Behringer Ultracurve review - Page 7 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd August 2003, 09:24 AM   #61
ergo is offline ergo  Estonia
diyAudio Member

zygibajt, with Behringer if lucky you can tame the room standing waves and such problems. For reflections, decay times etc. still it does not do a lot, so additional treatment might still be very useful.

Ergo
Old 23rd August 2003, 09:28 AM   #62
diyAudio Member

Difficult question. Purist would probably prefer room adjustments. I think it is quite difficult to finetune these adjustments, so you get rather crude "corrections".

Digital adjustment should be more easy (at least for 1 listening spot, however you have plenty presets for different spots),

I try to do the low end adjustments ( < 200 Hz) with the Beringer (in digital domain) and the rest with carpets, curtains etc. Ofcourse unless you have a digital crossover the mid/high signal still passes the DSP.

If you prefer analog all the way I guess room adjustments is the best option (or very expensive analog equalizers).

Edit .and indeed as ergo noted it only levels the signal level and doesnt cancel reflections, etc.
Old 23rd August 2003, 10:22 AM   #63
diyAudio Moderator

I would go with as much room treatment as you can get away with, then use the Behringer to ameliorate the rest.

Most room treatment methods will run into SAF, but bear in mind, you can get good results just by moving a bookcase or similar.
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 23rd August 2003, 10:52 AM   #64
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the answers.They 've been very useful for me.
I must say that I have a room dedicated to hi-fi (better fi) Audio equipment,and for a couple of months have been playing with diffrent kinds of diy (but very high quality) room treatments devices.After reading this thread I started to think that the Behringer might be a miracle cure ,and it would save me plenty of work with room acoustics regular way.But I suppose that kind of miracle won't happen.Now I know that I can invest the money I would spend on Behringer in building some good bass traps or other useful devices.
One more question:
What would You recommend for measuring room response?
Any DIY idea?
Bartek
Old 23rd August 2003, 08:43 PM   #65
diyAudio Member

The best approach would be to get the room response as good as possible before fiddling with equalization.

For many, there are severe practical limitations to getting the room (and speakers) perfect.

A Behringer unit will likely help you significantly.

Petter
Old 15th September 2003, 09:03 PM   #66
JayV is offline JayV  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Question setup

I have recently bought a DCX2496 to use as filter for a triamp system, Linkwitz Phoenix or Orion. And now im thinking about buying a Ultracurve (and the mic) to get automatic room correction. (i will program the element correction, as well as the filters on the DCX before i use the room correction on the Ultracurve).

Is this a good idea? If i use digital signal from the cd to the Ultracurve, and then digital to the DCX2496, then analog to a 6 channel balanced preamp, and at last to 6 aleph2 or 6 (balanced)gainclones.

Will the sound remain good when i use digital signal all the way to the D/A of the DCX? Or will the signal degrade for each "stage"?
Old 15th September 2003, 09:09 PM   #67
tiroth is offline tiroth  United States
diyAudio Member

You will experience some degree of degradation. I would first see if the DCX2496 is sufficient.
Old 10th January 2008, 12:50 PM   #68
diyAudio Member

I`m planning to buy one of these and incorporate it in my home cinema, somehow..
Can`t figure out the best way to do it.
Should I connect it to the tape monitor rca in/out, with a DI box to convert the -10dBu signal to +4dBu before and maybe after the equalizer? Have read that it does not give a good result using
just the line level signal.

Hide this!Advertise here!