About a discrete I/V preamp for a no-os TDA1541 Dac

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello

I want to made a discrete I/V preamp for a no-os TDA1541 Dac, here is a circuit. The 51R resistor are for the I/V conversion.

Do it need a nfb ?

What is the formula to calculate the value of L1 L2 C1 for a bessel 20khz low pass filter ?

Thank

Gaetan

Attachments

• i-v fet preamp-with l.jpg
    i-v fet preamp-with l.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 1,053
Hi Gaetan,

Just a side note: the 51R will be too much for the TDA1541A, because the full output current of 4 mA will drop 200 mV on it, while the data sheet permits 25 mV only. The result is distortion. Also the idle current is 2 mA that is equivalent to 0 V analog output. This is likely to create a click when the CD starts or stops playing.

Laszlo

Hello

If 51R are too much, which value you suggest ?

For the HF from the 44khz, I can filter much.

My circuit seem not very good.

I was think to use op-amps like THS4032, LM6172 or AD625, but op-amp may not sound as good as a good discrete circuit.

But with op-amp I would use with a 3rd order modified Bessel filter as illustrated in the following image.

Thank

Gaetan

Attachments

• 19khz low pass 3nd order filter-6-b.jpg
    19khz low pass 3nd order filter-6-b.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 773
Hi,
I just use an LM6172 as recommended in the TDA1541A datasheet, followed by a 3rd order passive filter, but for NOS, I don't bother with a filter.
I also want to go discrete, but I am actually quite happy with opamp IV for now. I've tried various opamps, and I've returned to the LM6172. Others are also good (I also like the LT1361), but I prefer the '6172 personally.

Opamp IV is a good stop gap on the way to going discrete, and shouldn't provide an awkward load - like the humble resistor.

Cheers,
Phil

If you want to use a resistor for I/V with the TDA1541, you must keep the compliance voltage below 25mV as noted. So the biggest resistor you can use is just 0.025/0.004mA = 6ohms.

Which isn't very big.

The next problem is simply that your maximum audio signal output is 24mV peak-peak, so you need a gain of 100x to bring this up to line level. Doing this and preserving a decent signal-to-noise ratio will be fun...

I've stayed with more traditional active circuits.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.