E-MU 1212M Sound Card Thread - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th August 2007, 08:55 PM   #1
Irakli is offline Irakli  United States
diyAudio Member

Default E-MU 1212M Sound Card Thread

Hi All,

I was wondering if anybody on this forum is using E-MU 1212M sound card as a source for Hi-Fi music reproduction. I appreciate if you guys share your experiense with this card and also discuss the optimal setup and tweaks.

I am using this card in my music server (fancy name for a 3 year Dell computer with WinXP). Here is the brief description of my setup:

Recording:
Exact Audio Copy (EAC) -> WMA losless codec -> Hard drive.

Playback:
Windows Meda Player 11 -> E-MU 1212M S/PDIF out -> outboard DIY DAC

My main goal here is to have a minimum signal processing from source file to digital output. In other words, to disable as many controls as possible both in sound card software and windows.

Any cool ideas are welcome.

Old 28th August 2007, 09:23 PM   #2
cuibono is offline cuibono  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi Irakli,

Nice to see another DC'er. Lots of people use soundcards here. If you're using the spdif out, you probably don't have too much to worry about. Some people replace the spdif output transformer with a better one. I haven't done it on my delta 1010lt card. I increased the capacitance on the PSU, but that might not do much for the digital side of things. I'd try and keep the spdif cable as short as possible.

Some people bypass the windows applications with foobar and asio4all, thinking that the windows system (kmixer) messes with the audio. I haven't done this either, and I'm not sure it makes a difference. check out http://homerecording.com/bbs/ for more people messing with things.

The 1212m is supposed to be a good card, although there are lots that test to about the same specs. I use an external DAC (peter daniels NOS), like you, and it makes a huge difference. Maybe most of the difference. So look at your external dac if you really want to upgrade.
Old 28th August 2007, 11:00 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default file system

How about trying a different some different lossless formats, WMA isn't the most common lossless format. Try some of these:

Monkeys Audio (.APE)

FLAC (Probably the most commonly used lossless format)

WAV (No compression, pure data)
Old 28th August 2007, 11:06 PM   #4
SunRa is offline SunRa  Romania
diyAudio Member

This is a must read thread then. Soundcheck has even provided us a wiki page with a real-time operating sistem optimised for audio playback. Again, a must read.
Old 28th August 2007, 11:32 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Hi,

I have an EMU1212M. If you installed EMU drivers and patchmix software, you already bypass windows sound system. EMU has its own ASIO drivers (recommended), better than ASIO4ALL.

The DAC in the daughter card is a CIRRUS CS4398 with balanced outputs (recommended). You will be surprised with the sound.

I never used Windows media player, I don't even know if it supports ASIO drivers.

I use Foobar, very fast and light, and works perfectly with EMU ASIO drivers.

The only defect is that mine is now broken
Old 28th August 2007, 11:38 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Thomas, or anyone else with a 1212M, I've been trying for a while now to configure mine as a measurement tool. I just can't seem to figure out Patchmix. Any advice/experience?
Old 29th August 2007, 12:05 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Not so easy patchmix.

Think of it as an interface between Windows and the sound card. Windows can't see directly the card, it sees only the "strips" on patchmix.

So if you create a "Wave" strip, only then Windows "sees" a place were to send its ugly sounds. In reality Windows send commands to EMU, and EMU only has access to physical input and outputs.

You can create as many strip you want, ASIO, Wave, ADAT... each one will be a resource to be used by a consumer.

Each strip must be connected to a physical input or physical output or logical output (ASIO). In the right panel you see the resources avalaibles and the input/outputs avalaible: just create a link to connect, just as if it were a cable between two gears.

As measurement tool you need to configure inputs. Never used, but I think you have to create two strips for right and left mono channels, then connect them to I/O card inputs. The measurement software, then, would "see" the two inputs, just like ordinary sound card inputs.
Old 29th August 2007, 12:47 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

I forgot to mention I'm trying to use RMAA mainly, although I downloaded several audio analyzer packages, including TrueRTA, SpectraRTA, and Arta. Anyway, thanks for the help.
Old 29th August 2007, 05:40 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I forgot to mention I'm trying to use RMAA mainly, although I downloaded several audio analyzer packages, including TrueRTA, SpectraRTA, and Arta. Anyway, thanks for the help.
I have TrueRTA. Have not tried with 1212M yet, but going to in a week or so. I'll let you know how it works with this card.
Old 29th August 2007, 06:10 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Thanks a lot for interesting links guys. It will take some time to study them.

Couple comments:

You may lough, but I really like Windows Media Player 11. Nice interface and functionality. That was the main reason selecting WMA Losless.

So far my setup works very well and sounds great. The only problem is the following:
If all Windows volume controls are at max (both main out in control panel and volume control in Media player), the signal clips.
I played 0db sine wave track from test CD and indicators went red. Also I could hear nasty clipping distortion in the speakers. My estimate is that its about 2-3 db overload. I need to bring either main windows volume control or WMP volume around "80" setting and leave it there. After that everything sounds great.
Volume change means digital processing and its done by windows. It seems there is no way to turn it off. Should I worry about Windows doing the processing. I understand it is a simple multiplication, but you never know with Microsoft guys ( I remember when they had a bug in a calculator program )

BTW, I am attaching session file for PatchDSP I am using just in case if anybody is interested.
Attached Files
File Type: zip directwaveout.zip (1.0 KB, 134 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!