Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Line Level

Digital Line Level DACs, Digital Crossovers, Equalizers, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd August 2007, 01:43 AM   #21
terry j is offline terry j  Australia
diyAudio Member

must be getting old, it was ME that missed something. You're right it was $400, no bargain there. Sorry.
Old 23rd August 2007, 01:50 AM   #22
Davey is offline Davey  United States
diyAudio Member

The delay of the DCX2496 (with none added in programming of course) is 0.8 milliseconds. That's 800 microseconds.

Cheers,

Davey.
Old 23rd August 2007, 02:46 AM   #23
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AndrewT
Some previous posters said the auto align function in the DCX got itself confused and generated the wrong delay numbers.
The numbers produced were sensible when I used it.
Old 23rd August 2007, 03:45 AM   #24
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Davey
The delay of the DCX2496 (with none added in programming of course) is 0.8 milliseconds. That's 800 microseconds.

Cheers,

Davey.

thanks Davey...I pulled the subs forward about a foot (close to a ms delay I think) and it did make a difference. I was worried when Jan posted 5ms!! I did not like the idea of having the subs 5 ft closer than the mains ha ha.

I take the bass output from the deqx and throw a splitter on it and then eq the subs with the dcx. That way any remote control function also works on the subs. The sub signal must get degraded as of course it goes into the dcx as analog, but it's only for frequencies lower than 80 hz.

The other night the bass kinda sounded a bit 'wrong', that's when I twigged that I might have to take into account the thru time of the dcx hence the question.

Thanks to all for their answers
Old 23rd August 2007, 04:09 AM   #25
Graydon is offline Graydon  United States
diyAudio Member

I tried the self aligning setup function tonight with my setup and the numbers seemed reasonable for the sub but a little weird for the mids and tweeters. I'd still like to run some tests with Speaker Workshop when I get it running to see what the DCX did.

I just plugged the ECM8000 mic directly into the C input with no phantom power and it seemed to register a signal. Does the DCX provide phantom power for the mic? Would I get better results if I ran the mic through the mixer first?
Old 23rd August 2007, 04:59 AM   #26
FrankWW is offline FrankWW  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default [B]DCX has phantom power[/B]

DCX delay function. What I did was align the low and mid with the hf turned off and then aligned the mids and hf with low turned off.

I did this with one channel and then copied the result to the other channel. Seemed to come out pretty good.

At the time I used the mic in my Ratshack digital SPL meter. Worked OK.

Just bought a DEQ 2496 and Beringer 8000 mic. Gotta make some patch cords.

DCX has phantom power. See page last paragraph page 8 of the manual.
Old 23rd August 2007, 09:02 AM   #27
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by terry j
thanks Davey...I pulled the subs forward about a foot (close to a ms delay I think) and it did make a difference. I was worried when Jan posted 5ms!! I did not like the idea of having the subs 5 ft closer than the mains ha ha.[snip]

Terry,

You ask for the MAX delay, and that I thought was 5mS. Doesn't mean you need to use 5mS, it is of course adjustable!

Jan Didden
Old 23rd August 2007, 09:30 AM   #28
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by janneman

Terry,

You ask for the MAX delay, and that I thought was 5mS. Doesn't mean you need to use 5mS, it is of course adjustable!

Jan Didden
Aaahh, can see where we got our wires crossed! No, I wasn't asking about available delay, in my sit I wanted to know by how much the signal was delayed intrinsically by simply passing thru the dcx, so I could physically account for it with placement. thanks for your help though!

Had a read of the article you linked to regarding 'who am I', must say that personally i don't put much faith in any findings made in the psychology/psychiatric field, but that is a discussion for another day ha ha!

Will go thru your site again, maybe next time without a beer or two under my belt.
Old 23rd August 2007, 09:57 AM   #29
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by terry j
[snip]Had a read of the article you linked to regarding 'who am I', must say that personally i don't put much faith in any findings made in the psychology/psychiatric field, but that is a discussion for another day ha ha![snip]

Yeah, I had the same thing with gravity. Until I fell out of the window...

Jan Didden
Old 23rd August 2007, 10:54 AM   #30
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by janneman

Yeah, I had the same thing with gravity. Until I fell out of the window...

Jan Didden
Aaah yes, but are seriously suggesting that psychology/psychiatry are on the same plane of provability??

Have we reached another day already?? What time is it over there? Right now it's 9 pm thursday. You must be at work, so get back to it ha ha.

Hide this!Advertise here!