Bought a DCX2496.....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
And I love it! It sounds much better than I expected, using the digital input. Not only is it a great crossover, the parametric EQ function is wonderful. I had my FR125s flat in a matter of minutes. When they are finished, it will run my subs also. If you can look past Behringer's alleged questionable business practices, I can wholeheartedly recommend this unit for the speaker builder. Build quality isn't fantastic, my display is crooked, but at $420 AUD it's a bargain really, assuming it doesn't break down....

Just thought I would share...

Adam

I agree on the bang for the buck.

On breakdown, the one I used went off after about 18 months at the most. The sound shifted about 70% to the right, and there was often a horrible crackle in the tweeters every time I started it up (after a year or so) which a tug or two on the output leads fixed.

I bought another to replace it, but ended going with the deqx unit. The replacement is now being used to integrate some subs in with the mains, WAAY overkill for those duties, but all the parametric avaiable for the sub PLUS the parametrics in the deqx give a nice result at the end of the day.

The second one has given no problems yet, but it is still early days ha ha.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Foxx510 said:
And I love it! It sounds much better than I expected, using the digital input. Not only is it a great crossover, the parametric EQ function is wonderful. I had my FR125s flat in a matter of minutes. When they are finished, it will run my subs also. If you can look past Behringer's alleged questionable business practices, I can wholeheartedly recommend this unit for the speaker builder. Build quality isn't fantastic, my display is crooked, but at $420 AUD it's a bargain really, assuming it doesn't break down....

Adam

Good! Once you start to want to upgrade your DCX2496, take a look how I did it . As you have found out, the DCX2496 is a great piece of kit with excellent growth potential!

Jan Didden

I have found it great for developing crossovers if you have some form of MLSSA FFT system mine is the old IMP.I optimise the crossover then check the phasing by inverting one channel. Then replace the digital filter with its equivalent analogue dircuit
I couldnt be bothered to build some output amplifiers for the differential configuration so bought the A500 which is good for the price . You could not buy the components for the cost. Only slight thing about it is that it is Ac coupled.

Thanks Jan, I've already had a good look over your site, lots of great info there. For now, I will use it with my old Yamaha amp, feeding the dcx via the record out selector. You can switch spdif sources with the video switching feature of the amp, and also analog sources as normal. I will have 2 patches set up on the dcx, one for analog in, the other for spdif. I'll then feed it back into the normal aux input. The amp is an old pro logic surround amp, and has a 5 gang alps pot. I will add some rca connectors to the amp, and use the pot that was originally for the rear channels for the subwoofer volume. I hope that made sense!

Terry, did you ever work out where the problem in your unit was? I think I read about the IDC connectors playing up somewhere....

no I didn't, checked out getting it serviced, but for the price (with no guarantee of fixing it of course) it was simply not worth it, given the price as you say.

I'll go have a gander at Jan's site, I'm sure I've seen it before. After seeing some of that sort of stuff, I've often contemplated pulling it apart and having a look, no harm done if I've already written it off eh!

IDC, I might get back to you on that, meaning even to find out what those letters mean! It would be good to get the unit running again.

I'd like to check out the 2 ch surround that Doug Rife spoke of in his 'how to'. Of course, for me to do it when it all runs off the deqx is quite tricky, think I've got a reasonable idea how to go about it, and it would require two of these units to pull it off, so resurrecting one is always a good idea.

EDIT nahh, Jans site is new to me, will have a deeper look later but just wanted to say thanks Jan!!

Don't want to put a spanner in the works and the DCX2496 sounds great, but the DBX Driverack PA is much easier to use being more 'intuitional' and possibly better sounding - you just get the right result quicker with the DBX (I have both units here at the moment).

Active crossovers on the whole are a revelation, an invaluable tool for the DIY speaker builder allowing you to use a wide range of speaker drivers and lets you hit-the-mark with relative ease. And, when you get everything right I think actives are just as true to the source (meaning transparent) as passive x-o's ...all IMHO.

Regards,

Steve M.
System Pics: http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?vevol&1146370182&view

very quick question regarding the dcx, does anyone know how much delay it might give to the signal?? I have one on my deqx bass output, so the sub will be delayed from the woofer by this amount. Obviously in this case I can't compensate electronically for any delay, I have to move my subs closer to the LP, the question is by how much?

I've had a general figure guesstimate of around 1 ms, would this be close? I hope so, I don't want to move them much closer ha ha, though i suppose it would help with output!!

thanks for the pics steve!

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
terry j said:
very quick question regarding the dcx, does anyone know how much delay it might give to the signal?? I have one on my deqx bass output, so the sub will be delayed from the woofer by this amount. Obviously in this case I can't compensate electronically for any delay, I have to move my subs closer to the LP, the question is by how much?

I've had a general figure guesstimate of around 1 ms, would this be close? I hope so, I don't want to move them much closer ha ha, though i suppose it would help with output!!

thanks for the pics steve!

From the top of my head: 5mS; but check the manual, I'm not 100% sure.

jan Didden

Foxx510 said:

Adam

Foxx510, where do you buy DCX2496 at $420 AUD, I am in Melb.? thanks.

I hope this isn't considered threadjacking. I have a couple questions reagarding the DCX. First, when you set the delays for the drivers, do you measure the distance from one driver to the next from the front edge of the speaker, the dust cover or the voice coil (or some other reference point) to determine the relative locations of each speaker range? In my installation I have 18s in the bottom which are a few inches deep. The Vifa 5.5" mids are maybe an inch or so deep and the tweeter is a Vifa XT dual concentric, the radiating surface of which is basically at the face.

My second question is regarding the digital in. I see that the DCX has an XLR input which can double as a digital input. How do I connect the digital output of my source (a coax digital from my receiver) to the DCX? I found this from Hosa. Is this the best solution? http://www.fullcompass.com/product/296455.html

Thanks,

Graydon said:

My second question is regarding the digital in. I see that the DCX has an XLR input which can double as a digital input. How do I connect the digital output of my source (a coax digital from my receiver) to the DCX? I found this from Hosa. Is this the best solution? http://www.fullcompass.com/product/296455.html

Thanks,

You can just make an adapter cable. Put an RCA connector on one end, and an XLR connector at the other end. Use 3-conductor wire. At the RCA end, short the ground pin to the -signal pin.

Works just fine in my system.

preiter said:

You can just make an adapter cable. Put an RCA connector on one end, and an XLR connector at the other end. Use 3-conductor wire. At the RCA end, short the ground pin to the -signal pin.

Thanks, I'll try that.

I want to feed the digital output from my surround processor to my DCX so that at least the main L & R channels will be digital all the way from the CD to the crossover.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
preiter said:

Yes that'll work. In most music stores you can also buy an XLR-to-RCA adaptor for a few dollars. Plugs into the DCX, and your coax plugs in the adapter. Neutrik has them.

Jan Didden

Thanks for the replies guys. This is great.

Now, on the delay setting... I am guessing that the best way to set the delays would be to send an impulse signal to the DCX and measure the time it takes for each signal to reach the microphone. Then adjust the three ranges to suit. When I get Speaker Workshop up and running, I'll try that.

Graydon said:

Now, on the delay setting... I am guessing that the best way to set the delays would be to send an impulse signal to the DCX and measure the time it takes for each signal to reach the microphone.

Or you could just plug the microphone directly into the 'C' input of the DCX and use the "Auto-Align" function built in to the unit! Read the manual for details!

Re: Re: Bought a DCX2496.....

ttan98 said:

Foxx510, where do you buy DCX2496 at $420 AUD, I am in Melb.? thanks.

Give Factory Sound in Melbourne a call. They don't carry them as stock, but only takes a few days to get them in. I got that price by asking if they could match another online store that was doing them for $440 delivered. That might be the way to go, as it is a lot cheaper than the list price, rather than than ask they do it for $420 straight up.

Adam

jeff mai said:

Or you could just plug the microphone directly into the 'C' input of the DCX and use the "Auto-Align" function built in to the unit! Read the manual for details!

AAAhhh, so that's it, and it's IN the manual??? Not that I need it now I have the deqx but I could never see a mic input on the back, and as for the manual.....I was probably half asleep by the time I came to it because it is so dense and impenetrable ha ha.

EDIT I really should keep this to myself, but I'm a nice bugger at the end of the day...there is one for sale over on Stereo Net classifieds for $300, I think he might even have included postage, you'll have to have a look. He does say that they are getting hard to get due to some sort of component supply problems, is that true??

And as they always say, 'Tell 'em Terry sent ya' and they'll look after you ha ha.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.