Bought a DCX2496..... - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd August 2007, 08:14 AM   #1
Foxx510 is offline Foxx510  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default Bought a DCX2496.....

And I love it! It sounds much better than I expected, using the digital input. Not only is it a great crossover, the parametric EQ function is wonderful. I had my FR125s flat in a matter of minutes. When they are finished, it will run my subs also. If you can look past Behringer's alleged questionable business practices, I can wholeheartedly recommend this unit for the speaker builder. Build quality isn't fantastic, my display is crooked, but at $420 AUD it's a bargain really, assuming it doesn't break down....

Just thought I would share...

Adam
Old 22nd August 2007, 10:11 AM   #2
terry j is offline terry j  Australia
diyAudio Member

I agree on the bang for the buck.

On breakdown, the one I used went off after about 18 months at the most. The sound shifted about 70% to the right, and there was often a horrible crackle in the tweeters every time I started it up (after a year or so) which a tug or two on the output leads fixed.

I bought another to replace it, but ended going with the deqx unit. The replacement is now being used to integrate some subs in with the mains, WAAY overkill for those duties, but all the parametric avaiable for the sub PLUS the parametrics in the deqx give a nice result at the end of the day.

The second one has given no problems yet, but it is still early days ha ha.
Old 22nd August 2007, 10:44 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Bought a DCX2496.....

Quote:
Originally posted by Foxx510
And I love it! It sounds much better than I expected, using the digital input. Not only is it a great crossover, the parametric EQ function is wonderful. I had my FR125s flat in a matter of minutes. When they are finished, it will run my subs also. If you can look past Behringer's alleged questionable business practices, I can wholeheartedly recommend this unit for the speaker builder. Build quality isn't fantastic, my display is crooked, but at $420 AUD it's a bargain really, assuming it doesn't break down....

Adam
Good! Once you start to want to upgrade your DCX2496, take a look how I did it . As you have found out, the DCX2496 is a great piece of kit with excellent growth potential!

Jan Didden
Old 22nd August 2007, 11:12 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

I have found it great for developing crossovers if you have some form of MLSSA FFT system mine is the old IMP.I optimise the crossover then check the phasing by inverting one channel. Then replace the digital filter with its equivalent analogue dircuit
I couldnt be bothered to build some output amplifiers for the differential configuration so bought the A500 which is good for the price . You could not buy the components for the cost. Only slight thing about it is that it is Ac coupled.
Old 22nd August 2007, 11:16 AM   #5
Foxx510 is offline Foxx510  Australia
diyAudio Member

Thanks Jan, I've already had a good look over your site, lots of great info there. For now, I will use it with my old Yamaha amp, feeding the dcx via the record out selector. You can switch spdif sources with the video switching feature of the amp, and also analog sources as normal. I will have 2 patches set up on the dcx, one for analog in, the other for spdif. I'll then feed it back into the normal aux input. The amp is an old pro logic surround amp, and has a 5 gang alps pot. I will add some rca connectors to the amp, and use the pot that was originally for the rear channels for the subwoofer volume. I hope that made sense!

Terry, did you ever work out where the problem in your unit was? I think I read about the IDC connectors playing up somewhere....
Old 22nd August 2007, 11:39 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

no I didn't, checked out getting it serviced, but for the price (with no guarantee of fixing it of course) it was simply not worth it, given the price as you say.

I'll go have a gander at Jan's site, I'm sure I've seen it before. After seeing some of that sort of stuff, I've often contemplated pulling it apart and having a look, no harm done if I've already written it off eh!

IDC, I might get back to you on that, meaning even to find out what those letters mean! It would be good to get the unit running again.

I'd like to check out the 2 ch surround that Doug Rife spoke of in his 'how to'. Of course, for me to do it when it all runs off the deqx is quite tricky, think I've got a reasonable idea how to go about it, and it would require two of these units to pull it off, so resurrecting one is always a good idea.

EDIT nahh, Jans site is new to me, will have a deeper look later but just wanted to say thanks Jan!!
Old 22nd August 2007, 12:49 PM   #7
Steve M is offline Steve M  Australia
diyAudio Member

Don't want to put a spanner in the works and the DCX2496 sounds great, but the DBX Driverack PA is much easier to use being more 'intuitional' and possibly better sounding - you just get the right result quicker with the DBX (I have both units here at the moment).

Active crossovers on the whole are a revelation, an invaluable tool for the DIY speaker builder allowing you to use a wide range of speaker drivers and lets you hit-the-mark with relative ease. And, when you get everything right I think actives are just as true to the source (meaning transparent) as passive x-o's ...all IMHO.

Regards,

Steve M.
System Pics: http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr...146370182&view
Old 22nd August 2007, 01:56 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

very quick question regarding the dcx, does anyone know how much delay it might give to the signal?? I have one on my deqx bass output, so the sub will be delayed from the woofer by this amount. Obviously in this case I can't compensate electronically for any delay, I have to move my subs closer to the LP, the question is by how much?

I've had a general figure guesstimate of around 1 ms, would this be close? I hope so, I don't want to move them much closer ha ha, though i suppose it would help with output!!

thanks for the pics steve!
Old 22nd August 2007, 02:28 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by terry j
very quick question regarding the dcx, does anyone know how much delay it might give to the signal?? I have one on my deqx bass output, so the sub will be delayed from the woofer by this amount. Obviously in this case I can't compensate electronically for any delay, I have to move my subs closer to the LP, the question is by how much?

I've had a general figure guesstimate of around 1 ms, would this be close? I hope so, I don't want to move them much closer ha ha, though i suppose it would help with output!!

thanks for the pics steve!
From the top of my head: 5mS; but check the manual, I'm not 100% sure.

jan Didden
Old 22nd August 2007, 03:03 PM   #10
ttan98 is offline ttan98  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Bought a DCX2496.....

Quote:
Originally posted by Foxx510

Adam
Foxx510, where do you buy DCX2496 at $420 AUD, I am in Melb.? thanks.

Hide this!Advertise here!