits, links, ...)

Thank you
Old 10th February 2008, 11:31 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thank for the reply

Sorry i made a mistake. I ment the PCM27xx series. I can find from Farnell the PCM2702EG4, PCM2704DB, PCM2705DB or the PCM2702E. I was ment to write PCM2705

Before i use any of those ICs, I would like to try with an external USB module like the UM232R
http://www.ftdichip.com/FTProducts.htm

Has anyone ever used one of those or similar?

thank you
Old 10th February 2008, 06:34 PM   #4
dddac is offline dddac  Germany
diyAudio Member

sure,

check my website, it is all there

doede

website usb dac

or direct
Old 11th February 2008, 06:22 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Hello,
I've just realized today that there are in the market USB microcontrollers. For example the PIC18F2450. http://www.microchip.com/stellent/id...cName=en023497

So far i have used only much smaller micros for silly LED flashing projects. Does anyone know if I can use this for my project and how difficult will be?

Thank you.
Old 11th February 2008, 11:56 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

It is unclear what you are trying to accomplish here. You can use one of the PCM270X family parts to get your USB->I2S interface easily, then hook almost any DAC up to the I2S side. If you are worried about how hard using a part not optimized for this application will be, use the PCM270X. You seem to be asking for a setup that is easy...but not too easy.
Old 12th February 2008, 02:47 AM   #7
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by b-square
You can use one of the PCM270X family parts to get your USB->I2S interface
You can also use the DAC built into the PCM270x... an idea i would have poo-pooed until i heard quite a decent exection of it (in the KingRex T20U). This outperformed a DAC using 270x>IS2>1543 that cost more than the KingRex.

dave
Old 12th February 2008, 05:14 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by planet10

You can also use the DAC built into the PCM270x... an idea i would have poo-pooed until i heard quite a decent exection of it (in the KingRex T20U). This outperformed a DAC using 270x>IS2>1543 that cost more than the KingRex.

dave
Re-read OP. He specifically does not want to use an integrated solution as this is a school project to learn something (but not too much!).

bb
Old 14th February 2008, 08:34 PM   #9
Archwn is offline Archwn  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi Dave,

What is in KingRex T20U then? Just for the record.
Old 15th February 2008, 02:34 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

One of the PCM270X devices from TI, just like he said.

Hide this!Advertise here!