Pcm63p-y ??? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd February 2008, 05:06 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Question Pcm63p-y ???

Has anybody ever HEARD the sound of the Burr Brown PCM63P-Y in real life?

According to the mythology, this "Y" selection grade should have been the absolut-best of all PCM63’s; however, there is Zero information about this particular PCM63P in the "Y" Version on the Internet.

Every possible info about this mystery would be mostly appreciated. There should be somebody who at least heard it once, somewhere, sometime ?
Old 2nd February 2008, 05:33 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I have a pair of K2 but never heard of Y.
Old 2nd February 2008, 05:45 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default Picture is Attached (PCM63P-Y)

Attached is a picture of a PCM63P-Y. This is all what I found until now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pcm63p-y_516597.jpg (14.9 KB, 1804 views)
Old 2nd February 2008, 05:51 PM   #4
Netlist is offline Netlist  Belgium
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

The datasheet (from ti) has it listed but doesn't explain what K2 and Y mean.
Try mailing TI.

/Hugo
Old 2nd February 2008, 06:06 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

To Hugo (Netlist):

Contacting TI is a good idea, thank you! They might not be able to tell me too much about the sound quality, I’m afraid, but I will give it a try.

Meanwhile, I read several complains here around (in different threads) about not finding good quality PCM63P (and/or PCM 63P-K). I somehow agree, as at least my own 2x PCM63P are not producing the same sound in R and L channels. Switching between them brings different sound-stage impression (!).

There are of course new possibilities with PCM1704U-K (instead of PCM63). However, I was (and still am) wondering, how come the PCM63P-Y remains completely out of any awareness.

To Bernhard:

It will be interesting to compare once the K2 version with the Y.

Summery:
Hope that someone will open my (our) eyes soon!
Old 2nd February 2008, 06:15 PM   #6
Netlist is offline Netlist  Belgium
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally posted by irgendjemand
They might not be able to tell me too much about the sound quality, I’m afraid, but I will give it a try.
Looking at the datasheet, they list the P, P-1, P-J, P-K, P-K-2 and P-Y.
The only difference between the P, J and K versions is the dynamic range and THD.
It is very well possible that the K2 and Y are selected for even better specs in both areas.

/Hugo
Old 2nd February 2008, 07:42 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I went several times through all TI / BB info before asking the board about this PCM63P-Y Version. The THD and the Dynamic Range makes big difference indeed: Since I exchanged to the known “K” Version, I feel that music is coming from “all around”, the sound is more subtle and there is less “Loudspeaker” feeling. So I do expect from a “Y” selection even more fine Dynamic and less noise, which are going very much together. This is exactly my point.

There are 291 threads (1000+ inquiries) here on “diyAudio” dealing with PCM63P, and some more which are dealing with PCM63P-K and PCM63P-K2.

BUT - noting on PCM63P-Y… It might have been much too expensive for a try; I feel much the same now.

There should be somebody who at least heard it once, somewhere, sometime … I remain optimistic.

Many thanks, also in advance!
Old 5th February 2008, 07:04 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Default Just bought a pair of PCM63P-Y...

I have just bought a NOS (new old stock) pair of PCM63P-Y, for 135 US Dollar. As my DAC (AVM DAC 1.2) can not go “higher” then 20 Bit, it might be a good investment. I hope so!

I hope to get the PCMs soon; will compare them then with the “K” and “K2” versions and will also report here my impressions.
Old 5th March 2008, 10:24 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Default PCM63P-Y is amazing!!

Hi everybody,

I promised here once a report about the “PCM63P-Y” once I will get them, so here it is:

The really great thing about them is the sound presentation: This “Y” selection grade sounds very full, round, presenting a lot of "body" into the sound. It is like one hear a Class-A orchestra against a Class-B one: The main difference is that each of the instrumentalists of the Class-A orchestra is not just controlling his instrument better, he also produces the better sound quality from his own instrument. Same with this “Y”: Everything simply sounds richer, there is more resonant, it sounds correct and absolute realistic.

Other PCM63 that I know can't do this in the same way: Even the “K” selection (which is much better then the normal “P” or “J”) sounds only as the small brother in compression.

The pleasure has its price: about 130.- US $ for a pair is not exactly a cheap-buy. I got them from Juang (Jakarta, Indonesia). How this guy get this great chips – I have no idea, but he get them! If I understand him right, the “PCM63P-Y” (made by BB Japan) are being used in the studios, mainly in the digital control panels/desks.

Last but not least interesting: I compared them to Monarchy Audio’s PCM1704U-K adaptors (which is an adaptor-replacement for the PCM63P-K) as well. The PCM1704U-K Adaptor sounds "weaker" then this “Y” magic. In compression, the 1704 sounds more refined then the PCM63-K, but in compression to the “Y” it sounds somehow “intellectual”; one miss the right “feeling”, the stage has less space and all in all it is somehow a sophisticated shadow of this “vibrating” and compelling “Y”.

I tried all the above chips with having the DF1704 as a filter, configured to 20 bit output. I did not try the PCM1704 in 24 bit configuration. Indeed, after hearing this “Y”, I can’t even imagine that the PCM1704 can gain so much of advantages he needs to get - through 24bit configuration, at least not while still performing the common 16 bit CDs and without Upsampling.

I hope this helps.
Old 6th March 2008, 09:09 PM   #10
A'af is offline A'af  Indonesia
diyAudio Member

Hi IY,

Seems you already reveal the "mystery"... well done!!

I also shock when first try to this chip, the sound is very "full" and the dynamic is just there! Never heard before like this from PCM63P... sounds is like from different chip. thanks for the confirmation.

goodluck with your projects and your orchestra

just to add to your previous post, the price is for pair

all the best,
a'af

Hide this!Advertise here!