ad1955 evaluation board ad1955eb.pdf

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Spartacus said:
George, have you done anything else to th player?

Thanks,
Dan

Now it is a supurb dac with the Transimpedence amp, next will come a Tent XO2 and supply to hopfully make it a supurb stand alone player, because it is a little raw with it's own clock as a player. But with my Teac VRDS-10se Tent XO3 clocked as a transport into it, it is without doubt the best dac I and many of my friends have heard, this is why I would also like to get my hands on a AD1955 evaluation board.

Cheers George

tada...

Attachments

• picture 3.jpg
    picture 3.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 1,320
Yeah that's as far as I got, try to check out and pay for it, never happen.
I sent a query to AD USA about it, hope they get back.

Just noticed something, look at the web address above, it's gone from analodevices.com.jp to just analogdevices.com This means all orders are done through the US, and we know they don't have any evaluation boards anymore.

Cheers George

The AD1955 eval is available from any AD sales office. For some reason they do not offer it online. My guess is they lose money on every board. This board is simply chocked full of hi-end parts. They spared little expense in building it.

They only portion of the board not "maxed out" are the PSU's. The PSU are still better than what you'll find elsewhere. The board uses LM317/LM337 regulators and ADSP3303's. A person may also want to fritz around with the I/V stage, but out of the box it's a great DAC and easily modded later with DIY experimentation. It's a great board as is, and perfect for the DIYer that wants a top end DAC and has experience more limited to amp building or speaker construction. DAC's are very tricky to build since the layout has such a strong influence on the sonic quality.

I believe the cost is about $200-$230usd. THere are probably $150 in highend parts on the board. The remaining $50-$80 hardly covers the engineering time, manufacturing, and distribution costs.

It's interesting that AD selectively used Vishay and Yaego resistors in the signal path. It must have taken a lot of experimentation and engineering time to make this type of determination. It's great to see real quality in the engineering to the point of figuring out that a Vishay/Dale is best in one part of the signal path and Yaego is better in another.

When I get a little more time, I'm hoping to hack a multi-disc player to output SACD to this board, since it has both SACD and LPCM digital inputs.

-David

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.