E-MU 0404 USB Modification? - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd October 2009, 05:22 PM   #21
iko is offline iko  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmak View Post
There is no point in modding this unit unless one can get rid of the 110kHz generated by the switching power supply inside.
Which smps inside are you referring to? Inside the 0404?
Old 3rd October 2009, 05:50 PM   #22
Crassus is offline Crassus  Finland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmak View Post
There is no point in modding this unit unless one can get rid of the 110kHz generated by the switching power supply inside.
I'm not sure if I understand what you are talking about? 110khz? Could you perhaps point to certain components on the PCB? Anyway, I'm planning on using an old ZIP-drive PSU instead of the wall wart that came with the 0404. Don't know if it makes any difference but testing it doesn't cost more than the connector.

Quote:
Even on spdif output with an exteranal dc supply, the unit is far inferior sounding to a $75Musiland US 01 which is capable of 192k output.
I haven't seen the output on an oscilloscope but to distinguish between two devices I would suspect that maybe the difference has something to do with the device firmware/drivers. I doubt that there's a difference that would remain in ABX testing...

Quote:
The software on the 0404 also sucks and this is typical of Creative who supplies hundreds of MB of Junk Software which is not necessary.
Sure, the SW package is a bit large but the SW seems solid. I have never had problems with the 1212M and the 0404 seems to be working just fine once I defined the sample rate in Windows correctly (so that the device doesn't try to change the sample rate on the fly... I have a bit of a mixed setup).

Last edited by Crassus; 3rd October 2009 at 05:54 PM.
Old 4th October 2009, 05:56 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crassus View Post
I'm not sure if I understand what you are talking about? 110khz? Could you perhaps point to certain components on the PCB? Anyway, I'm planning on using an old ZIP-drive PSU instead of the wall wart that came with the 0404. Don't know if it makes any difference but testing it doesn't cost more than the connector.

I haven't seen the output on an oscilloscope but to distinguish between two devices I would suspect that maybe the difference has something to do with the device firmware/drivers. I doubt that there's a difference that would remain in ABX testing...

Sure, the SW package is a bit large but the SW seems solid. I have never had problems with the 1212M and the 0404 seems to be working just fine once I defined the sample rate in Windows correctly (so that the device doesn't try to change the sample rate on the fly... I have a bit of a mixed setup).
Look at the input voltage terminals with a good scope; doesnt matter what you use as dc source, the 110kHz modulation is there.
Old 4th October 2009, 05:58 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikoflexer View Post
Which smps inside are you referring to? Inside the 0404?
Inside where it goes from 5V to whatever voltages are needed. there is an approx 110kHz modulation of what is fed in as dc.
Old 29th October 2009, 02:52 AM   #25
diyAudio Member

Hi, I'm interested in extensively modding my 0404 USB, and for that I need its circuit schematics, as detailed as I can get them. If anyone has these, I would appreciate a PM or a link to them.
Old 12th January 2010, 06:43 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

Since I have a Sennheiser HD-650, I am quite interesting in this discussion. Talking about DC-DC converter, it works just like a switching mode power supply: we can convert the voltage up, down or even revert the polarity of the input 5V supply. From what I read so far, it looks like this "SMPS"'s working frequency is too low: 110KHz. This is definitely a good sound killer without any doubt (even it is working on 10MHz freq, you still can hear the difference, trust me)! However, using some ferrite bead, ceramic caps around those DC-DC converter (of course, you need to cut the traces), I think it is still possible to improve 0404 USB to a quite decent headphone amp. Again, how to implement this modification, we need to get a schematics first. If you feel the sound is lean and dry, that is what we are talking about: 110KHz DC-DC converter operating freq. and its higher order harmonics.
Old 5th February 2010, 09:33 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Has anyone found a service manual or schematic of the EMU ? I would also be willing to buy one if you know a place that sells them.
Old 14th February 2010, 01:21 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Default Schematics for EMU 0404 USB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Soundcard View Post
Hi, I'm interested in extensively modding my 0404 USB, and for that I need its circuit schematics, as detailed as I can get them. If anyone has these, I would appreciate a PM or a link to them.
I am also seeking schematic and block diagram. I am using emu 0404 usb and Tracker for measurements, primary reason is that on 44.1kHz, 24bit, MIN gain settings I get fairly good dynamic range. Tracker gives me better isolation fro 110V line, while its input noise is considerable worse than EMU 0404 USB.

Recently I deal with recording signals in frequency band below 0.1Hz - 0.01Hz. I am desperate enough to get into the endstage circuit in order to avoid all coupling capacitors and bypass low quality circuits between Lin In - ADC. Has anyone injected signal directly into ADC? Improvement noticed?
Old 3rd March 2010, 08:25 PM   #29
iko is offline iko  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

Bump, I've setup a wiki here

E-MU 0404 USB mod wiki - diyAudio

to help anyone that's interested in modifying the 0404 usb. Anyone with any hard data please feel free to contribute.
Old 3rd March 2010, 08:45 PM   #30
JimT is offline JimT  Canada
diyAudio Member

Ikoflexer,

I posted recently about a noise issue with the 0202. I expect it is also a problem with the 0404. It may be of use to you.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/solid...rments-12.html

Jim

Hide this!Advertise here!