E-MU 0404 USB Modification? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th September 2009, 06:51 PM   #11
Crassus is offline Crassus  Finland
diyAudio Member

Can't modify my previous message and the forum image zoom broke the links. Here are the full sized ones:
Click the image to open in full size. - link
Click the image to open in full size. - link
Old 27th September 2009, 06:59 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

There is not much you can “hack” or “tweak” with the 0404-USB. It is full if tiny SMD’s, even some BGA’s. The PSU consist of several DC-DC converters and it is hard to track the routing on the boards. Besides that it is of a stacked board construction that makes modding not easy.

Regarding performance: My M-Audio Audiophile192 does better for the same money. And that is a PCI card inside my main PC.

However for general audio measurement the 0404 is fine with a laptop.
Old 1st October 2009, 06:07 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Pjotr, I sort of disagree. The AK chip is suberb and I would imagine that taking the signal out from the DAC legs via a transformer would be a great "hack" but that's something that I'm not going to do.

I was interested in smaller scale experimentation. Coupling cap shorting, mute transistor removal etc but I'm afraid my skills in tracing the PCB or even understanding what the SMD components in the analog output section do is what's stopping me. In other words I have very little knowledge of these sort of things (knowing which SMD thingies are filter/coupling caps and what I could short/bridge) but that hasn't stopped me from previously following advice and soldering different tweaks with good results.

So, if someone who can read schematics (AK reference board I linked previously) wants to give me a hand I would appreciate it very much. The difference the cap shorting alone did on the 1212M was something I liked very much and have a feeling that the 0404 would benefit a lot from similar tweaks. I just don't know what to do just by looking at the PCB so I can't unleash the full potential of the 0404
Old 1st October 2009, 07:23 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

I've seen comments like these:

"I have modified the 0404 by shorting out the output buffer and output caps which increased the bass and lifted a slight veil - worth doing IMO" around the internet but I haven't been able to find any pics about exactly what to jumper. The description matches what I experienced on the 1212M when tweaking it.

(For admin/moderator: I joined DIyaudio in January. When can I post freely without a moderator checking each message?)
Old 1st October 2009, 07:35 PM   #15
Salas is offline Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crassus View Post
Can't modify my previous message and the forum image zoom broke the links. Here are the full sized ones:[/url]
Uploaded them for you. Will let administrators know about your still newbie issue.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4814698.jpg (96.0 KB, 346 views)
File Type: jpg 4814676.jpg (106.8 KB, 341 views)
Old 1st October 2009, 07:50 PM   #16
iko is offline iko  Canada
diyAudio Moderator

I just got an 0404 usb as well, and might try to improve some little things. At the very least I'll build a low noise shunt regulated 5V psu to replace the original one. I ran some tests last night using RMAA and the lowest self loop thd was about 0.00032 (48Khz/24bit). The thd seemed to vary wildly on the input and output volume setting (even when making sure there is no clipping). I'm not sure how much these numbers can be trusted anyway. Different software gives different results.

FWIW, I also bought it for measurement purposes, but maybe it was a mistake.
Old 1st October 2009, 08:00 PM   #17
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crassus View Post
(For admin/moderator: I joined DIyaudio in January. When can I post freely without a moderator checking each message?)
Fixed.
Old 2nd October 2009, 03:48 AM   #18
CBRworm is offline CBRworm  United States
diyAudio Member

It's funny - I also have an 0404 usb that I use solely for measuring purposes with a laptop.

I don't know that I have listened to actual music out of it through USB - they are supposed to sound much better than their price range.

I bought it with the intent of using it for measuring and as a test preamp/dac for projects - but never got anywhere with the DAC portion due to not being able to easily use the spdif in/outs without soundforge or some other ASIO app - and even then it's not very smooth compared to the m-audio patchpanel/mixer on the 1010. As a small preamp it works pretty well - it is nice to have the LED level indicators on the inputs.

I don't like that it doesn't automatically sync to different sample rates - another plus for my 10 year old M-audio set.
Old 2nd October 2009, 03:57 AM   #19
diyAudio Chief Moderator

I don't see a low bias voltage minijack mic input for electret at its pictures on the web. My tracker pre has it, and I don't use my dedicated pre for the Panasonic capsule speaker mics now. Less kit and cable and it was eating its battery fast enough that mic pre. Plus it relies on laptop's usb power also if I wanna take it somewhere to measure.
Old 3rd October 2009, 04:12 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumanauw View Post
I just buy E-MU0404 USB, for measurement purpose. In standard form, this sound card is quite good, all noise are below 120dB.

What modification can be done to this unit, to get better measurement properties? In loop back FFT, there seems some frequencies are rising.

The opamps are NE5532 and NJM2068. Is it OK to replace those dual opamps with OPA2134?
There is no point in modding this unit unless one can get rid of the 110kHz generated by the switching power supply inside.

Even on spdif output with an exteranal dc supply, the unit is far inferior sounding to a $75Musiland US 01 which is capable of 192k output.

The software on the 0404 also sucks and this is typical of Creative who supplies hundreds of MB of Junk Software which is not necessary.

Hide this!Advertise here!